Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Cat problem - need some help here

Cat problem - need some help here

Postby Tally » 17 Oct 2005, 11:26

We love our cat... we really really do. But he's driving us nuts and I need some advice on how to handle this. Our cat is about 1 year old and we've had him since he was 3 months (found him on the street). This is the problem - he spends the day sleeping, then we play with him in the evening when he starts to wake up, and at night all hell breaks loose. He feels the need to annouce that he is bored and wantes to play, and he does this by meowing loudly. We live in a small apartment, so there is no place to put him for the night in which we won't hear him. He wakes us up time and again, and I haven't had a full night's sleep in weeks. I went online to research this and the only method that has worked a bit is spraying him with some water. He hates that and will stop meowing for a few hours, but then it's back to normal.

This is really a case of him just being bored. He has been fixed, so he's not looking for females. He eats well and is generally a very happy cat.
I really love my cat (did I mention that already), but I need to find a way to shut him up.

Any ideas please??
Tally
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby llama_lout » 17 Oct 2005, 11:32

We have two, found like yours, and they play really well together. They do yowl at night but once they realise we have gone to bed they shut up and sleep on the balcony. Maybe a companion will help? Sadly this means twice the poo and wee and food bills etc, and possibly twice the noise :(
llama_lout
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

Postby Stray Dog » 17 Oct 2005, 13:14

We can lend you a cat to see if it helps having a companion, then, if it works out, you can adopt! :) All our cats are vaccinated, dewormed, deflead, desexed, healthy and lovable, and they all get on with other cats.

Otherwise, go to our Web site and click on the 'cat behaviour' link.

Let me know if we can help. :wink:

Sean
I'm NOT SO ACTIVE HERE ANY MORE. IF YOU NEED HELP WITH AN ANIMAL RESCUE OR DOG-BEHAVIOUR ISSUE, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT s e a n @thesanctuarytaiwan.org OR CALL 0920 620 109. THANKS!
Stray Dog
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

Postby Tally » 17 Oct 2005, 18:44

Stray Dog wrote:We can lend you a cat to see if it helps having a companion, then, if it works out, you can adopt! :) All our cats are vaccinated, dewormed, deflead, desexed, healthy and lovable, and they all get on with other cats.

Otherwise, go to our Web site and click on the 'cat behaviour' link.

Let me know if we can help. :wink:

Sean

I would love to have another cat (I have thought of this possibility), but we are leaving Taiwan in 2 months and have already found a new home for our cat. It would be too difficult to find another home for the second cat. I tried to get on the cat behaviour link in your website, but it doesn't seem to be working right now. I loved your website by the way and you are doing a great job.

Thanks anyway (-:
Tally
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby havilina » 17 Oct 2005, 21:13

You do know that cats are nocturnal, right?
havilina
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Tally » 17 Oct 2005, 22:34

havilina wrote:You do know that cats are nocturnal, right?

Yes of course, and if he kept himself busy by playing all night then that would be fine (I make sure all his toys are out). It's the meowing until he makes sure that we are both awake so we can play with him. Then we fall back asleep and he meows until he's blue in the face.

Maybe it's a kitten thing... he's only a year old after all. I hope this is something he will grow out of.
Tally
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby yangdemei » 17 Oct 2005, 23:03

Also, if you get up and play with him, feed him, or give him any kind of response, you are reinforcing the behavior. All he wants is some attention of any kind, negative or positive.

Do you keep your bedroom door open so he can come in if he wants to visit? Some cats don't like to feel alone or not be able to see their owners.

Since you are leaving Taiwan and a second cat is not an option, you might just have to live with it. :idunno: sorry!
yangdemei
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby twonavels » 17 Oct 2005, 23:26

I have two cats and they also kept me awake all night. Now they sleep when I do, however. Sometimes when I came home I just wanted to get on the net or read, and felt too lazy to play with them, figuring that they could just play with each other and I could do the cuddling part.
That didn't work though. They still wanted me.
Now I make an effort to play them into a frenzy as soon as I get home (my cats get tired after about half an hour). Then they snooze and I get my own time. Then I play with them a lot again for about half an hour before bed, until they actually start panting they're so excited and tired. Then they crash. However, they would wake me at about 6 again, so now I have set up a birdfeeding thing outside a window in the other room. They spent the entire early morning glued to the window watching the birds cavorting and leave me alone.
Took me about 6 months of 3 hours a night until the point of hallucination and near-madness to figure all of this out though. The hamster also keeps them busy.
twonavels
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

Postby Dragonbones » 18 Oct 2005, 00:15

We have two strays, Maya and Ginger. Maya is a fully grown black female, who, having been spayed, is no longer quite so rambunctious. Ginger is the 3/4-grown ginger kitty who's still very playful, and overly active at night. I have to toss her out of my bedroom and close the door or she'll knead and nip me all night long, depriving me of sleep. She used to mew and miaow and scratch outside the door, but because I intentionally ignore it 100% of the time, she does that much less now. Yangdemei is absolutely right; if you EVER open that door and acknowledge the behavior, it's reinforced. In fact, doing so occasionally results in behavior that's more difficult to extinguish than if you were to do so all the time (and then stop). Basic operant conditioning, of course (Psych 101). Twonavels' approach is also a good one; when we spend more time in the evening letting her run and leap after a sock on a wire, until she's exhausted (and our stomachs are sore from laughing at her antics), she sleeps like a log. She gets neutered next month, and that should help a lot too.
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Stray Dog » 18 Oct 2005, 00:18

Dragonbones wrote:Twonavels' approach is also a good one; when we spend more time in the evening letting her run and leap after a sock on a wire, until she's exhausted (and our stomachs are sore from laughing at her antics), she sleeps like a log. She gets neutered next month, and that should help a lot too.

Poor Twonavels! :eek: :(
I'm NOT SO ACTIVE HERE ANY MORE. IF YOU NEED HELP WITH AN ANIMAL RESCUE OR DOG-BEHAVIOUR ISSUE, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT s e a n @thesanctuarytaiwan.org OR CALL 0920 620 109. THANKS!
Stray Dog

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals