Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Snakes!

Re: Snakes!

Postby Nuit » 31 Oct 2015, 15:50

jesus80 wrote:I'm not an expert, but it looks like some sort of rat snake

yeah that was my call. Didn't know which one though. Id'ed by catchers as a king ratsnake (臭青母 chou4qing1mu3, or Stinking goddess),
It's raining again here.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
Nuit
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby jesus80 » 31 Oct 2015, 15:55

Cool that you gave us her ID number :D

I was thinking of this one: http://snakesoftaiwan.com/Ptyas%20mucos ... mucosa.htm
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby jesus80 » 28 Dec 2015, 03:47

I have run into a couple of snakes or perhaps three since the last post (one was dead), but today I have run into something even better:

:lol:

BTW... is Onionsack still with us?
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby onionsack » 18 Mar 2016, 13:48

jesus80 wrote:I have run into a couple of snakes or perhaps three since the last post (one was dead), but today I have run into something even better:

:lol:

BTW... is Onionsack still with us?

Still here, yes! :) I just came across my 50th snake of 2016 last night...a Lycodon rufozanatum (these used to be classified as Dinodon rufozanatum but they've recently been dumped back in the Lycodon genus... I still call them Dinos by habit..). 50 snakes before April is an unprecedented number, at least for me here in the North of Taiwan, and I'm already thinking I might have a chance to eclipse my 2015 grand total of snakes seen here in Taiwan (1,531). This is the first year in which there wasn't really a complete "down" season here in the North, and I've been seeing snakes out since New Year's day, although mostly vipers. But with the appearance of C. majors and L. rufozonatum, all signs are pointing to the herp season being imminent. I'll attach a phone shot of the L. rufozonatum I saw last night. *oh, and you had me worried with that video above...the first minute looked EXACTLY like most idiotic snake shows these days..

onionsack
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby jesus80 » 21 Mar 2016, 10:43

Hey Onionsack, nice to hear from you. I was genuinely worried... you just disappeared and we all know what two teeth can make any night (or day!).

I was wondering if the unusual temperatures had made the snakes already active... thanks for confirming.

Please come to Taipei or Sanxia some time soon and guide me to the snakes nests :D
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby onionsack » 21 Mar 2016, 14:13

jesus80 wrote:Hey Onionsack, nice to hear from you. I was genuinely worried... you just disappeared and we all know what two teeth can make any night (or day!).

I was wondering if the unusual temperatures had made the snakes already active... thanks for confirming.

Please come to Taipei or Sanxia some time soon and guide me to the snakes nests :D

Aye, sorry about that, busy year..

I should be coming to Sanxia/Taipei either next weekend or the weekend after that to have a look for snakes...I'll let you know when I firm up plans. Here's my list from 2015:

1531 Snakes of 2015

1. Cyclophiops major - 488
2. Dinodon rufozonatum – 365
3. Viridovipera stejnegeri stejnegeri - 285
4. Protobothrops mucrosquamatus - 96
5. Lycodon ruhstrati ruhstrati – 60
6. Bungarus multicinctus multicinctus – 51
7. Pareas formosensis – 33
8. Elaphe carinata - 31
9. Calamaria pavimentata – 20
10. Boiga kraepelini – 16
11. Oreocryptophis porphyracea kawakamii – 14
12. Naja atra – 11
13. Psammodynastes pulverulentus papenfussi - 9
14. Oligodon formosanus – 6
15. Sinomicrurus macclellandi swinhoei - 5
16. Amphiesma sauteri – 5
17. Xenochrophis piscator - 5
18. Euprepiophis mandarina – 5
19. Macropisthodon rudis rudis - 5
20. Orthriophis taeniurus friesi – 4
21. Oligodon ornatus - 3
22. Ramphotyphlops braminus - 3
23. Ptyas dhumnades - 3
24. Sinomicrurus hatori - 2
25. Deinagkistrodon acutus - 2
26. Ovophis monticola makazayazaya – 1
27. Pseudoxenodon stejnegeri – 1
28. Sibynophis chinensis chinensis – 1

Month – Total – (species)

1. January – 0 (0)
2. February – 0 (0)
3. March – 35 (8)
4. April – 86 (13)
5. May – 144 (13)
6. June – 272 (23)
7. July – 277 (13)
8. August – 269 (15)
9. September – 185 (11)
10. October – 74 (13)
11. November – 171 (8)
12. December – 18 (4)
onionsack

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby onionsack » 02 Apr 2016, 11:04

Spring is officially sprung! This Sibynophis chinensis chinensis (Asiatic Many-Toothed Snake or 黑頭蛇) I captured on an April 1st hike along the Tai Ping Ling trail near the Taipei harbor is my first diurnal snake of the year, or at least the first diurnal that I saw during the DAY anyway...these guys are LIGHTNING quick, and you can tell by the dirt under my fingernails that the only way to capture them is by grabbing a bunch of dirt and grass where you think they'll BE (not where they ARE: you'll miss) and hope for the best. I lucked out this time, and came up with a snake mixed in with the dirt salad. My s/o called me over after hearing a rustling on the side of the path and pointed in the direction of the commotion. At first, all I could make out was a skink, and it was only after another moment or two that I realized what was happening: there was indeed a snake, as well as a (much larger) skink, and the pair of them were engaged in full battle! Hated to interrupt Herr Many-Tooth's dinner, but after a very frustrating DNF geocache, I wasn't about to squander the opportunity..Good thing these sweeties are as docile as they are quick.. :)
onionsack

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby shastriarvind88 » 26 Apr 2016, 13:29

hi ,
I am from india I have seen many snakes in my whole life.I have seen a russel viper on my terrace.it was very big.
shastriarvind88
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

In Taiwan since: 13 Nov 1987

Postby shastriarvind88 » 26 Apr 2016, 13:33

very big snake
shastriarvind88

In Taiwan since: 13 Nov 1987

Postby jesus80 » 26 Apr 2016, 16:16

If I'm not mistaken, the scientific name of that very specimen is Habu Motherfucker. Take care!
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Pets & Other Animals