Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

How much did it cost you to bring your dog or cat to Taiwan?

How much did it cost you to bring your dog or cat to Taiwan?

Postby DarDar2001 » 02 Feb 2013, 09:40

Hello all! To start off I'm new to Forumosa and thinking about moving from Florida to Taiwan. I've read about many people's experiences of flying, importing, quarantining their cats or dogs in Taiwan. I have 2 cats and a 60 lb siberian husky. Chances are, I'll have to leave my furry babies in the US for various reason. I think the pet issue is my most upsetting topic with moving there. :(

How much did you spend per animal for the whole process from beginning to end? (shots, documents, any lab work, specially bought travel carriers, flights, quarantine, etc) Oh and please mention which currency you are using! Thank you for all who respond!
DarDar2001
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: How much did it cost you to bring your dog or cat to Taiwan?

Postby pilam99 » 02 Feb 2013, 10:53

Roughly 2k USD for one cat. I lived in Connecticut and vet care is quite expensive there but the quarantine in TW was the biggest chunk and I suspect the price of that hasn't gone down.
pilam99
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Confuzius » 02 Feb 2013, 11:10

whole thing, all together, from start to finish, I would say around 5k usd.

But, I did have to take a special extra trip back to the states to get our dog and he stayed in quarantine for 2 extra weeks.

But youre looking at a good 2-3k easily.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Postby riggers » 04 Feb 2013, 09:00

3 dogs, between 25 and 28kg totalled 220,000ntd from the UK. Its quite a straight forward process you don't need to use an agent.
riggers

Postby sleepingtiger » 05 Feb 2013, 07:29

please don't evn consider bringing a husky to Taiwan !! It's extremely hot here for most of the year and they suffer terrible.. many animal rights groups here in Taiwan are seeking to get the government to ban Husky's due to this fact.
sleepingtiger

Postby Rockefeller » 05 Feb 2013, 08:15

Well considering he's from FL and the husky is ok with the pan handle heat, Taipei weather would probably even be a slight upgrade to Miami weather...
sleepingtiger wrote:please don't evn consider bringing a husky to Taiwan !! It's extremely hot here for most of the year and they suffer terrible.. many animal rights groups here in Taiwan are seeking to get the government to ban Husky's due to this fact.
Rockefeller
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

Postby DarDar2001 » 06 Feb 2013, 05:18

Dang that's pricey! But then again I'm not surprised because they are live animals. My husband would not justify the cost for the cats. We currently live in Central FL and there are other huskies in our area. Our dog is fine in the summer in the house with AC and shorter runs early morning during the summer. Chances are it would be best to find him a new family here. We would likely get an apartment style home and he wouldnt have a large fenced in yard any more. He needs soft ground for longer running distances. The hard pavement is too rough on his claws. I couldn't imagine how hot he'd get with booties on in the hot weather. There's other reasons too for not bringing him. :(

Just to know my options, I'll still look and see if I can find any dog friendly areas when we go to visit in June or July. We'll be looking in Taichung because my inlaws live there. Thank you everyone for replying!
DarDar2001

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Tomhighig » 21 May 2013, 05:43

Agreed...

Prices have not gone down.

2k with the animal in quarantine for a while.

Not good at all and prices haven't changed for years.
Tomhighig

In Taiwan since: 19 Jul 1985

Postby jennifer_taiwanese » 25 May 2013, 12:02

Does pet get depressed when s/he is quarantined?
jennifer_taiwanese
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

In Taiwan since: 04 Oct 2010

Postby riggers » 25 May 2013, 15:03

I found the quarantine staff were excellent with my 3 bulldogs. They were not unhappy, just fat when they got out. They like it here too, they are sunbathing right now
riggers

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals