Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

BIRDS of TAIWAN

Re: BIRDS of TAIWAN

Postby thesublimenakedfairy » 21 Dec 2015, 11:16

hansioux wrote:Maybe you can hang shiny objects inside and outside the window, just so that the birds know something's there. If CDs are too tacky, maybe crystal wind chimes? Also, is the place private or are you starting a business? If the latter, how do I get there

The Chinese wild bird federation中華鳥會 suggested raptor stickers, but I'll try a combination of things. Thanks for the suggestions.

It is private, for now... But we welcome visitors and new friends. It is just a few hundred meters from the Beipu cold spring. If you want to visit, send me a pm and I'll give the exact location.
thesublimenakedfairy
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

In Taiwan since: 19 Aug 2004

Postby hansioux » 28 Mar 2016, 14:26

http://www.newsmarket.com.tw/blog/83443/

The African sacred ibis is the new invasive species in Taiwan. It's more and more common and displacing native egrets. The sacred ibis is ranked in EU's top 100 invasive species.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby urodacus » 28 Mar 2016, 16:08

Should start a rumour that they taste excellent, better then goose meat. They'd be gone overnight.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Icon » 28 Mar 2016, 16:19

Weren't they like brought to Taiwan by a zoo and ran away during a typhoon? Or so was the yarn I was told...
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Nuit » 28 Mar 2016, 20:10

never seen one. Where are they spreading from?
It's raining again here.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
Nuit
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby lostinasia » 28 Mar 2016, 20:34

hansioux wrote:The African sacred ibis is the new invasive species in Taiwan. It's more and more common and displacing native egrets. The sacred ibis is ranked in EU's top 100 invasive species.

Are these the ones that are all over the place in the Guandu area and mangrove area? It looks that way to me, but I'm appalling at identifying birds. If it's them, I see them all the time on the Danshui River. Until reading this, they were my second favorite bird to see (after the eagles that sometimes hang around over the river).

I had no idea they were invasive.
lostinasia
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Postby hansioux » 29 Mar 2016, 14:12

Icon wrote:Weren't they like brought to Taiwan by a zoo and ran away during a typhoon? Or so was the yarn I was told...

Yeah, something about a typhoon damaged the cage and allowed them to escape. You would think that information is plenty to go on for the government to fine the careless zoo, but no, they say they can't identify who let the birds out, and the deed goes unpunished.
hansioux

Postby Icon » 29 Mar 2016, 14:41

hansioux wrote:
Icon wrote:Weren't they like brought to Taiwan by a zoo and ran away during a typhoon? Or so was the yarn I was told...

Yeah, something about a typhoon damaged the cage and allowed them to escape. You would think that information is plenty to go on for the government to fine the careless zoo, but no, they say they can't identify who let the birds out, and the deed goes unpunished.

Aren't imported birds supposed to have some kind of tag for ID? Our neighbor lost his parrot and put a lot of ads around the hood, along with the birdie's ID number. Unfortunately, I do believe the tag must now be in the belly of one of the market cats...

Honestly, I dunno what is the matter with the law enforcement here. I mean, we already had a hippo dropped like dead meat in the middle of the road. Now, the ones repsonsible for letting the birds escape by not ensuring a proper shelter during a typhoon, me thinks, should also be responsible for bringing them in and fining for ecological damage. Logic dictates so. But with Taiwan's dinosaur judges, that is difficult, read impossible.

What if next time the animal that escapes is a tiger, a bear, an elephant? The ones affected will need protection from reasonable legislation.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby shastriarvind88 » 26 Apr 2016, 14:09

I like this bird of Taiwan
shastriarvind88
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

In Taiwan since: 13 Nov 1987

Postby hansioux » 26 Apr 2016, 14:11

shastriarvind88 wrote:I like this bird of Taiwan

I love the country with that bird on its coins.
hansioux

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Pets & Other Animals