Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Pet shop selling magpies in cages.

Pet shop selling magpies in cages.

Postby cake » 20 May 2016, 22:53

I walked past a pet shop that had a magpie in a cage.
My phone had died so I couldn't get a photo. I will next time I pass there.

I dislike birds in cages as it is but found it strange seeing this. It was jumping around what was a small area for it. It looked stressed.
But, I suppose any bird is bad and what is the difference between a magpie and a budgie in the wide scheme of things?

Both jail for them.
But I did wonder if someone is breeding them or it was captured here?
I cannot get my head around anyone having a bird as a pet knowing captivity is like a human living in a bathroom all their lives.
I hope whoever buys it soon frees it after it makes that distinctive sound all night keeping them awake.
cake
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Location: Dubya - who has borrowed more $$$ than the previous 42 presidents combined

Re: Pet shop selling magpies in cages.

Postby jimipresley » 20 May 2016, 23:04

Why didn't YOU buy it and set it free? :ponder:

Or better still, go into the shop, take a video and shame them on YouTube?

Or at least report it to relevant authorities or do SOMETHING?

Are we supposed to do it for you?

If you have a good heart, then carpe diem.

Don't pass the buck, matey. :2cents:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

In Taiwan since: 07 Apr 2001

Postby Charlie Phillips » 21 May 2016, 02:45

I would gladly free it if I could get out of my own cage.
OK, it's not a magazine. It's just shit that happens: here. http://news.thewildeast.net
Charlie Phillips
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

In Taiwan since: 23 Mar 2003

Postby Matchstick_man » 21 May 2016, 08:15

Dogs in the small cages irritates me. My only bad dog bite, which required medication, in Taiwan was from a caged dog. Maybe it bit me beause I never took a photo of it.

During my first year in Taiwan, I used to go to the pet store and look at the squirrels in the cages because I'd never seen a live squirrel before.
Matchstick_man
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

Postby cake » 25 Jun 2016, 23:28

jimipresley wrote:Why didn't YOU buy it and set it free? :ponder:

Or better still, go into the shop, take a video and shame them on YouTube?

Or at least report it to relevant authorities or do SOMETHING?

Are we supposed to do it for you?

If you have a good heart, then carpe diem.

Don't pass the buck, matey. :2cents:

I would not buy it because it would only encourage him to get some more.
The same as buying puppies or kittens from pet stores.

I haven't seen it out in the front since, it is probably deeper in the shop.
I may well video it, but I would hedge a bet there are no laws on caging birds if dogs can be caged 24 hours.
And I never asked anyone to do anything. I just highlighted this strange experience wanting to know if they are bred or captured..
Maybe to a local a caged magpie as a pet is not strange.
cake
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Location: Dubya - who has borrowed more $$$ than the previous 42 presidents combined

Postby tango42 » 29 Jun 2016, 11:17

Birds kept in cages for singing is a tradition in Taiwan.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42

Postby hansioux » 29 Jun 2016, 11:24

jimipresley wrote:If you have a good heart, then carpe diem.

only know that phrase because of Community.

http://news.ltn.com.tw/news/local/paper/480210

The situation begin back in 2011. A news report at the time said "2 or 3 years ago, endemic species were rarely found in shops, but since the removal of endemic species from the conservation list, selling of endemic bird is new a wide-spread phenomenon, and there's nothing local authorities could do about it, since it technically is legal."

http://news.ltn.com.tw/news/society/paper/306371

Another related news from 2009 said "Magpies were on the conservation list, but after the removal, as long as they weren't trapped and captured, stores were allowed to sell them. The issue is it is impossible to know whether a magpie in a shop was captured or not."

It's one of those things Tsai's administration should fix, soon.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Pets & Other Animals