What to do if you see animal abuse (new contact details)

What to do if you see animal abuse (new contact details)

Postby Stray Dog » 13 Nov 2006, 02:49

Please, if you see anything that contravenes the Animal Protection Law, contact the Taipei Municipal Institute for Animal Health and report it. Get evidence and document what you see. Ask to speak to Amanda Han (tmiah033@tmiah.tcg.gov.tw / 02 8789 7133), as she speaks great English and comes highly recommended by the RSPCA as being an animal-welfare officer with great potential.

Animal Protection Law, Article 5.

All animal keepers shall supply the animals in their care with adequate food, water, and living space. Safe and sanitary shelters with proper ventilation, lighting, and temperature shall also be provided, along with other suitable care. Animal keepers shall also avoid to harass, maltreat, or harm their animals.

Article 11.

Animal keepers shall provide proper medical care for their animals in the event of injury or illness.

A medical treatment of and surgical operation on animals shall be carried out by a veterinarian in accordance with the requirements of the animals' health and management, except in the cases of emergency, scientific utilization, or other conditions specified by the competent central organization.

Animal Protection Law in full: http://www.gio.gov.tw/info/98html/aplaw.htm
TMIAH Website: http://www.tmiah.tcg.gov.tw/homepage/frameset_set4.jsp
TMIAH No.: Tel: 02-8789-7158, or 02-87897131 for Animal Protection Law enforcement - this department also oversees pet shops and breeders and the issuance of licenses.)

The TMIAH has successfully penalised offenders in over 200 cases in the last couple of years. If more people report animal abuse or cruelty, this office will have to do even more.

Please, report what you see and follow up to see what the TMIAH is doing. (Don't lose your patience with them, as they do what they can with the resources they have, and we don't want them to stop trying because foreigners start shouting at them for the red-tape the government wraps them up in.)

Good luck and please let us know what happens.

Sean

Moderator Edit:
Kaohsiung City Municipal Institute for Animal Health: (07)224-9733

Kaohsiung County Municipal Institute for Animal Health:(07)746-2368
SUPPORT ANIMAL RESCUE WHEN SERVICING, SOURCING, REPAIRING, OR BUYING A CAR THROUGH AUTOCHECKERS!

I'm NOT SO ACTIVE HERE ANY MORE. IF YOU NEED HELP WITH AN ANIMAL RESCUE OR DOG-BEHAVIOUR ISSUE, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT s e a n i m a l s @ g m a i l . c o m OR CALL 0920 620 109. THANKS!

Want to learn how the dog whisperer does his magic? Learn the simple but highly effective tricks to bringing about positive change in your dog: http://seanimals.blogspot.com/

"I will be quoted in someone's signature, even if I have to do it myself!"—Stray Dog
Forumosan avatar
Stray Dog
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby Namahottie » 13 Nov 2006, 16:23

Do they speak English at those numbers? I have a few case I could report.
@michellemalkin Just so we're perfectly fucking clear here: You're a crazy fucking shitwad. Enjoy your night. Read more at @MayorEmanuel
Namahottie
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 13 Nov 2006, 16:28

Nama, first part of Sean's post says:
Ask to speak to Amanda Yeh, as she speaks great English and comes highly recommended by the RSPCA as being an animal-welfare officer with great potential.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Namahottie » 13 Nov 2006, 16:29

sandman wrote:Nama, first part of Sean's post says:
Ask to speak to Amanda Yeh, as she speaks great English and comes highly recommended by the RSPCA as being an animal-welfare officer with great potential.

I don't read anymore I guess. :oops: :oops:
@michellemalkin Just so we're perfectly fucking clear here: You're a crazy fucking shitwad. Enjoy your night. Read more at @MayorEmanuel
Namahottie

2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby gaboman » 13 Nov 2006, 18:10

I'm glad you guys changed the title away from the unfortunate "...if you see animal abuse by Stray Dog". I was gonna begin staking his kennel out to catch him at it (er, abusing animals, that is)...

Getting evidence is particularly important in this procedure... without it, the animal protection people can't do squat. But this is important to protect us rather than people who do abuse animals. Without this rule, anybody could claim that they saw, say, Stray Dog beating a dog within an inch of its life and all his hard work rescuing the many dogs with him now will be worth nothing, as they face certain death. Not to mention, if they came for my dogs, I'd be on the roof dropping anvils and pianos on their heads.
Forumosan avatar
gaboman
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Re: What to do if you see animal abuse (new contact details)

Postby Stray Dog » 25 Dec 2006, 00:40

Stray Dog wrote:Please, if you see anything that contravenes the Animal Protection Law, contact the Taipei Municipal Institute for Animal Health and report it. Get evidence and document what you see. Ask to speak to Amanda Han (tmiah033@tmiah.tcg.gov.tw / 02 8789 7133), as she speaks great English and comes highly recommended by the RSPCA as being an animal-welfare officer with great potential.

I just updated the contact name and info.
SUPPORT ANIMAL RESCUE WHEN SERVICING, SOURCING, REPAIRING, OR BUYING A CAR THROUGH AUTOCHECKERS!

I'm NOT SO ACTIVE HERE ANY MORE. IF YOU NEED HELP WITH AN ANIMAL RESCUE OR DOG-BEHAVIOUR ISSUE, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT s e a n i m a l s @ g m a i l . c o m OR CALL 0920 620 109. THANKS!

Want to learn how the dog whisperer does his magic? Learn the simple but highly effective tricks to bringing about positive change in your dog: http://seanimals.blogspot.com/

"I will be quoted in someone's signature, even if I have to do it myself!"—Stray Dog
Forumosan avatar
Stray Dog

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

snake skinning

Postby fenlander » 14 Feb 2007, 23:51

So when are they going to stop the owners of snake and reptile shops in snake alley, skinning the snakes alive ?

I think that is cruel. Am i alone in this ? It is quite a nasty way to kill a snake. Why not smack it in the head first to stun it and then kill it. Why slowly peel it alive ? Is that legal in Taiwan ?
"History is a people's memory, and without a memory, man is demoted to the lower animals."
fenlander
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

25 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Re: snake skinning

Postby Stray Dog » 15 Feb 2007, 13:46

fenlander wrote:So when are they going to stop the owners of snake and reptile shops in snake alley, skinning the snakes alive ?

I think that is cruel. Am i alone in this ? It is quite a nasty way to kill a snake. Why not smack it in the head first to stun it and then kill it. Why slowly peel it alive ? Is that legal in Taiwan ?

I agree. And the fact that it takes place so publicly. You can also see mongooses fighting cobras and videos of illegal dogfighting down there.

This is one area I would like to see something done about. As Animals Taiwan grows, assisting law enforcement is something we would love to move into - perhaps as an SPCA.

You should definitely write to various government bodies about this, including the Council of Agriculture and the tourist board, as well as asking Amanda what she suggests. And try contacting EAST, http://www.east.org.tw/, as this is what they specialize in.

Forumosan avatar
Stray Dog

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby fenlander » 15 Feb 2007, 22:22

I have complained before to different people actually. I got into a fight down there many years ago (nasty one). The fight was over an orangutan they had chained up down there. They kept smashing it over the head with a small iron rod eveytime it didn't do its tricks. I got pissed off and it all started. Lucky I was with my brother in law who is a Taiwan cop as getting into fights down there u will lose unless you run off fast. He calmed it down. As they will come at you ten to one with machetes etc Anyway the orangatan was never seen again.

Basically nothing has been done down there as the animal protection officers dare do nothing down there. (I guess and don't blame them for it).

This needs more major exposure. The government cleaned up the red light area compared to what it was around there but not snake alley. If anyone is good with secret cameras then go down there again and film it secretly. Be warned that the last guy that got caught doing that (a german) got beaten with iron bars, was in the hospital for a long time looking like the elephant man. ( so be careful if you do it). the offenders, if I remember correctly, were not caught.
"History is a people's memory, and without a memory, man is demoted to the lower animals."
fenlander

25 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby canucktyuktuk » 22 Dec 2007, 00:42

Excuse me, is this contact information current? There is some abuse going on in my neighborhood and I need to report it before I start abusing these asswipe people myself.

Unbelieveable how people can just not put themselves in an animals place-even for an instant. How would you like to be tied up all day on a one meter leash inches from your own excrement? How would you like it if somebody 50 times greater than you came over to smack you around every time you cried or whimpered.
canucktyuktuk
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

9 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Pets & Other Animals