What kind of shit is this?

Postby wolf_reinhold » 27 Nov 2003, 15:38

By the way, if you want to impress your Taiwanese-speaking friends, the big spider that you sometimes see in the house (like a big wolf spider 8-) ) is called "la1 geeya3" in Taiwanese. The numbers are the tones if it were Mandarin. There is no written Chinese for it.
"Foreigners are just not as smart as we Chinese people."
Yen Ta-jen
Kinmen (Jinmen) deputy county commissioner
Quoted in the Taipei Times, June 27, 2001
Forumosan avatar
wolf_reinhold
"Drinks for the House!"

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Tigerman » 27 Nov 2003, 15:53

wolf_reinhold wrote:By the way, if you want to impress your Taiwanese-speaking friends, the big spider that you sometimes see in the house (like a big wolf spider 8-) ) is called "la1 geeya3" in Taiwanese. The numbers are the tones if it were Mandarin. There is no written Chinese for it.

I always impress them by breaking into song:

The Who wrote:Look, he's crawling up my wall
Black and hairy, very small
Now he's up above my head
Hanging by a little thread

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Now he's dropped on to the floor
Heading for the bedroom door
Maybe he's as scared as me
Where's he gone now, I can't see

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Creepy, crawly
Creepy, crawly
Creepy, creepy, crawly, crawly

There he is wrapped in a ball
Doesn't seem to move at all
Perhaps he's dead, I'll just make sure
Pick this book up off the floor

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Creepy, crawly
Creepy, crawly

He's come to a sticky end
Don't think he will ever mend
Never more will he crawl 'round
He's embedded in the ground

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

:lol: My kid loves that song...
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

261 Recommends(s)
195 Recognized(s)

Re: What kind of shit is this?

Postby nemesis » 24 Apr 2009, 23:58

I've never been afraid of the spiders, but cockroaches terrify me. Especially these Taiwanese ones that fly and chase you around! (Where I come from, cockroaches are found in homeless shelters and tenements, and are quite small, I think. I saw my first one when I moved here.)

We had some of those big spiders in our walk-out basement, and they were great for keeping the roaches at bay. We also keep all of our food in those Lock&lock containers. So far, the odd one flies in, but no infestations of any kind. (I think we have some living in the books in the wall unit, but if I don't see them, they're not there.) I'm not sure what happened to the spiders; I miss them! I hope they return this summer.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mahatma Gandhi
Forumosan avatar
nemesis
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

11 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby Piffle » 24 May 2012, 15:45

Is anyone able to identify the animal that keeps leaving this shit in my bedroom? They range from 2 to 4mm long.

It started a few days ago. One night I was having trouble sleeping properly. Kept drifting in and out and not sleeping deeply enough. At some point I woke up to a sort of chattering/scratching noise (could've been gnawing) coming from on top of the bedside cabinet. Since I was extremely tired, hot and had a throbbing headache, I told myself I was imagining things and went back to sleep. The next morning I found shit on the bedside cabinet. Looked around and found some on the floor on my husband's side of the bed, under the bed, on the chair on his side, at the foot of the bed and trailing into the closet (but those were notably smaller than the others, if that means anything). I also found one in the study and two in another room with smaller ones trailing into another closet. I had hoovered recently, so it couldn't have been in here for long. I got rid of all the droppings. We thought it could have been a mouse.

That night, we found a massive cockroach. We killed it, guessed that was what shat everywhere. The next day I mopped the whole flat with bleach to avoid any smells left by it attracting more cockroaches. This morning I found more shit. Two on the floor by my husband's side of the bed, one on the cabinet my side and one under our pillows. :eek: Seems like it followed the same route as last time, only boldly running on the bed while we were sleeping in it! Now, in the whole 7 months we have been here, we have only had four cockroaches (including the one we killed recently) and have never found these droppings. Does anyone have any clue what it could be?
Piffle
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 24 May 2012, 15:52

Piffle wrote:Is anyone able to identify the animal that keeps leaving this shit in my bedroom? They range from 2 to 4mm long.

It started a few days ago. One night I was having trouble sleeping properly. Kept drifting in and out and not sleeping deeply enough. At some point I woke up to a sort of chattering/scratching noise (could've been gnawing) coming from on top of the bedside cabinet. Since I was extremely tired, hot and had a throbbing headache, I told myself I was imagining things and went back to sleep. The next morning I found shit on the bedside cabinet. Looked around and found some on the floor on my husband's side of the bed, under the bed, on the chair on his side, at the foot of the bed and trailing into the closet (but those were notably smaller than the others, if that means anything). I also found one in the study and two in another room with smaller ones trailing into another closet. I had hoovered recently, so it couldn't have been in here for long. I got rid of all the droppings. We thought it could have been a mouse.

That night, we found a massive cockroach. We killed it, guessed that was what shat everywhere. The next day I mopped the whole flat with bleach to avoid any smells left by it attracting more cockroaches. This morning I found more shit. Two on the floor by my husband's side of the bed, one on the cabinet my side and one under our pillows. :eek: Seems like it followed the same route as last time, only boldly running on the bed while we were sleeping in it! Now, in the whole 7 months we have been here, we have only had four cockroaches (including the one we killed recently) and have never found these droppings. Does anyone have any clue what it could be?

Looks like roach shit to me. Too small for rat droppings.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby antarcticbeech » 24 May 2012, 16:19

Might be gecko.
X
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

162 Recommends(s)
160 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 24 May 2012, 16:43

sandman wrote:Looks like roach shit to me. Too small for rat droppings.

I concur.

Seems a lot like what we had in one cabinet.
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

15 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 24 May 2012, 16:47

antarcticbeech wrote:Might be gecko.

Gecko shit looks more like bird shit.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 24 May 2012, 16:51

Five pages of shit...
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 24 May 2012, 17:09

Kid is sitting in a plane with his dad. Both are bored.
"Let's talk about something," the dad says.
"What should we talk about?" the kid asks.
"How about thermonuclear energy?" says dad.
The kid says "Okay, but first can you answer me this? How come a rabbit has turds that come out in little round regular shaped nuggets, a horse has turds that come in irregular shaped balls and a cow has mountainous loose plops, when all of them eat the same thing?"
Stymied, the dad says "I'm not really sure."
The kid says "How then, can you expect to talk intelligently about thermonuclear energy when you don't know crap?"
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Pets & Other Animals