Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Everything you wanted to know about CAT LITTER but were afraid to ask.

Re: Everything you wanted to know about CAT LITTER but were afraid to ask.

Postby Icon » 04 Sep 2015, 10:24

I have four cats. I triple bag and use a 14 capacity bag in a pedal lid waste basket. Arm and Hammer multiple cat litter box, 5 litter boxes in total, all lined with a layer of Arm and Hammer litterbox deodorizer, all set in the balcony.

I so much wish the cats could also take the raw meat diet...
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby hansioux » 04 Sep 2015, 10:37

Icon wrote:
I so much wish the cats could also take the raw meat diet...

My cat has been on that for a couple of months. Although her annual checkup revealed that her kidney numbers slightly higher then normal. The vet said prescription cat food, I decided to just let her drink more water. To get her to drink the water, I give her all chicken can food that she like, save a tiny bit and mix that into her raw meet for dinner. I add water to both that adds up to about 100mg worth of additional water. Going back for a checkup this weekend. Hope her numbers return to normal.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby tommy525 » 04 Sep 2015, 13:13

If you want to flush it , you must use flushable liter. And actually best not to flush the pee balls down the toilet. Too big.

Just flush the poopoo (which is the super stinky part). The pee balls can be put out with the trash daily.

USe the clumping corn liter. That is the number one best all around. Better then anything else I have tried. And I have tried them all.
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Mucha Man » 04 Sep 2015, 14:57

Tommy, just so you know, there are a lot of reports of the corn going toxic in the presence of moisture. Which yeah, is the normal condition of a litter box.

I switched to wood after I read enough credible reports on the dangers of corn.

Astonishingly, on one cat supply blog they claim they contacted the company abotu this and the reply was that in their tests the corn did not go toxic but may "in the presence of moisture." Seriously, WTF?
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

https://www.facebook.com/taiwantemples
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby hansioux » 04 Sep 2015, 15:07

the toxicity is caused by aflatoxin, which is a type of mold. It's also common in a lot of the foods both for humans and pets. Peanuts frequently gets aflatoxin growth and can cause serious damages to the human body. Dry pet food left too long in the damp environment also can get aflatoxin growth, and damages pets' liver and kidneys.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby tommy525 » 04 Sep 2015, 23:32

Hadn't heard about the corn liter going toxic. That is new to me. I do carefully get rid of all the pee spots, even tiny ones. So the liter should be quite dry. I've been using it for years to no ill effect.

I have only one cat and even so I completely empty the tray and clean and dry and put fresh liter in, once a month. The rest of the time i refill as needed.

Was using clumping clay for years. And there is a lot of clay dust in the house, which i probably breathed as well. Used the pellets from old newspapers, used pine pellets (they don't clump as well, just reduce to fine dust). And so far, the liter from corn is the best performing all around.

As for water. Yes they say it's best to never even give dry food. Cans or the raw diet is the way.
My cat won't eat anything else PERIOD, other then dry food. And he is specific as to what brand.

But luckily I have been taking to adding a bit of water to each of his meals (he gets 3 scoops divided into something like ten mini meals). So this way he is actually drinking about a cup of water a day.

Which is good. He was drinking quite a lot from his bowl anyway. But this is one way to make sure he is drinking a lot of water.

He won't eat canned food, but adding a bit of water to his dry food at each feeding seems to work.
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Pets & Other Animals