Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

What triggers the "Small Black Birds from Hell" ?

What triggers the "Small Black Birds from Hell" ?

Postby Ibis2k12 » 01 Jul 2015, 10:50

I'm trying to study the behavior of my #1 Archenemy, the Black Birds (some people call them Small Black Birds). I'm talking about those flying abominations that quietly sit on a tree until someone passes by and then swoop on his head continuously. I think their common name should be Black Drongo.

Results of my study:

#1: They should already be extinct.
Let's analyze their defensive pattern. They create their nest somewhere, and then in order to drive away possible predators they swoop on people, dogs, cats and so on. But if they didn't swoop, no one would know they have a nest there in the first place. Their behavior is borderline retarded, because any predator would suddenly realize:"HA! They're attacking me! Their nest must be close by, let's have a snack!".

#2: They don't follow the:"If you can't take it, don't dish it out" rule
They enjoy swooping on people and other animals, but they easily get scared. When I hear them coming (more about this on #3) I turn my head and spit in their general direction. They usually gave up immediately. "I need TO DEFEND MY FEST, MY CHILDREN ARE....OH CRAP THEY SPIT ON ME, FUCK IT, I'm DONE, TAKE MY CHILDREN, HOPEFULLYI'LL GET LAID AGAIN NEXT YEAR". This further validates #1.

#3: Possibly the worst attack pattern in the history of life on earth.
What is the worst way to attack? I'd say that making a loud noisy RIGHT BEFORE attacking is up there. I've seen many of those birds killed by dogs and cats that simply jump back and have a free snack.

#4: They descend directly from T-Rexes
They only attack moving targets, as soon as something becomes stationary they cease all hostility. If Jurassic Park taught me something, is that they behave exactly like a T-Rex, which means they evolved directly from them. If I get attacked and I suddenly stop they fly away and check what's going on, apparently they cannot detect me while I'm not moving and I become some sort of invisible God that they fear and respect.

Now let's move to the main topic of this post, which is: how does it all start?
I've seen them attacking people on foot, bicycle and motorbike, but I've also seen them ignoring the same targets. I'd say 80% of people on bicycle are attacked unless they ride in groups, which makes the birds less likely to attack. Speed, as mentioned in #4, has some part in it. If I stop, the birds fly away. If I start riding really slow they'll often look at me to check what's going on, and if I go back to regular speed they'll start swooping again. If I accelerate over 40kms/h they give up quickly, if I ride at a comfortable 20/25kms/h they can follow me for hundreds of meters. Helmets don't seem to influence the attack pattern at all.

I CAN ALREADY HEAR THAT SOUND FROM HELL.

GODDAMMIT.

Can anyone add to my research?
My picture gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/107755637@N06/
My random blog about cycling, photography and stuff. Mostly stuff.
https://randomibis.wordpress.com/
Ibis2k12
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 14 Aug 2012

Re: What triggers the "Small Black Birds from Hell" ?

Postby antarcticbeech » 02 Jul 2015, 17:48

Humans display maladaptive behaviours to civilization too. We use our newfound superabundance of food to eat ourselves to death, for example, so it's not just the drongos bein drongos! (In Australian slang the word drongo means idiot).

I won't be holding my breath waiting for the drongos to evolve to heavily trafficked urban environments :(, assuming such a selection pressure exists in the first place. What percentage of the drongo population breeds in urban environments, anyway?

I'm more familiar with the spangled drongo in Australia. This one is spangling nicely.

Wikipedia says that the black drongo attracts other species of to nest near it, due to it's harassment of predators. So although it annoys the crap out of you it does have its supporters. :D
X
antarcticbeech
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Postby finley » 02 Jul 2015, 18:04

They should already be extinct.

Maybe their purpose in life is to be food for predators. Like rabbits. Rabbits are also thick as two short planks, but somehow manage to breed faster than they get eaten (or run over).

Wikipedia says that the black drongo attracts other species of to nest near it, due to it's harassment of predators.

Isn't that awesome? I wonder how perpetuating other species confers an evolutionary advantage? Presumably it must. Humans might want to take note.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby antarcticbeech » 02 Jul 2015, 18:58

I have seen the spangled drongos in Australia mob owls with other species, especially these little handsome devils - rufous fantails.

Sp perhaps nesting with other mobbing species confers an advantage to the drongos too. Harmless non-mobbers may well get a free ride. I read something about a drongo species in Africa mimicking the alarm calls of other species, possibly to muster them into battle, but possibly also as a competitive distraction when mutually desirable food items present themselves in heterospecific company. :eek:

Working out the energetic costs and benefits of all of would be notoriously difficult.
X
antarcticbeech

Postby urodacus » 02 Jul 2015, 20:22

Who's the drongo now,eh?

P.S.
I think summer causes the black birds from hell to attack.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Biota » 03 Jul 2015, 01:37

Interestingly, the ones on my farm stopped attacking after i cleared my farm with machines (and sadly probably killed all their babies). They sit on top high perches and talk amongst each other, or at me. When i first had my farm I left it fallow for some years and they would swoop down when i walked near certain areas. After the farm was cleared, or devastated, they just fly from perch to perch screaming but never swoop down anymore. To be clear, I have no idea if they are the same bird but look similar to teh ones pictured and have some interesting voices, I used to think they were owls when they screech at night until I saw them in the flesh.
Biota
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Ibis2k12 » 03 Jul 2015, 14:14

antarcticbeech wrote:What percentage of the drongo population breeds in urban environments, anyway?

I think very few of them do, I only met them in rural areas far from urban environments. They're usually in the farm/forest areas far from populated areas, and they wait on a tree or electricity pole all day long.

Yesterday one of them shit on my shoes while swooping at me from the front. Now it's war.
My picture gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/107755637@N06/
My random blog about cycling, photography and stuff. Mostly stuff.
https://randomibis.wordpress.com/
Ibis2k12

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 14 Aug 2012

Postby Petrichor » 12 Jul 2015, 07:46

I've seen them by the river here in Muzha. Not seen them swooping on anyone, though.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
http://jjgreenauthor.com/
Petrichor
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

Postby jesus80 » 12 Jul 2015, 21:39

this post made me laugh :)
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby TheGingerMan » 13 Jul 2015, 16:31

I love the little black bastards.
Even same for their more fearsome big bru, that of the crow.

They always leave me well alone, as I am usually reactive like an owl in the midday sun.
Quite peeved, and pining for some.....
Yeah, man.
Dig it.
They certainly do.
For it goes without saying that one does not want a cornered owl on one's hands.

So apart from the odd bombardment of shit, no real problem from those chaps.....
:note:
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"It shall rain for forty days and forty nights, until your vile odour is cleansed."
~~~jimipresley
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals