Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Pet euthanasia cost

Pet euthanasia cost

Postby robert the bruce » 10 Dec 2014, 18:30

So anyone know how much Euthanasia of a little pet (rabbit) in Taiwan would cost?
robert the bruce
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 03 Oct 2011

Re: Pet euthanasia cost

Postby Icon » 10 Dec 2014, 18:36

robert the bruce wrote:So anyone know how much Euthanasia of a little pet (rabbit) in Taiwan would cost?

:eek:

You mean cremation/funeral? Or you really mean injection? :eek: Funerals vary in price, if you want a collective about a thousand, costs go up if private, add a ceremony, want to keep the ashes, etc.

All I know about euthanasia is that there is a lot of paperwork involved, vets must account for the dosages of the lethal injections.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby robert the bruce » 10 Dec 2014, 19:01

I mean sedation and injection. I am going to bury my rabbit in the mountains after her death. She is 10 years-old, very old, was given to me by an old friend. She has uterine cancer, 2 benign skin tumors, now she has thymoma and her eyes are bulging due to this new condition. The vet told me that my pet only has 3 months of life. Her health is going to deteriorate further more in 1 month, the chest tumor is going to compress the heart and trachea, she might not even breathe well or eat because of this growth. I asked my vet to put her down while she was ok because I don't want to see her suffering from the poor health and breathing problems but my vet refused to perform the euthanasia. The vet told me that she can only do it when the my rabbit reaches the point when it is suffering a lot of pain (which I want to spare if possible). So I am going to search another vet and see if the other vet can do the euthanasia. She is a 2.5 kg rabbit, really big, she is still eating well and happy but her condition is going to go downhill in a month.
robert the bruce

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Mucha Man » 10 Dec 2014, 19:07

Poor thing. And you. You must have treated her very well for her to live to such a ripe old age. I had a rabbit that lived to be around 10 too when I was young. Just died suddenly one day without any signs of ill health. That's the way to go.

Good luck.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

https://www.facebook.com/taiwantemples
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Icon » 10 Dec 2014, 19:11

Oh, I am sorry to hear that. Yes, a second opinion is necessary in those cases, and I commend you for wanting to spare the pain.

But it is still the vet's call. My dog has been in the threshold at least 6 times, and there has been talk of sleep at least 2. Yet he's come around.. but it is too painful to see him in bad shape. So I understand. As to the shot, sorry, can't give you exact costs, though. Last time a cat died while in vet care, they only charged hospital stay plus disposal. Will PM my vet's number, they are reasonable in all senses, both in care and cost.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby robert the bruce » 10 Dec 2014, 19:20

Icon wrote:Oh, I am sorry to hear that. Yes, a second opinion is necessary in those cases, and I commend you for wanting to spare the pain.

But it is still the vet's call. My dog has been in the threshold at least 6 times, and there has been talk of sleep at least 2. Yet he's come around.. but it is too painful to see him in bad shape. So I understand. As to the shot, sorry, can't give you exact costs, though. Last time a cat died while in vet care, they only charged hospital stay plus disposal. Will PM my vet's number, they are reasonable in all senses, both in care and cost.

Thank you, I will ask Dr. Chen about this issue.
robert the bruce

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby lostinasia » 10 Dec 2014, 19:36

Thanks for posting and asking about this - it's a sad but important topic. Best wishes for you and your rabbit.

In Taiwan, are there vets that will come to your home to put an animal to sleep? I gather this is becoming more common in North America. It's certainly something I'd like to have done when the time comes, which I hope won't happen for many years yet. The poor things are going to be in enough pain already, and I'd hate to also be putting them through the torture of the transport to the vet.
lostinasia
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Postby robert the bruce » 31 Dec 2014, 14:49

The veterinary finally agreed to put my rabbit to sleep. Gal was really in bad conditions yesterday and was having breathing problems. The doctor gave me a paper and I signed it. He charged me NT$ 2000 because my rabbit's weight was 2 Kg. The vet took her to the surgery room and asked me to wait in the lobby. Half an hour later she brought my dead rabbit inside a sealed carton box.
robert the bruce

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby hansioux » 31 Dec 2014, 15:09

She lived a long happy life. It's good to know she wasn't in a lot of pain.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Icon » 31 Dec 2014, 16:02

Thank you for making this hard choice. It isn't easy to let go of a pet yet you put her wellbeing foremost. Thank you for being a responsible owner and caring for her in her last time on this earth.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals