Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Ridiculous!

Ridiculous!

Postby wonder » 03 Jan 2016, 17:20

I am sure this has been mentioned before, but here is another reminder of how utterly ridiculous and time consuming it is to take care of animal neglect in Taiwan.

Perhaps there are a few responsible pet owners in Taiwan but I have yet to see one. Most of the dog owners I see have no idea how to even take their dog for a walk, let alone take care of it. I see dogs on a leash struggling to get away from their owners who can barely control them. I also see dogs in baby strollers, dogs being carried, dogs loose and menacing pedestrians, café customers and little children. And that's only half the story.

Numerous people in my building think it's a great idea to put their dogs on the balcony all day and all night while they are out working their standard 16-hour shifts, or off sleeping at their boyfriend's house for the weekend while their dogs with the devil bark yelp helplessly all day and night. The kicker is, I live in a cavern-type building where it is impossible to know where the dog is. You cannot access each floor and even if you could, that wouldn't help because you can only hear the dog from inside an apartment, not the hallway.

Besides, it would take hours to track down the source of all the barking. A big waste of time and probably useless because someone else who has two dogs will do the same thing tomorrow.

Honesetly, Taiwan really sucks for dog owners. They are the worst!
"Close up I am big but far away I'm small and hardly here at all."
Ray Davies from The Kinks
wonder
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Ridiculous!

Postby hansioux » 04 Jan 2016, 15:07

There's a general lack of respect for animal dignity. In general Taiwanese put people's convenience and acquisition of wealth above animal rights.

Take the case of the NTU student from Macau choking several stray cats to death for kicks for example. The police's reluctance to file the case stems from their lack of respect for animal rights. Aside from animal lovers who are calling NTU to expel the cat killer, most Taiwanese say stuff like "it's just a cat, why make such a big deal over it." They say that because they put a young NTU student's future over animal dignity.

They will say stuff like "if animals are such a big deal, why don't you make a law so everyone has to be a vegetarian." As if their lack of willingness to be a vegetarian justifies ignoring animal cruelty.

The same lack of respects also leads to people not giving a shit about the environment. The amount of trash people throw into rivers, the ocean, mountain slopes is atrocious. Anywhere that has a sign that says "Do not feed wild animals", you can forget about people being literate. Feed the monkeys fruits, fine, I'll turn a blind eye. Feed them Seafood flavored snacks? WTF? The amount of sodium along would have severe impact to their health, but no one would care, they just want to take cool pictures of monkeys.

Sorry, I'm ranting cause I saw a bunch of such people over new years weekend. There's a sign that says do not feed the animals right above that guy's head. When they take that photo, that sign's probably in the shot.

As if it isn't enough to just observe them...

No, we must leave trash all around them, so little monkeys play with choke hazards

Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Icon » 04 Jan 2016, 15:23

Not to mention that the cat incident is far more worrisome as a sign of someone who is practicing, working up the technique to kill people.

Meanwhile, an aboriginal is punished with several years of jail time/high fines for killing a deer to feed his sick mother...

As to care of animals and logic... try explaining the danger of cooked bones. Yet, they recoil at the thought of raw bones.

But every place has its particular problems. In the ol country they kidnap pets to be used as bait and fodder in dog fights. Here, at least, they cook them and consume them. However one expects much more from Taiwan, as a Buddhist majority place, a wealthy nation, a place that shouldn't do such base things. How a nation deal with the most feeble and all that jazz as Gandhi said.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby wonder » 04 Jan 2016, 17:32

BTW, I followed all the instructions somebody posted in this section about reporting animal cruelty and that was two days ago and nothing has happened. I left my cell number and email and zero response.

Will this be another example of wasting time regarding the welfare of pets in this country? Let's hope not.
wonder

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Nuit » 04 Jan 2016, 20:05

hansioux wrote:Sorry, I'm ranting cause I saw a bunch of such people over new years weekend. There's a sign that says do not feed the animals right above that guy's head. When they take that photo, that sign's probably in the shot.

That looks like the monkey bridge near Donghe, Taidong.
If so, those creatures are so badly behaved it's untrue (and all because of their habituation to being fed by man). Last and only time we were there, 6 years ago, a large male jumped on our car, stripped the windscreen wiper rubber and escaped with it up a pole. It didn't taste like liquorice, so he threw it back down in disgust.
It's raining again here.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
Nuit
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby hsinhai78 » 04 Jan 2016, 23:06

hansioux wrote:There's a general lack of respect for animal dignity. In general Taiwanese put their own short-term convenience and acquisition of wealth above anything else: be it the environment of their oh so beloved "Tâi-oân" when they litter or discharge industrial waste water; pedestrians who need to fear for their life when A-Huang wants to ride his scooter on the sidewalk; ... .

There, I fixed it for you.
hsinhai78
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

In Taiwan since: 01 Aug 2009

Postby hansioux » 05 Jan 2016, 09:53

Nuit wrote:That looks like the monkey bridge near Donghe, Taidong.
If so, those creatures are so badly behaved it's untrue (and all because of their habituation to being fed by man). Last and only time we were there, 6 years ago, a large male jumped on our car, stripped the windscreen wiper rubber and escaped with it up a pole. It didn't taste like liquorice, so he threw it back down in disgust.

They were pretty well behaved. There was a monkey that climbed up to my back and sat on my shoulders and just chilled for 10 minutes. He eventually left after I knelt down and asked him to leave.

That's him leaning his head against my cap. I thought he might try to steal it, but I guess he just wanted to ride a human.

At least better than the group in Kaohsiung. The best behaved group I met was on the trail to Xueshan, they slowly retreated back into the trees at the first sign of hikers.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby tommy525 » 05 Jan 2016, 12:12

Thats cute. Especially since he was able to take out your face.
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby wonder » 05 Jan 2016, 13:21

wonder wrote:BTW, I followed all the instructions somebody posted in this section about reporting animal cruelty and that was two days ago and nothing has happened. I left my cell number and email and zero response.

Will this be another example of wasting time regarding the welfare of pets in this country? Let's hope not.

Still haven't heard anything from these people. It's pathetic that the animal cruelty emails don't even elicit a response of any kind. I suppose these animals in my building will just continue to be abused by their ignorant owners, and then abandoned.

Cheers all
wonder

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby headhonchoII » 05 Jan 2016, 13:30

Taiwan seems to have a monkey explosion at present. Heard there were monkeys in the wife's homeland in Miaoli area, there's been none there for decades. Also ran into a troop up in Yilan two weeks ago just a bit up from Jiaoxi. That troop was more standoffish , my daughter is scared off monkeys due to the bad behavior of the monkeys in Gaoxiong.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals