Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Say hello to my little friend

Re: Say hello to my little friend

Postby jesus80 » 15 Jul 2015, 11:01

I love geckos. And you are lucky to have one: it feeds on insects.
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby UkJenT » 15 Jul 2015, 12:06

I used to have so many of them in my first floor apartment. I didn't mind having them around. I quite enjoyed the little guys. I did not enjoy having so many Brown Huntsman spiders though. I'm from Chicago and we don't see huge spiders like that where I'm from. Scared the crap out of me so many times. I know, after researching, that they mostly eat insects, but I just couldn't bare to live in a place with such a huge spider, so i killed so many of them. I also had a bat make itself comfortable on my porch.
UkJenT
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby antarcticbeech » 15 Jul 2015, 13:23

A few weeks back we had a bat come and stay in our building's stairwell for a day. All the windows are left often for ventilation. I thought this bat was being a bit eccentric, hanging out inside our lit stairwell at nighttime when the other bats were outside in the dark, flying around. Perhaps it just wanted to sleep in.

Most Taiwanese I speak to do not believe there are bats in Taipei but I see them all over, flying around streetlights after insects.
X
antarcticbeech
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Postby hansioux » 15 Jul 2015, 13:29

Aww, I see bats flying around all the time in Hsinchu too, always wanted to see one up close. They are adorable.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Ibis2k12 » 23 Jul 2015, 16:41

Here in Yilan I live in a 4 floor building that is surrounded by rice fields. At the ground floor we have geckos and ants that keep roaches away. On the stairway it's easy to find geckos hopping around making their cool clicking sound. And then when the sun goes down and mosquitoes start to show up, hundreds of bats start flying around our building.
Unfortunately they don't stop rove beetles :/
My picture gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/107755637@N06/
My random blog about cycling, photography and stuff. Mostly stuff.
https://randomibis.wordpress.com/
Ibis2k12
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

In Taiwan since: 14 Aug 2012

Postby Ducked » 23 Aug 2015, 06:58

Icon wrote:I am sorry to report poor gecko was found this morning floating in Toto's water dish. All efforts to revive were fruitless. RIP.

Found one in a cup of tea I'd left out overnight. Fortunately noticed it before taking a sip. Ergh!
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Ducked
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby Ermintrude » 23 Aug 2015, 11:18

In England, we have some bats living around the church. My cat is a dick. He doesn't even eat them, just chews their wings off and leaves them twitching on the floor so the short-sighted humans step on them while they're looking for their glasses, in the morning. They scare the dog, too.
'And we'll hide from the cunts, on our night reconnaissance'.
Ermintrude
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

Postby Tempo Gain » 23 Aug 2015, 14:58

Ducked wrote:
Found one in a cup of tea I'd left out overnight. Fortunately noticed it before taking a sip. Ergh!

For a second, I thought you meant a bat.

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Icon » 24 Aug 2015, 14:03

Again, I am distressed to report the death, this time by kamikaze jump, of another full grown, huge gecko. There I was, doing the dishes, letting the water run to take come of the gunk away, and when I start moving the dry dishes around, out pops not so bright gecko ... jumping into the flowing water and into the drain. To quickly to do anything about it. RIP.

There are many hanging around the dishes at any time, maybe I should really find a way to give them their own, non lethal water dish.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby hansioux » 24 Aug 2015, 14:11

Icon wrote: There I was, doing the dishes, letting the water run to take come of the gunk away, and when I start moving the dry dishes around, out pops not so bright gecko ... jumping into the flowing water and into the drain. To quickly to do anything about it. RIP.

Stop showing Finding Nemo to the geckos.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Pets & Other Animals