Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Flea season

Flea season

Postby StiffUpperLip » 16 Jun 2015, 14:53

I'm assuming this is flea season because our new dog is bringing home whole tourist-bus loads of fleas. Well...one or two anyway.

he's got a flea collar. He's had treatments rubbed into his fur on the back of his neck, all of which have improved matters...somewhat. But very often when I bring him home, my wife sits down with him and spends really quite an inordinate amount of time combing him and checking him for fleas, which she often finds. I've tried keeping him away from other dogs, and bushes and plants, when I take him for twice-daily walks, and that helps, but only some.

I did a little online research and found the various treatments don't actually repel fleas immediately: the fleas can take a while to jump ship. Meanwhile my wife is brush, brush, brushing him, checking him, and being late for work. I'm fairly new to dog ownership, so is there anything anyone knows about how best to deal with this problem, or is this just what we have to do for the little fella? Would spraying our apartment with some kind of anti-flea spray help?
StiffUpperLip
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 01 Jun 2013

Re: Flea season

Postby Icon » 16 Jun 2015, 15:32

I wouldn't use the flea collar in conjunction with other products -Advantage, Frontline-. It is one or the other. Exess can cause poisoning in dogs. Furthermore, collars can be more dangerous. One brand to be avoided is Hartz, check on the Internet.

A strong, healthy dog attracts less fleas. See if you can make changes in his diet to promote this. Apple cider vinegar in his bath also helps.

There is an organic flea spray sold in the stores, the one from Germany, that can be sprayed on furniture, especially behind sofas or under low lying tables. I cannot recommend others. Do not use bleach or any stronger poisonous agents.

However, be aware that the little buggers will hide in cracks between furniture. Dust is their habitat, so your best weapon of choice is the vacuum cleaner. Daily vacuum at home. The fleas get a free ride to your home and set camp, they ride your dog, they ride your shoes, they just jump off and hide.

To be honest, I've had an infestation that comes and goes in severity, but then I have 6 furry creatures, which are never covered by the flea medication all at the same time. I use an organic almond cleaner they insist repels all bugs, and hot steam cleaner for the furniture and hard to reach corners. Alas, the fight is tough.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Biota » 17 Jun 2015, 02:44

For what its worth, i used to feed my dogs cheap food from carrefour. I now use "better" (=more expensive -double-, I have no idea if they are truly better) from costco. Before they would always have fleas and ticks, like insane loads of them. I had to frontline bomb them every 2 months which i hated. after switching food, I have not seen ticks or fleas in 2 years. my dogs live outside on my farm, so are always in contact.

They also had way more when I had them at my farm where other stray dogs were. when they moved to another farm, where there were only a couple strays, the tick numbers went way down but were still resent until i switched food. Until i see proof otherwise, good nutrition, health, fitness and no stress is going to be the best defense against almost any ailment.
Biota
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby StiffUpperLip » 20 Jun 2015, 11:43

Biota wrote:For what its worth, i used to feed my dogs cheap food from carrefour. I now use "better" (=more expensive -double-, I have no idea if they are truly better) from costco. Before they would always have fleas and ticks, like insane loads of them. I had to frontline bomb them every 2 months which i hated. after switching food, I have not seen ticks or fleas in 2 years. my dogs live outside on my farm, so are always in contact.

They also had way more when I had them at my farm where other stray dogs were. when they moved to another farm, where there were only a couple strays, the tick numbers went way down but were still resent until i switched food. Until i see proof otherwise, good nutrition, health, fitness and no stress is going to be the best defense against almost any ailment.

We feed him some kind of brown, dry food I don't even know the name of because my wife orders it in bulk. Six months supply, basically.

Btw = I've seen mention elsewhere online of an oral anti-flea drug called Triflexis. Is this known or used in Taiwan?
StiffUpperLip
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 01 Jun 2013

Postby Icon » 20 Jun 2015, 16:47

To both your statements: NO.

First of all, in this humid hot weather, food spoils really fast. Food that lasts 6 months, dry food, means it has a lot of bad things in it, that not only shorten your furry friend's life, but also impair his metabolism, hence, attracting fleas and sickness.

Second, do not buy stuff off the Internet, especially used abroad but not here. As said, many companies have recurring problems, and without support, you could kill your friend or yourself in one shot.

Consult your vet. Hoping he us reliable.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Pets & Other Animals