Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Advice on Neutering my Dog

Advice on Neutering my Dog

Postby Taiwan for Life » 22 May 2013, 09:49

Dear All,

My dog has been acting strangely recently and I think has become a bit obsessed with another female dog in the neighbourhood. When we go for walks in the neighbourhood, he sniffs the ground and follows the scent..

He's also off his food and keeps staring out the window obviously wanting to go out despite having plenty of exercise and walks. He also cries a bit when he's either out or in....

So, as a first time dog owner, I'd like some advice on neutering. I think my dog, a Golden Retriever, is about 5 years old. We rescued him from the streets, so it's a bit of a guess..

How about before and after the procedue, is there anything I should be aware of? What post surgical care will he need to make him feel more comfortable?

Thanks,

TFL
Taiwan for Life
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Advice on Neutering my Dog

Postby Icon » 22 May 2013, 10:40

Male dogs are relatively easy to take care of in this sense. The surgery is a lot less invasive. I'd recommend our vet in Qizhang, Xindian, who can take the balls off a cat in less than a minute... both of them (which means less anesthetic).

It is often advisable that doggie in question has been vaccinated beforehand and is in good health. A complete checkup before surgery is advisable. That said, dog must not eat at least 8 hours prior to surgery, nor water be given, to avoid vomiting/choking.

After the surgery, dog must be kept in a warm, quiet place for at least a day or two. Please rest assured that dog will not miss his glands. Dogs do not have that concept. He will, though, probably become more quiet and easy going, as he will not have to fight other dogs for supremacy over females. It is a myth he will gain weight. That has to do with age and exercise and feeding, and that is you, the owner's, department.

Cost: about 2K, average. Less or with refund if you live in Taipei City.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Kudos to you by being a responsible owner and "fixing" your friend. he will appreciate that.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Taiwan for Life » 23 May 2013, 13:17

Thanks for the advice. Appreciated! We just went in to book an appointment at our vet in Tianmu, and he suggested waiting a few days till the weather becomes better and it is less humid. We are settled in our decision to do it, though.

We had our cat done a long time ago, but in the last few years, he's started to do a lot of "humping". Does this mean it wasn't done properly the first time?! Our cat is now 16 years old, so we won't be having anymore done to him, just curious....!
Taiwan for Life

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Icon » 23 May 2013, 13:50

No, cat's OK, just hormonal upheaval! LOL.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby mukashi » 23 May 2013, 15:29

Taiwan for Life wrote:We had our cat done a long time ago, but in the last few years, he's started to do a lot of "humping". Does this mean it wasn't done properly the first time?! Our cat is now 16 years old, so we won't be having anymore done to him, just curious....!

My cat in his age 5-6 years old hump a lot .... we've even got him his own pillow bear as his personal boyfriend (and he did stop humping other things). But after his 7th birthday I don't see him humping anymore... not sure why... or maybe I should buy new bear :ponder:
mukashi
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby Taiwan for Life » 23 May 2013, 23:30

Just been quoted up to 10k for our dog to be "done"! The anaethestic itself is NT$3000 for a 32kg dog...going to do some investigating in the next few days... I don't mind paying it as money is not the priority and he's used to going there, but ....I'll have a look around!
Taiwan for Life

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Icon » 24 May 2013, 11:03

Froggers, what kind of a dog are we talking about?! Mine are 5kgs and I find them heavy!

BTW, does he have his chip? If not, while he's under, take the time to do that too.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Taiwan for Life » 24 May 2013, 11:43

He's chipped already, but we are also thinking of having his teeth cleaned while he's under. He's got terrible teeth, and we've been told he'll have problems later in life regarding chewing and digestions etc, so it might help to delay the inevitable.
Taiwan for Life

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Pets & Other Animals