What kind of shit is this?

What kind of shit is this?

Postby Rascal » 24 Nov 2003, 10:49

Excuse my French, but I was wondering if anyone could help me to identify some droppings (i.e. shit) I found in my apartment.

Basically it looks like small grains (size like a grain of salt), black and grey in color which were all concentrated in one area - perhaps 20-30 pieces.
Upon touching they crumbled and turned into dust, so I assume these are excrements from some insect (or rodent?).
Cleaned it up on Saturday and so far there aren't any new ones.

Does anyone know what it is / where it comes from? Cockroaches or .... ?
Sign here
Forumosan avatar
Rascal
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Mother Theresa » 24 Nov 2003, 11:05

My wife is fanatical about floor cleaning and she claims to see cockroach shit from time to time, so that may be waht you found. I've discovered what I believe is mouse shit occasionally, but that's closer to the size of a rice grain.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Gecko

Postby almas john » 24 Nov 2003, 11:17

The culprit is the tropical house gecko. Although mice and gecko droppings are similar, the former have a little white sediment on the tip. WHen I first arrived here I thought my house was overrun with mice!! :shock: But it turned out it was just overrun with geckoes.
almas john
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

24 Recommends(s)
60 Recognized(s)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 24 Nov 2003, 11:33

Unsighted but accurately diagnosed.

Almos John . . you are the man!

HG
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Rascal » 24 Nov 2003, 12:14

I think house lizard shit looks different, it's more oval shaped and soft.
Also seen mouse shit before, it's not it (and I am sure I would notice a mouse, have a very sensitive hearing).
Sign here
Forumosan avatar
Rascal
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Steeevieboy » 24 Nov 2003, 12:48

I was going to say, it sounds like some of Taiwan's air blew through the window!
Steeevieboy
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

Misread

Postby almas john » 24 Nov 2003, 13:11

small grains (size like a grain of salt),

I misread the original post, thinking the droppings were the size of rice grains. I should be more careful. :oops:
Mouse and gecko droppings are larger than grains of salt, so Rascal probably has insect (most likely cockroach) droppings.
almas john

24 Recommends(s)
60 Recognized(s)

Postby jlick » 24 Nov 2003, 13:24

Carpenter Ants produce small piles of what look like coarse black pepper. They can do as much damage as termites, but are fortunately easier to eradicate, because unlike termites, they come out to forage like regular ants, and only burrow to make nests in the walls. If you've seen ants crawling about, this is probably the problem. To get rid of them you will want to use a slow acting poison that they can take back to the nest so they get the whole colony. Regular insecticides only kill the ones you see. Look for permethrin or fipronil based poisons. The chemical names will be written on the packages. Don't bother with boric acid as it doesn't track back to the nest.
Forumosan avatar
jlick
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

9 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Anonymous » 24 Nov 2003, 15:46

Spider, big big spider. The ones with hair on their legs.

I had one living inside my arm chair but didn't know it. I found the small dropping like pepper grain underneath it so I sprayed some insecticide and hopla there it was, a big dead spider.

I also found similar dropping at the head end of my bed, under it that is.

Cockroaches have droppings like rice grains.

Geckos droppings have the tell tale white tip on it and they can stick it anywhere, even on the wall.
Anonymous

Postby wolf_reinhold » 24 Nov 2003, 16:14

Vinegaroons
Whip Scorpions
"Foreigners are just not as smart as we Chinese people."
Yen Ta-jen
Kinmen (Jinmen) deputy county commissioner
Quoted in the Taipei Times, June 27, 2001
Forumosan avatar
wolf_reinhold
"Drinks for the House!"

2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Pets & Other Animals