Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Huskies discussion

Huskies discussion

Postby riggers » 03 Mar 2015, 10:45

Mod's note: the following 6 posts were split from https://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop ... 9&t=143776

If you have had this dog for two months surely you must have known you didn't have time for him ?
Could you have got a less suitable breed for the climate too ?
If you care about the dog contact all the charities like animals Taiwan, they may be able to find him a home in a better climate.
riggers
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Share my Husky

Postby Mucha Man » 03 Mar 2015, 11:41

Riggers we have no idea why the OP has this husky so let's not rush to judgment. Perhaps she took him off someone who had dumped him, or rescued him from the street.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

https://www.facebook.com/taiwantemples
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby riggers » 04 Mar 2015, 08:35

Forgive me if I doubt that.

A husky is entirely unsuitable for life in Taiwan. That's not in doubt. It would be far better off being sent abroad for a home
riggers

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby hansioux » 04 Mar 2015, 11:22

riggers wrote:Forgive me if I doubt that.

A husky is entirely unsuitable for life in Taiwan. That's not in doubt. It would be far better off being sent abroad for a home

if it's the climate you are worried about, shouldn't the same concern go for golden retrievers, labradors, Akidas, Shibas, Great Pyrenees and other dog breeds originated from colder places as well?

Wouldn't having a husky be equally unsuitable in places like Southern California, southeast Texas all the way to Florida?

From what I've read, huskies' fur actually helps to adjust to different climates, and as long as they are not in an air-conditioned environment and then suddenly taken out into hot humid outdoors, the dog should adjust ok.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Icon » 04 Mar 2015, 11:33

Aside from skin issues, the biggest concern with huskies and other work breeds is that people simply do not have the time to exercise them. Well, there is no place either, not enough space. These are dogs that need to keep busy or else. Huskies in particular suffer a lot in this wretched climate -humidity issues, fungus more than temperature- but also have bigger problems with lack of exercise./training.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Belgian Pie » 04 Mar 2015, 11:57

Icon wrote:Aside from skin issues, the biggest concern with huskies and other work breeds is that people simply do not have the time to exercise them. Well, there is no place either, not enough space. These are dogs that need to keep busy or else. Huskies in particular suffer a lot in this wretched climate -humidity issues, fungus more than temperature- but also have bigger problems with lack of exercise./training.

Same goes for the human breed here on this island ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby NonTocareLeTete » 04 Mar 2015, 12:41

Belgian Pie wrote:
Icon wrote:Aside from skin issues, the biggest concern with huskies and other work breeds is that people simply do not have the time to exercise them. Well, there is no place either, not enough space. These are dogs that need to keep busy or else. Huskies in particular suffer a lot in this wretched climate -humidity issues, fungus more than temperature- but also have bigger problems with lack of exercise./training.

Same goes for the human breed here on this island ...

Agreed, I often think that if my lifestyle would not be healthy for my dog (exercise and time to be outside) it also wouldn't be healthy for me.

Good luck OP, and to anyone else reading (this is not a jab at the OP, as Mucha Man said, we don't know the circumstances) before you take in a new pet, do some research and some serious thinking:

1. Read about the breed and how much exercise they need. If you think you can provide that amount of exercise, try it (sans dog) for a week on your own. Go walk in the park or on the beach as if you were walking your dog. Think about how many times the dog will have to go to the bathroom every day, and make sure you go out that many times, rain or shine, no matter how well or ill you are. Are you annoyed? Does it feel like too much? Is it messing up your schedule? Then perhaps a different breed (that doesn't need as much exercise) or an older street/abandoned dog is for you. Older dogs make wonderful pets. I hate "babies," myself, because cute as they are, they're f'ing obnoxious :raspberry:

2. Read up on house training and KNOW that there will be mistakes. Train YOURSELF not to get angry about urine or feces on your floor or your furniture. Read a lot and be aware that you are teaching a new and unnatural skill to a being who doesn't understand your language or your ideas of cleanliness. CONSISTENCY is key.

3. Have a plan for what would happen if you broke your ankle or fell ill or needed to leave town. Is there someone who would be willing to care for your pet for a time?

4. If your primary attraction to having a pet is how "cute" it looks, please imagine how you'll feel when it makes noise at night, makes a mess, or destroys something you love. If cute is the most important thing, get a toy that you can ignore/turn off. If looks are what you're after, and not a bond with another living thing, be aware that there will be a rough adjustment period.

And thank you OP for posting here and looking for a workable solution. Many would (and have) simply abandoned their pets. I despise those people.
NonTocareLeTete
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Re: Huskies discussion

Postby Icon » 04 Mar 2015, 13:09

To be honest, several neighbors have huskies and they do walk them every night. Problem is that at that time when the big doggies come out -after 9- most dogs they meet are not friendly. They are calm but see to pull a lot. We also one of those huge furry creatures whose hair cover their eyes -the one that is often in ads here- and he spends most of his time in doggie day care/doggie beauty parlor. Once he got away and "attacked" -in a friendly manner- Toto and me but he's such a huge thing he had ME in panic.

BTW, there is a husky association where people can get together and mutually pet sit and help each other with training and arrange outings together and such. I read about it because someone started making "land sled races" as part of the activities to get the pets to exercise/have fun outdoors. Honestly, it sounds weird but at least they are trying.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Re: Huskies discussion

Postby hansioux » 04 Mar 2015, 13:41

Icon wrote:To be honest, several neighbors have huskies and they do walk them every night. Problem is that at that time when the big doggies come out -after 9- most dogs they meet are not friendly. They are calm but see to pull a lot. We also one of those huge furry creatures whose hair cover their eyes -the one that is often in ads here- and he spends most of his time in doggie day care/doggie beauty parlor. Once he got away and "attacked" -in a friendly manner- Toto and me but he's such a huge thing he had ME in panic.

BTW, there is a husky association where people can get together and mutually pet sit and help each other with training and arrange outings together and such. I read about it because someone started making "land sled races" as part of the activities to get the pets to exercise/have fun outdoors. Honestly, it sounds weird but at least they are trying.

I had the pleasure of helping to take care of 2 huskies when their owners were taking vacations back in the US. Huskies pull a lot no matter where they are. It's in their nature.

I used to have their harnesses tied to my waist when I walk them. They will pull the moment they are out of the gate. They would go into sprint mode if they see a squirrel, bird, or other dogs. I have to lean back and use all my strength to keep them in place while trying to get them to calm down. If they sprinted and I wasn't ready, there would be a good chance I'll fall on my ass.

However, after 1 hour of walking/jogging them, they'd get tired, and it would be me dragging them. They wouldn't even bother with dogs nearby. It's all about letting them have the exercise they needed.

I wouldn't personally consider owning a husky in my present living condition, but I have friends who own huskies here in Taiwan and they seem to be doing alright. At least one husky is over 10 years old and is still very healthy (living in a townhouse). That husky's only problem is he refuses to go out for a walk when cold wave hits and it's 15 degrees Celsius outside.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Pets & Other Animals