Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Travelling with a cat

Travelling with a cat

Postby dinvenanders » 03 May 2016, 10:28

Hi all,

I will be leaving Taiwan soon and will be travelling back to Denmark. Unfortunately, I am currently struggling to find a solution to bring my cat with me! :cry:

Both my own (Hong Kong Airlines and SAS) or my gf's (Cathay and British airways) ticket does not allow me to bring my cat along as excess bagage, because we are travelling via Hong Kong. HK airport only allows cats as cargo meaning I cannot bring the cat along as bagage.
I have asked around for several airline companies for another route, and it seem that the only solution (and most expensive) is to send the cat as cargo.

Therefore, my question is: Do any of you have any experiences with international animal couriers? If so, can you recommend any? Or do you have any suggestions to what I can do?

Thanks
dinvenanders
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Travelling with a cat

Postby hansioux » 03 May 2016, 14:02

It seems like Delta is the only one that would allow you to take your cat with you as a carry on.

As for checked baggage cage (cargo), EVA provided a example photo:

You need to provide water and food, and secure them to the cage door.

It's gonna be an unpleasant experience for your cat.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Re: Travelling with a cat

Postby cindycoles260 » 23 Jun 2016, 21:24

Hi Dinvenanders,

KLM is highly regarded in the pet travel industry, and their in-cabin allowance for pets is generous:

https://www.klm.com/travel/et_en/prepar ... /index.htm

Please, do not send your cat as cargo or baggage unless you're using a pet travel agent. They are experts who know their way around the system. It takes only a few minutes for the temperature in your cat's cage to reach an unacceptable level during transport.

KLM offers flights from Taipei to many European cities via Amsterdam, KLM-operated. There's a world-class pet hotel at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport where you can take your pet for care and rest during the stopover. You would need reservations and you would also pay extra for it. The benefit is that your cat will get a chance to de-stress, drink water, and use the litter box. They have veterinarians on call if your cat needs help, and you don't need to worry about importing your pet in order to get medical attention.

I don't have experience with agents (I always keep my cat with me in the cabin), but I do know some airlines will not even allow you to transport a pet by cargo EXCEPT if you have hired an agent, and so offer approved 3rd-party agents for the job. This is a good sign, IMO. If you book with them, they should have an agent available for their routes.

Some airlines (United/Delta) offer a premium-type service for pet transport that guarantees of the level of care that will be given to your pet. This is not good enough, IMO, simply because it is a within-corporation service. It would be carried out by baggage employees who are following instructions about how to care for your pet, and though I expect most are well-intentioned and hard-working, the motivational scheme is not all comparable to the first scenario.

Good luck,

Cindy
cindycoles260

In Taiwan since: 26- 0- 0

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Pets & Other Animals