What to do if you see animal abuse (new contact details)

Re: What to do if you see animal abuse (new contact details)

Postby fenlander » 16 Mar 2011, 15:42

No as there is DNA evidence and his word against yours. There may also be witnesses. He may also just pay some people to break your legs or worse. As a foreigner you are easy to spot. You may be a UFC winner it doesn't matter if you are identifiable they will get you. There is little defense against being run over by a blue truck. Don't resort to violence in another country unless in self defense. You may of course restrain the man with what is considered reasonable force to prevent him from harming the animal. Taiwan prison is not a nice place at all so don't risk it. I do not however do as I preach
fenlander
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

25 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby ushneb » 17 Mar 2011, 10:48

I was only joking. I have much more self restraint that I made myself out to be. I wouldn't be happy if I had seen it though. I just hope I don't ever come across a situation like this. But it's good to know who to report to if I do.
Forumosan avatar
ushneb
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby Stray Dog » 17 Mar 2011, 11:09

You now have an SPCA in Taiwan, specifically set up to investigate animal cruelty. Use it.

http://www.spca.org.tw/contact-us-32879 ... 24335.html
Forumosan avatar
Stray Dog
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 09 Jul 2011, 03:54

That is so good that some areas have these services here! I must say Taiwan is one of the worst places as far as animal cruelty goes I have ever been. I like Taipei for reasons like this, there is more crackdown on idiotic behaviour. IN the country side i could find you 1000 abused dogs any day of the week, and probably a bunch of birds, turtles etc. I particularly hate the caged dog thing that is VERY common here. In some areas its almost every other house has some caged dog, and if not a dog some form of bird.

It makes me so happy to see there are peopel that care and try to change these things. Much respect!

But i feel the warnings about engaging people here are very very well said. Taiwanese are nice people, but there are a number of hot heads and people do get smashed and murdered over some heated argument that could of turned out differently. Stay safe, your safety before the poor animals, as harsh as that sounds.
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby mukashi » 29 Jun 2012, 10:42

Hi,

Do you guys know any organization I could call for animal rescue in Taichung/Zhanghua area?

I know Tuapa is working here, but I mailed them yesterday, so far no response. I need something I could use for emergencies.

I thought I have one, but gladly not. Last two days while going back from work (I work in a total middle of nowhere in Zhanghua county, but live in Taichung) I saw a big dog tied with a rope to a tree. He was beautiful but I could see the skin problems, like lots of big furry dogs gets here. The tree was next to a rice fields, in that area there is some fruit market, but generally middle of nowhere. I was so worried all evening that the dog was lost there forever not just for a while, and was planning what should I do if it would still be there in the morning. And seriously - I had no idea!
I drive a scooter, so not sure if I could take it to anywhere... even if, then to where? I have a cat and apartment building where neighbors can say "no dogs" if the dog as much as barks once. :bluemad: So even if I could take the dog somewhere - where?
Or who should I come to pick him up? I hear Taiwanese dog shelters are not so good in here...

any suggestion? I want to be ready for such situation.

Agnes
Forumosan avatar
mukashi
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

38 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Ex Animo » 29 Jun 2012, 21:27

Try sending a PM to douglas@taichungpaws.org (that's his username).

Thanks for wanting to help this dog. And good luck!
sean@thesanctuarytaiwan.org / 0920 620109

Call me for emergency animal rescue; any time of day or night is fine for real emergencies
Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 25 Mar 1999

Postby mukashi » 30 Jun 2012, 09:55

Thanks, I will try. Seems like the things are more organized there in Taipei. Taichung I know have some organizations too. I wonder about Zhanghua, this is more of a countryside, and usually it's get worse in places like that.
Sigh :ponder:
Forumosan avatar
mukashi

38 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby mama0000 » 21 Dec 2012, 20:07

Pingdong wrote:That is so good that some areas have these services here! I must say Taiwan is one of the worst places as far as animal cruelty goes I have ever been. I like Taipei for reasons like this, there is more crackdown on idiotic behaviour. IN the country side i could find you 1000 abused dogs any day of the week, and probably a bunch of birds, turtles etc. I particularly hate the caged dog thing that is VERY common here. In some areas its almost every other house has some caged dog, and if not a dog some form of bird.

It makes me so happy to see there are peopel that care and try to change these things. Much respect!

But i feel the warnings about engaging people here are very very well said. Taiwanese are nice people, but there are a number of hot heads and people do get smashed and murdered over some heated argument that could of turned out differently. Stay safe, your safety before the poor animals, as harsh as that sounds.

I have heard some scary stories abotu things like that here but it's nothing like in the U.S.
mama0000
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

In Taiwan since: 01 Jan 2011

Postby gentletree » 22 Dec 2012, 12:16

There's an old post at the beginning of this thread that provides some contact information. Is it current?
gentletree
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

1 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 05 Aug 2012

Postby gentletree » 22 Dec 2012, 12:34

At Yongfeng Rd. No. 262 there is a factory. Not just any factory, but one that instead of using a proper gate or guard uses an emotionally tortured black dog to bear its teeth and bark incessantly at anything that moves. It is kept in a small wooden box that allows just its head to protrude through a small hole.

As I passed a new Lexus was leaving the facility ...

What's the legal recourse for dealing with this?
gentletree

1 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 05 Aug 2012

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Pets & Other Animals