Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

"No to dog meat"

"No to dog meat"

Postby cake » 14 Jun 2015, 21:14

Stumbled upon this. Have there been instances of Vietnamese killing and eating dogs?

facebook link
cake
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Location: Dubya - who has borrowed more $$$ than the previous 42 presidents combined

Re: "No to dog meat"

Postby finley » 14 Jun 2015, 21:27

No idea, but Vietnam isn't renowned for it's enlightened attitude to animals, and apparently their dog-meat industry is pretty, um, lively. I'm sure it happens occasionally.

It's nice to see Taiwanese people taking an interest in animal rights (15 years ago they wouldn't have been that fussed), but the 'charge you with severe penalty' bit seems a bit of an exaggeration. Taiwanese dog-meat restaurants are alive and well out in the boonies, AFAIK.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby headhonchoII » 14 Jun 2015, 22:05

I've seen TV reports (yes TV I know) with clips showing foreign labourers dognapping a golden labrador for supper. So I believe it does happen. Does it happen more than with natives, I wouldn't bet on it. After all there have always been dog meat restaurants here.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Andrew0409 » 14 Jun 2015, 23:31

the only time I saw someone do this is in China. Eat in a restaurant and saw a cat being skinned in the kitchen on the way to the bathroom...
Andrew0409
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby dan2006 » 15 Jun 2015, 00:39

Scare tactics

The Vietnamese who chow down on a Chow will receive the same penalty as locals who drop off their dogs in rural areas and mmountains.

Oh wait..

They should put more effort in local efforts to stop dog abandonment and mistreatment than worry about what some foreigners are eating, likely prepared by a local restaurant.
dan2006
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Postby Andrew0409 » 15 Jun 2015, 02:17

dan2006 wrote:Scare tactics

The Vietnamese who chow down on a Chow will receive the same penalty as locals who drop off their dogs in rural areas and mmountains.

Oh wait..

They should put more effort in local efforts to stop dog abandonment and mistreatment than worry about what some foreigners are eating, likely prepared by a local restaurant.

You should have seen it 15 years ago. It's much better now. They actually did a lot.
Andrew0409

Postby Biota » 17 Jun 2015, 02:24

It sure has changed a lot. Fully agree. But in my humble opinion, killing a stray dog to eat is far better than caging a designer for years while it suffers in the sun an cant eat or drink right until it eventually dies of stress, disease, malnutrition, dehydration, heat stroke etc. i realize my opinion might not be popular but many animals feel the same level of discomfort and awareness as dogs (ie pigs). I personally have no problem with eating dog meat or pig meat meat, it is logically the same as far as animal rights goes. what matter is how they were treated while alive and how they were killed. Anyone who enjoys commercial pork in Taiwan, in my opinion, forfeits the right to whine about eating stray dogs.

In case anyone goes crazy on my point, I am a vegetarian for the sole reason of cruelty. If I can verify my meat is "happy meat", I will still eat it. But it seems pretty clear that in the case of dog meat, it is simply human companionship that is the real stickler on this issue, nothing to do with logic of food and cruelty. If anything a stray dog that is eventually consumed enjoys a far better quality of life than any caged commercial animal born, raised and killed in a tiny cage baking in the sun for months.

On the flip side, it is really nice that people are at least caring about at least one animal other than our own species. Maybe it's not good to be so honest about it as it may just kill some people's motivation in trying to help some animals. some > none.

But I think it was last year the mayor of Hsingchu was leaving it up to garbage men to "deal" with dogs (correct me if I'm wrong). If they are going to die, seems like an awful waste of quality protein to just throw it in a garbage truck...Psychology....
Biota
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Andrew0409 » 17 Jun 2015, 05:45

Honestly, regardless of any logical argument for being vegetarian or against eating meat, I will always eat with some very exceptions. Dogs are a exception for me. Although it's true theres not really any logical difference between a eating pork and dog, logic gets thrown out the window for me on this one as a dog owner.
Andrew0409

Postby Biota » 03 Jul 2015, 01:18

I agree 100%. I will eat meat sometimes as well...so long as I am sure it wasn't tortured to provide me a cheap moment of satisfaction. The idea of causing severe physical/psychological pain for 10 minutes of my own personal taste bud bliss is psychotic in my opinion (especially when most of our craving i sactually for the salts and spices added to the meat, which can be added to other foods just as easily). Few people care to try and connect the dots, or they're just too into themselves, but when takes a totally unbiased and self-less standpoint it becomes painfully clear. I would never eat dog meat either as i also have dogs and love them, that said I would never look down at dog meat as a food so long as they also were not raised and tortured. Though taking it a step further, raising communal animals that roam very large distances for food is not exactly ethical. Hunted dog meat i will never look down at so long as they are killed quickly. That was my only point, people are often jumping on the bandwagon of hating dog killers that eat dogs simply because they are cute. this type of logic is harmful I think, it breeds hypocrisy and justification for really retarded ideas and realities. At the very least, use the stray dogs Taiwan always kill for food....there are eager eaters out there, no sense just putting dead strays in the musical yellow trucks when they could be used as a human energy source.
Biota

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Pets & Other Animals