Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Importing Pets into Taiwan (Paperwork, Quarantine, etc.)

Re: Importing Pets into Taiwan (Paperwork, Quarantine, etc.)

Postby Confuzius » 04 Oct 2012, 15:32

ncaraway wrote:
brightful wrote:I am trying to get everything in order to bring my cat with me to Taiwan but I am having the hardest time figuring out WHO the animal authority is in the U.S. and which lab to send my cat's bloodwork to! Any help? We just got his rabies booster 2 weeks ago and can do his titer check next week.

brightful, our vet was familiar with the process and even had the necessary forms. Regardless, I believe we sent ours to Kansas:

http://www.vet.k-state.edu/depts/dmp/se ... /index.htm

Best of luck to you. The process seems daunting but we (and our cat) survived! This forum was incredibly helpful.

You also need a vet who is accredited by the USDA or something to do the initial tests. You vet (who will have an accrediation number you can check to make sure s/he is legit and update) will know where to send it...and will send it. You do not send it yourself, they take the blood at the vet then send it themselves.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Postby Confuzius » 04 Oct 2012, 15:36

riggers wrote: The vet there called my other half numerous times to check things about the dogs. She visited them by public transport from Taipei twice and he both times gave her a lift to the station afterwards.

You mean Jack? (the vet there). If so, he's super great.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius

Postby Lapin » 29 Jun 2014, 01:54

I plan on bringing a rabbit in with me. I've been reading through all the posts about cats and dogs, and the process seems intense. According to this http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/downloads/tw_ra_hc.pdf , it LOOKS like I will just have to get him microchipped and checked out by a USDA approved vet for parasites 15 days before arrival. But looks can be deceiving. Am I really exempt from all the blood tests, etc? I am also weary of them saying "The rabbit(s) shall be subjected to at least fifteen days pre-export quarantine in raising place or in quarantine premises which have been approved by USD." Does this just mean he has to have been living with me in a clean place for at least 15 days? If anyone has any advice to offer on this I'd greatly appreciate it.
Lapin
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Warren Syndicate » 16 Nov 2015, 06:18

I was afraid this was true. I was hoping to bring my pup along on my trip to Taipei. I was under the impression I was mistaken when I read it can take 3 weeks to get your pet out of quarantine? Is there any way to get around this by having your pet inspected and tested before you leave? My dog is less than 20 pounds and my trip is going to be for two weeks, I think this is unreasonable.
Warren Syndicate

In Taiwan since: 09 Oct 1988

Postby ncaraway » 16 Nov 2015, 22:14

Warren Syndicate wrote:I was afraid this was true. I was hoping to bring my pup along on my trip to Taipei. I was under the impression I was mistaken when I read it can take 3 weeks to get your pet out of quarantine? Is there any way to get around this by having your pet inspected and tested before you leave? My dog is less than 20 pounds and my trip is going to be for two weeks, I think this is unreasonable.

Unless the process has recently changed, there is no way around the quarantine. This is even with inspections and tests prior to departure. In fact, be sure you have all the necessary tests done and paperwork completed BEFORE you depart. It's quite a hassle, let alone expensive. I was concerned our cat wouldn't survive the flight but she did. If anything, I expect they will be more strict now because several cases of rabies appeared not long ago. Good luck.
ncaraway
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Pets & Other Animals