Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Hippo injured in transport

Hippo injured in transport

Postby tommy525 » 28 Dec 2014, 05:01

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/a ... 2003607767

Private zoos should be accredited and able to handle any wild animals before being allowed to have any.

Hope this little guy makes it. It should be confiscated and taken to a govt run zoo with proper care facilities.
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Hippo injured in transport

Postby Dr Jellyfish » 28 Dec 2014, 07:32

What happened is really sad and avoidable. Some locals thought it was a dinosaur (guess I shouldn't be so judgemental about getting called a waiguoren - at least they're getting the species correct).

The question is - is this animal really better off surviving? The state of the better zoos here are appalling. God knows how bad the one he's going to is. I remember a few years back a baby hippo died when it was born (drowned) because the water level of the hippo pen was too high. Taiwan doesn't need hippos or pandas, it's already got so many amazing creatures in the forests and mountains (which are practically everywhere). The only way you'd miss it is by living in concrete boxes, and staying mostly indoors/in the city...
Dr Jellyfish
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

Postby tommy525 » 28 Dec 2014, 15:32

I would agree in not getting more Hippos. But this one is alive in Taiwan and needs the proper care. The Taipei Zoo hippos seem on the whole to be quite ok.

Maybe there is room there for this one.

Can someone in Taiwan do me a favor, and keep an eye out on this hippo. It is hard for me to get local Taiwan news sitting in the Bay Area.

I'd like to know how this little huge guy is doing.

http://news.yahoo.com/hippo-jumps-movin ... 19580.html

Poor guy. Totally mishandled transport. I hope he didnt break his leg.
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Icon » 29 Dec 2014, 09:39

Hippo died. RIP. http://www.ettoday.net/news/20141229/444752.htm

This after many reports of how it was making a "speedy recovery". "It died suddenly, just stopped breathing". Ugh.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby urodacus » 29 Dec 2014, 10:55

Sad. Animal welfare let in the hands of a few cha bu dou-sists in the deep south is bound to end up like this. Most private zoos in Taiwan (hell, pretty much anywhere) should be closed, and animals rehoused by professionals in better conditions. For example, did you see the state of the recovery pond they dumped him into?

don't get me started on the Chinese demand for animal parts in general, and specifically towns like Mong La on the Burma/China border.

Still, I suspect they were able to get a reasonable amount for the carcass from the ro yuan guy down at the night market.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Hokwongwei » 29 Dec 2014, 10:56

The reporting on this has been below even Taiwan's very low standards. When it first broke, they tried to make it into a cutesy story about 河馬逛苗栗大街 (Hippo strolling through streets of Miaoli) or something like that. Then it became clear that A-he had been seriously injured and the reports treated it more seriously, but still didn't bother to look into the situation.

Every outlet ran the same report that took me a good five minutes to understand -- "The hippo then hit the back of a white sedan. The sedan's owner, who was at home watching TV at the time, was startled by the sound." How can the driver be at home and in his car at the same time? Well, it wasn't until I saw a picture that I realized it's a [i]parked[/] car. That really helps a lot in the comprehension department.

Anyway, nobody bothered to check if he was doing alright and just kind of assumed the episode was over. Then suddenly he died. Whoops. That's Taiwanese media for you. About as responsible as a kindergartner with a crayon.
This is a highly proper signature.
Hokwongwei
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Postby Icon » 29 Dec 2014, 11:05

Interestingly, from my knowledge of watching a lot of National Geographic, I know that hippos are dangerous creatures, responsible for hundreds of deaths of people who unexpectedly walk into their territories. To have this wild animal "casually strolling" the streets of Miaoli, knowing what it is capable of, presented as "cutesy"... words fail me.

I mean, residents and animal activists alike should be up in arms as to how this animal was so carelessly transported in the first place. What if there had been people in the car? What if Taiwanese people, unaware of the danger, tried to take pictures of it at a closer range? What if someone had been killed? Wasn't there a report recently on someone in China trying to pet a lion... with the logical consequence?

To make it worse, the same irresponsible people drop the hippo again when delivering it to a pond "for rest and healing". One wonders if the internal injuries were not compounded on purpose by heartless people who did not want to invest on a "defective" animal, meaning one that is hurt and money must be paid for medical care. If they throw away old, sick dogs, and a wounded hippo is not a money maker...

What care was available? What agency can enforce the care and transport of dangerous, wild animals? Next time it can be a bear, a tiger, a pack of wolves... anything is possible. Who an defend not only the animals but the citizens from irresponsible cheapskates? Did you see the container the animal was being transported in? Gosh, no wonder it jumped, and later, was dropped.

Can't blame the press. They go with what is given to them. And as said, there is little freedom when murkiness abounds. But my questions above, I'd like some answers, but I am not holding my breath.

Anyways, the poor hippo is finally free from the cruelty of this world. All one can hope is karma to catch up with the ones responsible for its cruel, painful demise.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Hokwongwei » 29 Dec 2014, 11:05

urodacus wrote:in the deep south

Woah there, check your privilege son. This happened in Miaoli on the way to Taichung. That's firmly central Taiwan.
This is a highly proper signature.
Hokwongwei

Postby headhonchoII » 29 Dec 2014, 11:14

The hippo got a lot of follow up press, people were going to see him in the pond and feeding him,,
he must have suffered internal
injuries or else an infection
killed him. Maybe the cold weather didnt help either.
Anyway, RIP.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby hansioux » 29 Dec 2014, 11:23

This is a perfect example of the Chabuduoism in Taiwan.

First, the private zoo's owner and his hired delivery company thought they can just use any random container with a cut out window, instead of getting a proper animal transport. How high could the hippo jump right? Chabuduo lah.

Then, after the accident, when they attempted to move the hippo to another facility for it to rest and heal, the people involved used inadequate ropes, and were unable to properly lower the new container with the hippo into its new enclosure. When the line snapped, the already injured hippo and the new container were dropping from 2 meters high on to the ground.

Then a day later the hippo died. Surprise!

Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals