Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

BIRDS of TAIWAN

BIRDS of TAIWAN

Postby renju » 10 Nov 2004, 17:45

I am looking for the books about Birds of Taiwan in English.Any suggestion.Thanks
renju
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby sandman » 10 Nov 2004, 18:29

I've never found one, but I have a very good field guide in Chinese, which has the English names, Linnaean taxonomy and distribution maps. Not sure where you can get a copy but it's proved very useful to me over the years.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

Re: BIRDS of TAIWAN

Postby Mother Theresa » 09 Dec 2009, 13:34

So, I was sitting in a conference room at work an hour ago, way up high over the city, and I looked out the window and there was this beautiful hawk, sitting on the ledge just 15 feet away. I got out my iPhone and took a few photos. Maybe I'll post one later. But he just sat there for at least 15 minutes, stretching this wing, then that, walking a few steps this way, then craning his neck around and watching me. He watched me for a long time and didn't appear to be at all frightened (even when irishstu entered the room!). He was a beauty, maybe 18 inches tall, grey with black stripes, black wing tips, a white/gray striped breast, a light-colored chin, and big beautiful yellow feet. Any idea what bird he might be?
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby almas john » 09 Dec 2009, 13:46

Anything like this critter? Bigger I guess.
Have a look around this excellent website http://www.birdingintaiwan.org/birdsintwn.htm
almas john
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

Postby Tempo Gain » 09 Dec 2009, 13:47

I can't find my bird guide or I'd have a go. I saw a few trees full of those little yellow finches today. Cute little guys. Opposite side of the spectrum I guess

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Wookiee » 09 Dec 2009, 13:48

A Snake Eagle?
It sounds similar to the one we saw on the telephone pole while riding up the back road from Jinshan to FKK.
--
......... __ o
.........-\<,
......(O) (O)...........
Wookiee
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

Postby Mother Theresa » 09 Dec 2009, 14:03

almas john wrote:Anything like this critter? Bigger I guess.

Possibly, that is similar, but that's a lot lighter than what I saw, though I was looking from behind, not from the front. Presumably that guy would look darker from behind. Still, I suspect that may not be him.

Have a look around this excellent website http://www.birdingintaiwan.org/birdsintwn.htm

Excellent? Yes and no. It would be nice if one could browse through and they grouped similar birds (hawks, eagles, kestrels) together for comparison. Also, it would be nice if one could select properties on a photo there in order to post it on a site such as this for discussion.

The closest I saw there was a kestrel, which are apparently common here in the winter, but that definitely appeared to be too light in color also.

Wookie, yes, the one on the telephone pole may have been the same.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Icon » 09 Dec 2009, 14:40

According to my coworker the biologist and the guide book:

Common Kestrel

He says it tastes good in soup. :D
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby sandman » 09 Dec 2009, 15:24

A kestrel? Rubbish! Kestrels are basically chestnut-coloured with a pronounced black stripe over their eyes.
MT, what you saw was most probably an immature goshawk. Like this?
As opposed to a kestrel
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

Postby irishstu » 09 Dec 2009, 15:36

Crappy cellphone pic, I'm afraid. Not to mention it being in the shade and with a very bright background.

It looked very nice in real life.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals