Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

COA allows farmers to use their own judgements to humanely kill Formosan macaques

COA allows farmers to use their own judgements to humanely kill Formosan macaques

Postby hansioux » 08 Jan 2015, 17:24

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ ... 2003608599

This news bugged me. The Council of Agriculture approved that farmers can now kill Formosan macaques, using their own judgement to choose macaques causing "emergency to the crops." This is the regulation cited for their decision:

Wildlife Conservation Act
http://law.coa.gov.tw/GLRSnewsout/EngLa ... pe=E&id=79
Article 21
Wildlife may be hunted or killed under one of the following circumstances, regardless of Article 17, Paragraph 1; Article 18, Paragraph 1; and Article 19, Paragraph 1; however, any such action taken against Protected Wildlife shall be first reported to the Authorities for handling, except in the case of emergency:

2.Damage to crops, poultry, livestock or aquaculture;

When Protected Wildlife causes damage to crops, poultry, livestock or aquaculture, and prior reporting to the Authorities for handling has not been made in case of emergency, Protected Wildlife may be hunted or killed using humane methods approved by the Authorities to prevent above-mentioned damage.

Ok, what exactly is an "emergency" regarding "damage to crops, poultry, livestock or aquaculture"? When I think of emergency, I imagine something like "if we don't stop those monkeys, there would be no rice for the rest of the year for the entire population". However, since whether the damage is an emergency is left to the farmers themselves to determine, I think causing them to lose a dime would be considered an emergency to individual farmers.

What then exactly is the " humane methods approved by the Authorities" to hunt and kill the Formosan macaques? Well, COA doesn't want to restrict the farmer's ingenuity, so that's also left to the farmers themselves to determine. How many can the farmers kill? COA don't care enough to set a limit.

So what if the farmer determined that the entire Formosan macaque family in his area are damaging his fruit patches and creating a personal financial emergency for him, and decides to humanely poison the entire family of macaques? He would be complying with Article 21st of the Wildlife Conservation Act. :bravo:

Just 20 years ago the Formosan macaques are listed as endangered species, with this policy, I fear this time the macaques would dying out humanely.

The farmers claim nothing can keep these monkeys out of their fields. The monkeys are now used to the fireworks, gas powered horns, knows to avoid traps, electric fence, simply dodges paint balls, and taunts guard dogs. They are also getting more adventurous and farmers have to install metal bars on their windows to keep them out.

Kaohsiung city government came up with a new idea by hiring a movie special effect expert who worked on The Life of Pi and Seediq Bale to make fake dead macaques, and put it up on a pole Seediq Bale style.

http://news.ltn.com.tw/news/local/paper/845758

The special effect expert even left an opening for the farmers to stuff chicken intestines in order to create a 4D experience for the macaques. Apparently that works. However, one fake dead macaques would cost 20,000 NTD. I wonder if the farmers would find it cheaper to simply make actual dead macaques.

Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Re: COA allows farmers to use their own judgements to humanely kill Formosan macaques

Postby hansioux » 08 Jan 2015, 17:29

Another article said one fruit farmer talks to the macaques like people.
https://tw.news.yahoo.com/%E8%88%87%E7% ... 51944.html

She asks them to only eat the fruits towards the top of the hill. She would also talk to them, tell them they look very pretty. The macaques in her area would smile at her, and let her know they are coming. Before this, her mother used to scream and chase the macaques, and they in terms would go berzerk in front of her mom and deliberately damage even more trees. Since she started treating them nicely, the macaques leave her enough fruit to sell and since all her produce are organic, she makes a decent living.
hansioux

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: COA allows farmers to use their own judgements to humanely kill Formosan macaques

Postby Dr Jellyfish » 08 Jan 2015, 17:33

I was speaking to a farmer just outside of Taipei a few weeks ago. He said macaques would sometimes take the fruit from his trees. When they did, he just needed to report how much and the lost fruit would be paid for - to protect the macaques. I guess the Council of Agriculture has had a change of tune. It's sad.

When I came to Taiwan the first time it made me happy that this was a place where monkeys lived in the wild. It didn't matter that I wouldn't see them, or that I lived in the middle of Taipei.
Dr Jellyfish
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

Postby hansioux » 08 Jan 2015, 17:36

Dr Jellyfish wrote:I was speaking to a farmer just outside of Taipei a few weeks ago. He said macaques would sometimes take the fruit from his trees. When they did, he just needed to report how much and the lost fruit would be paid for - to protect the macaques. I guess the Council of Agriculture has had a change of tune. It's sad.

When I came to Taiwan the first time it made me happy that this was a place where monkeys lived in the wild. It didn't matter that I wouldn't see them, or that I lived in the middle of Taipei.

you could see them in Taipei city, on trails around Wenhua University. Once had them walk by my in single file. One mom had a baby clinging to her belly as she passed me.
hansioux

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby tommy525 » 09 Jan 2015, 00:43

They must remain protected. Taiwanese must not be allowed to hunt anything. Except cockroaches and rats.
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Re: COA allows farmers to use their own judgements to humane

Postby hansioux » 03 Jun 2015, 18:17

Somewhat unrelated, but still about Macaques.

Some of the Macaques in Shou-shan Kaohsiung were unable to have children of their own, so they adopted (or stole) baby kittens from stray cats around the area. The problem besides the fact that one is a monkey and the other a cat is that these monkeys desperate for motherhood have no milk of their own, so they can't even feed the kittens.

Some care takers of these macaques, who have formed a unique relationship with them, to the point they could carefully touch them, were able to rescue these kittens one at a time. The wanna-be mothers really want to take good care of their adopted babies. They would meticulously clean the baby kittens, to the point the vet can't find any parasite on these kittens.

http://www.ettoday.net/news/20150510/504693.htm
hansioux

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: COA allows farmers to use their own judgements to humane

Postby Tempo Gain » 04 Jun 2015, 00:58

Nice story!

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Pets & Other Animals