Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Cat anemia

Re: Cat anemia

Postby hansioux » 21 May 2015, 16:01

Icon wrote:Sick cat is barely eating, and is skin and bones. Still jumps around, still purrs, sleeps with me, but does not seem very comfortable. Not a happy camper, and the dogs are back.

I shouldn't force feed as he is eating but it worries me to see him so skinny.

Is he dehydrated? If so, force feed him food in liquid forms is necessary. It's probably going to take him sometime to gain back his weight.

Since yesterday my cat had been eating her full portion again, even tries to steal some human food. Guess she's feeling better?
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Icon » 21 May 2015, 16:05

Yep, I am already thinking about that and/or talking him to a bigger hospital. Cats can get from bad to worse to kaput too quickly, not like dogs that linger and linger. Maybe they'll hook him up again to the line, intravenous I mean.

Not dehydrated, drinks his fill as far as I can tell. Poop is fine, do not know about pee though. But I saw his hips and that has not happened in a long time. They used to be pretty round, my kitties.

And Didi is a he -in spite of having his jewels removed over a decade ago. Used to have a Meimei, but we lost her a long time ago.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Petrichor » 23 May 2015, 08:04

One of my cats has exactly the same problem. Skinny though she is eating loads. Also drinking a lot and being incontinent when deeply asleep. The vet has taken blood and says her kidneys are fine. He thinks it's just a manifestation of her autoimmune disease, but I'm wondering if there's something else happening here.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
http://jjgreenauthor.com/
Petrichor
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

Postby Icon » 25 May 2015, 14:40

My kitty is doing a bit better, eating enthusiastically on his own, and as you can see here, as active as before doing his curled ball impersonation:

The other cat is sick, too, really. Or was, he was sneezing a bit. So they are all sleeping with me. There is the bedtime truce in place, with the doggies at the foot of the bed and kitties guarding the head.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby hansioux » 25 May 2015, 14:44

Glad to see him bounce back. Looks pretty energetic. Actually, that's the expression of my dad being mad at me :P

My cat sneezed a couple times yesterday. She's eating well and playing again though.
hansioux

Postby Icon » 25 May 2015, 14:55

The camera click woke him up. So much for pets being "noisy"!

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby johnlockian » 26 May 2015, 11:26

Icon wrote:My kitty is doing a bit better, eating enthusiastically on his own, and as you can see here, as active as before doing his curled ball impersonation:

The other cat is sick, too, really. Or was, he was sneezing a bit. So they are all sleeping with me. There is the bedtime truce in place, with the doggies at the foot of the bed and kitties guarding the head.

Good to hear :thumbsup:
The name is Jamie, not John.
I have literally been in Taiwan since 1996: I was born and raised here.
johnlockian
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

In Taiwan since: 10 Dec 1996

Postby Icon » 27 May 2015, 16:45

A dear friend's kitty just left this world after 19 years. He was OK until a couple of weeks ago when he started having kidney problems.

That prompted me to call the vet, as my kitty seems OK, eats by himself, drinks water, goes to the bathroom... but he is still very thin. Not a big improvement even though he is getting double ration. Vet has prescribed an X ray to see if there is anything stuck somewhere -kitty likes to bite stuff he shouldn't- or any other problem that may upset his digestion and hence has caused the dramatic loss of weight. Taking X rays from a cat is a hoot, I am telling ya...

Oh, and we will do another blood test, to see if there has been any improvement/difference from the one two weeks ago.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby hansioux » 27 May 2015, 17:27

Icon wrote:Taking X rays from a cat is a hoot, I am telling ya...

Did that as well, it was the first time I heard my cat hiss at me. It's like playing street fighter, it's all about timing. Let her relax until the beep is about to go and hold her just long enough before she starts struggling to fight it off.
hansioux

Postby Icon » 29 May 2015, 09:45

Well, no masses, no obstructions, which is good. Reasonable improvement on his white and red blood cells ratio, organ function OK. So basically just keep on feeding nutritious meals, observe and take care.

Problem is now he's upset with me -after yesterday's odyssey of shots, blood tests, and being unceremoniously pressed against a cold table for his exams- that he does not want me nearby and refused to sleep with me.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Pets & Other Animals