Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Somebody please buy these Scottish Fold kittens

Somebody please buy these Scottish Fold kittens

Postby aardvarky » 19 Jun 2013, 20:05

I don't typically endorse buying pets from pet shops. I hate pet shops. But there's one near my house and I've been stopping by it nearly every day during my close to four months here. A few months ago, they got these adorable Scottish Fold kittens. 2 of them - feisty and active - in a relatively big cage.

Two months have passed now and no one's bought them. They're now in their own individual cages and have pretty much lost their spark. They hardly seem to move. It kinda breaks my heart every time I walk past them.

I want to buy them, but 1. I can't afford both and 2. I'm leaving Taiwan really soon. Plus, I already have pets back home.

If anyone is looking to buy really adorable kittens - please buy these two. I can chip in a little.
aardvarky
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 15 Jan 2013

Re: Somebody please buy these Scottish Fold kittens

Postby Tomas » 19 Jun 2013, 20:32

You might want to tell people where the store is located.

We bought a three month old Scottish fold kitten in February this year. Scottish folds are smart, gentle, and very affectionate. Our little guy is a total sweetheart, plays with us all the time, doesn't make much noise, is not the least bit picky, understands what we say to him very well. My wife says he's more like an affectionate dog than a cat. He's been a real joy to have in our family. I also think this breed is very good looking.
Come on baby, you know you my home slice.
Tomas
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby Hokwongwei » 19 Jun 2013, 20:46

The most painful thing about living in Taiwan is knowing that I don't have the resources (money, vehicle, yard) to raise pets here, nor can I make the commitment (because I plan on leaving one of these days). I really, really wish I could help out.
This is a highly proper signature.
Hokwongwei
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Postby Icon » 20 Jun 2013, 12:20

aardvarky wrote:I don't typically endorse buying pets from pet shops. I hate pet shops. But there's one near my house and I've been stopping by it nearly every day during my close to four months here. A few months ago, they got these adorable Scottish Fold kittens. 2 of them - feisty and active - in a relatively big cage.

Two months have passed now and no one's bought them. They're now in their own individual cages and have pretty much lost their spark. They hardly seem to move. It kinda breaks my heart every time I walk past them.

I want to buy them, but 1. I can't afford both and 2. I'm leaving Taiwan really soon. Plus, I already have pets back home.

If anyone is looking to buy really adorable kittens - please buy these two. I can chip in a little.

Location? Price? Pictures?

Could be a collective effort and have them adopted to a good home... after being spayed/neutered so they won't go to a kitty mill.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby mukashi » 20 Jun 2013, 12:49

The problem is... I feel like this about almost all cats and dogs in pet stores here :((((((

cannot buy/adopt them all, and it breaks my heart~
mukashi
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby finley » 20 Jun 2013, 14:13

The problem is... I feel like this about almost all cats and dogs in pet stores here (((((

Quite. Although it's depressing to see this, giving these assholes your custom simply rewards their bad behaviour. Painful as it may be, it's better to NOT to encourage people to hand over their cash. Come to think of it, I wonder if they intentionally give animals less-than-adequate accommodation in the hope that random passersby will feel the need to 'rescue' them?
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby aardvarky » 21 Jun 2013, 13:02

Thanks for all the helpful responses. The pet shop is located on Roosevelt Road, a little ways down from the Wanlong MRT, exit 4.
The kittens were around $300 each when I first asked (when they were babies). I don't remember the exact price in NTD, I did a mental calculation in my head. I feel like he would give a discount now that they're bigger and especially if you get both at the same time. I'm not too bad at haggling, although I can't do it in Mandarin.

@ Icon: That would be awesome. I'd be willing to chip in around $100 if they can go to a good home. If anyone else is interested in chipping in and/or knows someone who could buy these cats - input would be great. I'm leaving Taipei in about a week and I'd love to see these cats in a good home before I go.

And I know what you guys mean by not giving pet shops business and there being a whole lot of animals coop-ed up in those shops, not all of whom you can "rescue" but I think when there is one or two that really gets to you, it's at least worth a try...

I don't actually know how to post pictures on here...
aardvarky

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 15 Jan 2013

Postby aphasiac » 21 Jun 2013, 15:54

Sorry I'm going to agree with another poster above; don't support them by giving them your $$$.

If you buy them, the greedy petshop owner will be laughing (probably most of that high price is pure profit) and he'll just buy another pair. If they don't sell, and they eventually have to be sold at cost-price, then maybe just maybe this store will re-consider keeping cats in the future.

I know it's hard, but stop visiting the store and try not to get attached (that's pretty much these types of stores modus operandi).
aphasiac
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Dragonbones » 21 Jun 2013, 16:54

aphasiac wrote:Sorry I'm going to agree with another poster above; don't support them by giving them your $$$.

If you buy them, the greedy petshop owner will be laughing (probably most of that high price is pure profit) and he'll just buy another pair. If they don't sell, and they eventually have to be sold at cost-price, then maybe just maybe this store will re-consider keeping cats in the future.

+1 on that
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby TheGingerMan » 22 Jun 2013, 00:37

I might make many an enemy here, but I do firmly believe that one must drive on.

When I first arrived, I took pity on many an animal in dire cicrumstance. Saved quite a few, but it soon became readily apparent that such was a trickle upon a massive flow of evil.

Call it lack of empathy, but that just ain't it.
I choose my targets, otherwise one's heart would just bleed dry.

I would most certainly never buy any kittens from a pet shop, as indeed some have mentioned the reasons why.
That said, I don't go out of my way to protect the other street innocents.
Why, just the other day, I saw a few kittens strayng upon a quite busy road. I did stop, tossed them back in the bush, yet later on the same road there were several kitten pancakes upon the asphalt.
I do hope the smarter ones, figured it out, and are alive to this day.
Darwin's rules still apply, the fittest shall survive.
Despite our human meddling.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"It shall rain for forty days and forty nights, until your vile odour is cleansed."
~~~jimipresley
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals