Exporting Pets out of Taiwan

Postby panda » 10 Apr 2002, 08:22

In returning to the USA, if health papers are all in order then there is no quarantine time and you take your pets right from the aiport same day.

Panda
Forumosan avatar
panda
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

cats and rabies shots for import to US

Postby ikissedthebottle » 12 May 2003, 01:54

i got mao her rabies shot 2 weeks ago because I read somewhere that cats and dogs both need to have a shot a month before they enter the us. but now im reading that only dogs do, and cats dont need anything. has anyone taken cats into the us? what do i actually need? im ready to leave NOW with all this sars nonsense.
ikissedthebottle

Postby Flicka » 12 May 2003, 07:55

I think you are covered. From what I understand the most important thing is that your animals are vaccinated against any diseases that the animal can bring to humans, in the case of dogs and cats, it is rabies. When I brought my dog in, customs didn't even bother checking my paperwork or anything (San Francisco). Just make sure your vet gives you the right paperwork just in case--my dog also had to have some test and get some tag at a government agency behind the Sheraton. Can't remember the name now (I know, big help I'm being.)
Forumosan avatar
Flicka
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 12 May 2003, 07:57

My cat emigrated in 2000, so things may have changed a bit, but he needed to have a documented rabies shot (not necessarily within 1 month, as I recall, but fairly recently -- I'm sure yours will be fine -- I think it had to be *more than* 2 weeks prior, or something like that) and then a formal physical examination by a vet. We also had to take him to NTU, one of the smaller buildings along the side there -- some government installation -- for a formal exam to get a piece of paper. (I only remember this because we happened to have a cab driver on the trip back who was imitating the cat so accurately that the cat was answering thinking there really was another cat in the front seat of the cab.)

Sorry for the not very exact information. Maybe someone more recent can help out.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
335 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Flying with Felines

Postby goinabroad » 12 May 2003, 22:58

Cats need to have a health certificate from a veteranarian no more than 10 days prior to the flight, and a documented rabies shot within the last one (or maybe it's two) years. This is actually for the airline. The US government doesn't really care.

You also need to make a reservation with the airline for your cat, as most airlines only allow a few cats to ride in the cabin per flight. And expect to pay about US$90-150 for the cat's "ticket", depending on the airline. They count as excess baggage, and are your carry-on, so don't plan on bringing another backpack on with you.

Also, be prepared to take the cat out of the bag (hehe) for security checks, which is a royal pain (literally) if your cat is like mine, and claws when scared.

I would also recommend bringing a change of clothes for yourself. My cat pissed in her bag in Japan, and I had to take her out and clean the bag and cat, which left me a little pissed on. But I was prepared, so the people sitting near me on the plane didn't notice.

Good luck!

Karen
goinabroad

Postby housecat » 25 Nov 2003, 13:47

What about the other way? How long is quarenteen for my Taiwanese doggy in the States?
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby Donalda » 12 Dec 2003, 13:09

[Moderator's Note: This thread is a merge of about 4 other threads. The moderators of this forum strongly encourage you to take your pets with you when you leave Taiwan. To help others do this, please share any information you have about regulations and quarantine procedures for bringing animals into your home country.]

Hi

Does anyone have any information about how you go about getting your pet home when you leave Taiwan?

Thanks
Donalda

American bound kitties

Postby monkbucket » 12 Dec 2003, 17:52

You might want to say where home is and what kind of pet it is.

I know that all you need to bring cats into the USA is get a health check from your vet and a certificate from some govt. office (which your vet will help you get) and then take them on the plane with you. I believe NW and EVA will actually let your cat sit with you. Other airlines are not so considerate. Be sure to tell the airline when booking that you are traveling with a pet.
Justice is rather the activity of truth, than a virtue in itself. Truth tells us what is due to others, and justice renders that due. Injustice is acting a lie.
-- Horace Walpole
Forumosan avatar
monkbucket
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Flicka » 12 Dec 2003, 18:04

I brought a dog back once. What do you need to know?
Forumosan avatar
Flicka

1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby Donalda » 12 Dec 2003, 21:30

hi

The country is South Africa. The pet is a cat. I have never done anything like this so any info from A to Z is great. Health checks, quarenteen, medication for kitty, how and where does she travel...etc. I have been to a vet when I first found her and she had her shots but by the time I leave that will have a year before so does she need all new shots or the same ones again?
Thanks for the responses
Donalda

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Pets & Other Animals