Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Rottweiler or Weimaraner

Rottweiler or Weimaraner

Postby Alien79 » 17 Dec 2015, 11:51

Hi guys,
Next year (2016) i plan to move to a bigger house and I have always wanted one of the 2 breeds.. I have a 3 years old son that could really enjoy the company of a dog!! and i love dogs!!
I have started to look for them in Taiwan but I have not been able to locate either a reputable breeder or family that breeds from their Real pets (no puppy mill or shop for me)... any advice?
Alien79
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 07 Feb 2004

Re: Rottweiler or Weimaraner

Postby Tempo Gain » 17 Dec 2015, 12:19

There seems to be some information from an enthusiast here, but I haven't looked over it.

http://www.rottweiler.netboss.tw/zh/support/home.html

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Alien79 » 17 Dec 2015, 13:35

Tempo Gain wrote:There seems to be some information from an enthusiast here, but I haven't looked over it.

http://www.rottweiler.netboss.tw/zh/support/home.html

Thank you!!! I will look into it!
Alien79

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Icon » 17 Dec 2015, 13:40

Please also consider taking in a rescued pet. Just recently, there was a rescued female Rottweiler that was as sweet as they come. Contact The Sanctuary to see if she is available. There was a Weimaraner -also female, but already castrated- I saw some time ago in a rescue in Taichung, too, but gotta look for the contact in FB. All breeds, all ages, end up eventually in the rescues.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby antarcticbeech » 17 Dec 2015, 13:47

Some friends of mine in Australia owned Rottweilers. Hip dysplaysia seems very common. One Rotty I knew had mobility problems by the age of three - if taken for a walk she would lag behind after less than an hour with obviously awkward movement of her back legs. She was very reluctant to run. The lack of exercise also made her gain weight easily, exacerbating the problem.

I just went to Google Scholar and searched "Rottweiler" and "dysplasia". A study on the prevalence of hip dysplaysia in the United States says:

Prevalence of CHD [canine hip dysplaysia] in Golden Retrievers ranged from 53% to 73% and in Rottweilers ranged from 41% to 69%. Among dogs referred for OFA evaluation, radiographs from 49 (53%) were submitted to OFA. Of submitted radiographs, 45 (92%) were normal; of radiographs not submitted, 22 (50%) were normal. Radiographs with normal-appearing hips were 8.2 times as likely to be submitted to the OFA. Compared with Golden Retrievers, Rottweiler radiographs were significantly more likely to be submitted for OFA certification.

Conclusions and Clinical Relevance—Prevalence of CHD in these 2 breeds may be much higher than previously reported in the United States. Results suggest substantial bias in the OFA database, which causes lower estimates of prevalence of CHD.

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/javma.2005.226.387

Breed standardization is a terrible thing.

I have no personal experience with Weimaraners but they are a German gun dog, right? Hunting dogs selected for their hunting ability are typically very healthy, although hunting breeds that have become "standardized" and selected for appearance begin to lose their health. Anyway, as a hunting breed it might give the neighborhood cats something to think about. :lol:
X
antarcticbeech
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Postby Alien79 » 17 Dec 2015, 18:15

I love rescues, I had one in the past that died of Cancer, too bad anyway but then again it was a pure breed (inherent to the breed to suffer from Cancer), I do believe mixed dogs are healthier in general, but i just like pure breeds.
As for the breed itself, i just always wanted a rottweiler or a weimaraner, I have had a few dogs in my live like boxer, pitbull, Golden, Bulldog and jorkey (I know it doesnt match the size hahahah) but I have always wanted either a rottie or a waimaraner, I think they are very strong breeds and I don't mind the exercise part, i tend to be very active myself.. I would actually prefer the rottie over the weimaraner I think because it would be a bit less active than the Weimaraner.
as for age, I would gladly rescue a pup under 1 year old if i found one when i can actually get a dog, I have a 3~4 year old son and I want to teach him about dogs and training and share some of the "responsibility" of having one, with a puppy he would be able to help me walk the dog or put him to sleep and so on but with a bigger one it would be impossible and specially a rescue that I know nothing about, we all know that kids can be anoying and some dogs dont tolerate very well, besides my son is extremely annoying hahahaha.
Anyway that is what my father did with me and since then i just love dogs, I need one and I am always hoping to have one, too bad the place where I am at now wont allow me to have one so I need to move out as soon as early next year!

Again any extra help with finding more breeders or a rescue of one of those 2 breeds with adequate age will be apreciated!
Alien79

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby thesublimenakedfairy » 21 Dec 2015, 08:59

Sorry, I do know of any breeders, but I have seen a Weimeraner only once in my 12 years on this island... The owner told me it cost him 50k. So I guess they are not common and might be imported from other places.

I have had a Weimeraner before I come to Taiwan. They are great dogs and will be great with kids. The rules for owning dogs (regular exercise, good training and stimulation) seems to apply to the Weimeraner in the superlative. The really are fantastic dogs, but if the basics are not done right, you are going to have issues.

It seems Weimeraner owners like to form clubs and associations, and I would start there to see if there is a breeder in Taiwan.

Good luck !
thesublimenakedfairy
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

In Taiwan since: 19 Aug 2004

Postby Alien79 » 21 Dec 2015, 09:48

thesublimenakedfairy wrote:Sorry, I do know of any breeders, but I have seen a Weimeraner only once in my 12 years on this island... The owner told me it cost him 50k. So I guess they are not common and might be imported from other places.

I have had a Weimeraner before I come to Taiwan. They are great dogs and will be great with kids. The rules for owning dogs (regular exercise, good training and stimulation) seems to apply to the Weimeraner in the superlative. The really are fantastic dogs, but if the basics are not done right, you are going to have issues.

It seems Weimeraner owners like to form clubs and associations, and I would start there to see if there is a breeder in Taiwan.

Good luck !

Thx for your input!!!
I do think that out of the 2 options the Weimaraner is the most active one, the rottweiler is a bit more calmed but that doesn't mean no exercise ! just a bit less hahaha
Alien79

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Icon » 21 Dec 2015, 10:21

thesublimenakedfairy wrote:Sorry, I do know of any breeders, but I have seen a Weimeraner only once in my 12 years on this island... The owner told me it cost him 50k. So I guess they are not common and might be imported from other places.

Good luck !

Of all 3 I have seen, 2 have been in the pound or rescued. :(

Will keep an eye out for one. But Rotties are a bit more common.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Pets & Other Animals