Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Drinking fountain for cats

Drinking fountain for cats

Postby Petrichor » 02 Sep 2015, 18:36

Does anyone know a good place to buy these? The only place I know is in Xinyi, so it's very pricey.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
http://jjgreenauthor.com/
Petrichor
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Drinking fountain for cats

Postby hansioux » 02 Sep 2015, 21:08

there are alot of choices out there, which kinds are you looking for?
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Icon » 02 Sep 2015, 22:25

Jingili in Gongguan. Kitty corner to the Hello Kitty store.

The issue is not whether the fountain might be expensive. It may be as low as 800 but 1000 ntd is average. Simpler the better. Problem is the filters. They must be changed every 2 to 3 months. So choose a model with readily available and not so expensive filters.

I will post pics tomorrow.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby thesublimenakedfairy » 03 Sep 2015, 08:47

I also wanted one, but was unwilling to pay a fortune. I built one using some plastic containers and an old pump from a fish tank. Works like a charm. I can add a filter if I want to, but I just use filtered water. You can google for some ideas and tips.
thesublimenakedfairy
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

In Taiwan since: 19 Aug 2004

Postby Icon » 03 Sep 2015, 09:27

The most expensive and complicated the system, the more likely the cats won't use it. Simple feline Murphy's Law.

I use this one, one for the kitties, one for the doggies, simple and easy to use. They were 800 or 900 NTD on sale, filters are a bit expensive -200 to 300 ntd for a pack of two- but if you have a friend who can bring them for Japan -they are pretty generic- then a pack of 2 is 100 ntd.

This place in Gongguan -Tinzhou road, section 3, 70 something- has an assortment of models. I have had most before -the 2 piece pool with the water dome, the cascade, etc. So far this latest one is the one they like most.

This card and number is from the store in Xindian, they have several branches.

And do remember cats will use the equipment as they please.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby hansioux » 03 Sep 2015, 09:54

Aside from the price/filter factor, you should also decide which kind to get based on how many cats you have and how long are you likely to just leave the cats. That will determine what water holding capacity your drinking fountain needs.

Also, there are two types of drinking fountains. One that looks like a fountain with water falling into a pool, and another that looks like spring, with water bubbling up from under a surface. Sometimes each cat would prefer one kind over another.

I'd like to add you should consider how easy it is to clean. Because you can't imagine the serratia marcescens growth that can accumulate in the running drinking fountain just after 1 week. If ther are too many nooks and crannies, you are going to have a tough time getting to all of them.

If you really want state of the art, there's Pura:
http://www.noacare.com/

It comes with RF ID collar tags, and will show how much each cat drank per day through a smart phone APP.

Of course, the downside is expensive.

The first one icon posted is really common here in Taiwan.

There's another brand called drinkwell, which has several models and is also a bit expensive. My cat used one, but I didn't really do that much research when I bought it. If you see a stainless steel drinkwell, it might be worth the price, because of the cleaning factor. However, most drinkwells have expensive filters, and can take a bit to clean.

That brings me to the last option:

Build your own drinking fountain with fish tank supplies.

Yeah, seriously. Most of these drinking fountains uses underwater motor, foam filter, carbon filters and all that stuff used in fish tanks. The parts are actually not all that expensive.

A quick search with 貓 飲水器 DIY would yield a lot of examples.

http://flycall.com/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=563946&page=2

http://tilttail.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-3.html

http://cid719779.pixnet.net/blog/post/4 ... 8%80%83%29

I'm tempted to build one of those myself if not for the fact that I am lazy, already bought a drinking fountain, and did I mention I am lazy?

It seems like the key components are:
1x underwater motor
1x tube that gets water away from the motor
1x tube that distributes water to a container
Nx containers of your choosing
1x foam filter
1x carbon-based filter if you want to give extra care to your cats
hansioux

Postby Icon » 03 Sep 2015, 10:21

I must add I got the fountains but also a couple of normal water bowls because Their Lordships may or may not like to drink solely from one place/one fountain. However, it is important to have a filter/clean regularly, to extend the life of above mentioned filter but also for the things that fall into the water bowls and/or fountain -roaches, geckos, assorted debris, etc.

As to the fancy models, I do like the ozone water purifier for pets.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Petrichor » 03 Sep 2015, 13:32

I never knew buying a drinking fountain for cats was so complicated! It's for two cats, and they're never alone for more than a few hours. They already have two drinking bowls, the jug for watering the plants and two toilets (kidding), but the vet found a little blood in one cat's urine yesterday so I thought a fountain might encourage her to drink more.

I know that shop in Tingzhou Road so I'll have a look there. Thanks everyone.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
http://jjgreenauthor.com/
Petrichor

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby hansioux » 03 Sep 2015, 13:35

Recently, there's also a bowl that Taiwanese pet owners nicknamed 多喝水碗 (tuo he sui wan, bowl of drinking more water). It's a Japanese import which has a glossy green coat, originally called Aukatz. It almost looks like some China pieces you'd find at the national palace museum.

It's a bit expensive for a bowl, but claims to have certain magnetic properties that makes the water more palatable to cats. Again, it all depends on your cat... some have said it works, some cats won't go near it.
hansioux

Postby Icon » 03 Sep 2015, 14:08

Their Lordships have only ceramic bowls. I did get one fancy one in Yinge for them.. ended up leaving it in a pal's backpack and hence lost it for ages until we met again. They still use it though, very fancy and all but most importantly it keeps their water cool.

As said before, cats do prefer different, eh, sources of water. And not necessarily -or better, not exclusively- near their food.

Oh, and plastic bowls give the cats feline acne so don't use them.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals