Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Cat anemia

Cat anemia

Postby Icon » 19 May 2015, 14:14

hello fellow animal lovers. My poor pets missed me so much when I was on vacation that they did not eat. One of them, the oldest cat, developed anemia as a result. I have been feeding him baby food plus his usual chicken mix, and a few drops of some over the counter veterinary nutritious paste. Any other ideas as to what may help him have a speedy recovery?
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Cat anemia

Postby hansioux » 19 May 2015, 14:56

Icon wrote:hello fellow animal lovers. My poor pets missed me so much when I was on vacation that they did not eat. One of them, the oldest cat, developed anemia as a result. I have been feeding him baby food plus his usual chicken mix, and a few drops of some over the counter veterinary nutritious paste. Any other ideas as to what may help him have a speedy recovery?

aww, hope he recovers soon.

I've read that the lack of Vitamin B12, Vitamin K, iron, Folic acid and kidneys unable to produce certain enzymes are the common causes of anemia.

I'd say get your vet to check her kidneys first. If the numbers look good, then feed her enzyme and vitamin supplements. In your case, since you already know he has anemia, it probably means that your vet already ran that Hematocrit (Hct) test on him, so maybe you already know how his kidneys are.

For Vitamins, there's EVSCO Hi-Vite drops which also comes with liver and iron. It seems to be the one people bring up when discussing cat anemia.

For my cat, I've been feeding her Gimpet Multi-Vitamin paste one a week. I used to have her take some everyday when I thought she was in serious trouble. However, I thnik for emergencies such as this it might not be sufficient. In any case, ask your vet to see if these things are ok.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Icon » 19 May 2015, 15:25

Yep, all numbers are OK regarding organ functions, except his red blood cell count. Starvation is dangerous in cats, especially at his age -pushing 15.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby hansioux » 19 May 2015, 15:32

Icon wrote:Yep, all numbers are OK regarding organ functions, except his red blood cell count. Starvation is dangerous in cats, especially his age -pushing 15.

my Milktea has been suffering from a loss of appetite as well... Starting last week, she would sometimes eat half of her portion, and sometimes only took a few nibbles. Once in a while she'd finish her usual portion. Maybe I should get her checked out as well.
hansioux

Postby Icon » 19 May 2015, 15:50

Could be many things, parasites are usual culprit. But this friggin heat is also to blame. Not suitable for man or beast!

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby lostinasia » 19 May 2015, 21:11

hansioux wrote:my Milktea has been suffering from a loss of appetite as well... Starting last week, she would sometimes eat half of her portion, and sometimes only took a few nibbles. Once in a while she'd finish her usual portion. Maybe I should get her checked out as well.

Both my cats have been doing that for the past few days. For the moment I'm assuming it's just the change in temperature.
lostinasia
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Postby Icon » 20 May 2015, 15:15

It is always recommended to have blood work on the cats done regularly, and as soon as you perceive any abnormal changes. Moreover, observation of their litter box habits is necessary to monitor their health - a sample was taken to the vet in order to rule out parasites. One very important aspect is how much and how often and in what way they are peeing. Especially in summer, cats may not be hydrated enough, and renal failure can be fatal. Cats need several litter boxes and several water sources.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby hansioux » 20 May 2015, 15:50

around the same time of my cat's decreased appetite, there also seems to be an increase of water intake.
hansioux

Postby Icon » 21 May 2015, 15:41

Sick cat is barely eating, and is skin and bones. Still jumps around, still purrs, sleeps with me, but does not seem very comfortable. Not a happy camper, and the dogs are back.

I shouldn't force feed as he is eating but it worries me to see him so skinny.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby johnlockian » 21 May 2015, 15:59

I'm not trying to upset you, but my biology teacher's cat which recently passed away displayed the exact same symptoms. Same with one of my school's cats (fortunately she's still prancing around despite being very skinny)
I would recommend seeing the vet again?
The name is Jamie, not John.
I have literally been in Taiwan since 1996: I was born and raised here.
johnlockian
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

In Taiwan since: 10 Dec 1996

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals