Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Ridiculous!

Re: Ridiculous!

Postby hansioux » 05 Jan 2016, 13:55

tommy525 wrote:Thats cute. Especially since he was able to take out your face.

I was just standing there when he decided to climb up my back. Wasn't going to do anything to make him feel I was afraid or make him feel threatened. So no sudden motions to provoke him, unless he was going to do something to threaten me. In the end, I asked him to get off nicely, and he did just that.

Other tourists were trying to force the interaction. For example, one tourist decided it was a good idea to try to hold baby monkey's hand. In the end no adult monkey got upset over that, but I definitely wouldn't try to do that.

Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby hansioux » 05 Jan 2016, 14:49

headhonchoII wrote:Taiwan seems to have a monkey explosion at present. Heard there were monkeys in the wife's homeland in Miaoli area, there's been none there for decades. Also ran into a troop up in Yilan two weeks ago just a bit up from Jiaoxi. That troop was more standoffish , my daughter is scared off monkeys due to the bad behavior of the monkeys in Gaoxiong.

Monkey troops I've seen:
1. Chaishan, Kaohsiung - crazy monkeys high on sugar.
2. Shuiguanlu, Tianmu, Taipei - not afraid of people, but not crazy
3. Kikuru Lodge (七卡山莊), Wuling, Yilan - on the way up to Xueshan, very shy, and retreats as hikers approach
4. Tataka saddle (塔塔加鞍部), somewhere on Taiwan Highway 21 or 18, Nantou - A little bit pass Yushan hiking trail entrance. Getting crazier each day. Goes up to cars in the middle of the road and try to grab food.
5. Fushan (福山), Yilan - nice and relaxed, don't have a care about people, just mind their own businesses
6. Malango (Fuyuan 富源), Hualian - they stay high up but aren't too scared of people
7. Maravi trail (瓦拉米), Hualian - slowly retreats to higher trees as hikers approach
8. Dengxianqiao (登仙橋), Taidong - a bit crazy, and too friendly with people, but not to the of Chaishan where they just seem like little devils.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Icon » 05 Jan 2016, 15:05

Aren't the ones in Kaohsiung those who raid the university's dorms and steal the students' pao mien?
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby tommy525 » 06 Jan 2016, 01:39

hansioux wrote:
tommy525 wrote:Thats cute. Especially since he was able to take out your face.

I was just standing there when he decided to climb up my back. Wasn't going to do anything to make him feel I was afraid or make him feel threatened. So no sudden motions to provoke him, unless he was going to do something to threaten me. In the end, I asked him to get off nicely, and he did just that.

Other tourists were trying to force the interaction. For example, one tourist decided it was a good idea to try to hold baby monkey's hand. In the end no adult monkey got upset over that, but I definitely wouldn't try to do that.

That was nice of you , I am sure the monkey has fond memories as well. Let's hope the next time he does that the person will be equally chill.

Reminds me one time i stayed at the Jakarta Hilton (or was it the Bangkok Hilton, i forget). There was this giant cockatoo. Bigger then a chicken walking around near the pool. I kneeled down to say hi and the bird promptly walked up my arm and got on my shoulder. NOt what I expected. And knowing what that big beak can do. I was a little concerned. But i kept my cool and looked around for his perch.

Walked him slowly to his perch and he jumped off me and onto his perch. Whew.
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby cake » 16 Jan 2016, 19:25

wonder wrote:
wonder wrote:BTW, I followed all the instructions somebody posted in this section about reporting animal cruelty and that was two days ago and nothing has happened. I left my cell number and email and zero response.

Will this be another example of wasting time regarding the welfare of pets in this country? Let's hope not.

Still haven't heard anything from these people. It's pathetic that the animal cruelty emails don't even elicit a response of any kind. I suppose these animals in my building will just continue to be abused by their ignorant owners, and then abandoned.

Cheers all

Film them post to an animal group in Taiwan/Youtube and something may well happen.

Regarding monkeys.
A friend live in the mountains in Bitan near Xindian. He sees one every month or so. One time in his kitchen eating a banana.
cake
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Location: Dubya - who has borrowed more $$$ than the previous 42 presidents combined

Postby wonder » 17 Jan 2016, 15:58

cake wrote:
wonder wrote:
wonder wrote:BTW, I followed all the instructions somebody posted in this section about reporting animal cruelty and that was two days ago and nothing has happened. I left my cell number and email and zero response.

Will this be another example of wasting time regarding the welfare of pets in this country? Let's hope not.

Still haven't heard anything from these people. It's pathetic that the animal cruelty emails don't even elicit a response of any kind. I suppose these animals in my building will just continue to be abused by their ignorant owners, and then abandoned.

Cheers all

Film them post to an animal group in Taiwan/Youtube and something may well happen.

Regarding monkeys.
A friend live in the mountains in Bitan near Xindian. He sees one every month or so. One time in his kitchen eating a banana.

I would but the animals are in balconies somewhere in this cavernous apartment complex and it's like the Grand Canyon around here. A dog (or dogs) will be barking and it sounds close, then you realize it's coming from everywhere. Extremely frustrating.

Unless you happen to live right next door to these morons, you have no idea where the dog is located. What kills me is their next-door neighbors obviously are too cowardly to say anything to these no-minds otherwise we might save a few animals from abusive, neglectful owners.
"Close up I am big but far away I'm small and hardly here at all."
Ray Davies from The Kinks
wonder
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Pets & Other Animals