Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

What to do if you see animal abuse (new contact details)

Postby Dr Zoidberg » 22 Dec 2007, 00:52

Taiwan has animal protection laws? Wow! I never would have thunk it.
You may have lost the woman of your dreams, but you still have Zoidberg.

YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!
Dr Zoidberg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

Postby Stray Dog » 22 Dec 2007, 02:29

canucktyuktuk wrote:Excuse me, is this contact information current? There is some abuse going on in my neighborhood and I need to report it before I start abusing these asswipe people myself.

Amanda has left the TMIAH - I hate to say it but probably disillusioned. The new contact: Elle Jian, tmiah018XXX@XXXtmiah.tcg.gov.tw (remove the X's; the address she wrote down was actually '@tamih ...', but I'm guessing that was a 'typo'. The phone number should be the same. Elle speaks English.

Good luck!
Stray Dog
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: What to do if you see animal abuse (new contact details)

Postby Icon » 19 Jun 2009, 14:21

UPDATE on legislation changes:

Anyone caught abusing stray cats or dogs can be slapped with heavy fines or can be sentenced to a maximum one-year prison term, a Council of Agriculture (COA) official said Thursday in response to a spate of reports of animal abuse in recent weeks. Hsu Kuei-sen, director of the COA's Animal Industry Department, pointed out that the Animal Protection Act prohibits maltreatment or abuse of animals, with violators facing fines ranging between NT$100,000 (US$3,030) and NT$1 million or sentences of up to a year.

Anyone who spots cases involving animal abuse can report them to city or county animal protection authorities, Hsu said, adding that if a case is considered a danger to public security, it should be reported to the closest police station.

From CNA
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby sandman » 19 Jun 2009, 14:44

Icon wrote:UPDATE on legislation changes:

Anyone caught abusing stray cats or dogs can be slapped with heavy fines or can be sentenced to a maximum one-year prison term, a Council of Agriculture (COA) official said Thursday in response to a spate of reports of animal abuse in recent weeks. Hsu Kuei-sen, director of the COA's Animal Industry Department, pointed out that the Animal Protection Act prohibits maltreatment or abuse of animals, with violators facing fines ranging between NT$100,000 (US$3,030) and NT$1 million or sentences of up to a year.

Anyone who spots cases involving animal abuse can report them to city or county animal protection authorities, Hsu said, adding that if a case is considered a danger to public security, it should be reported to the closest police station.

From CNA

Not an update. That's the existing legislation.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

Postby Icon » 19 Jun 2009, 16:03

Reminder, then. :D
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Re:

Postby fenlander » 24 Jun 2009, 10:04

canucktyuktuk wrote:Excuse me, is this contact information current? There is some abuse going on in my neighborhood and I need to report it before I start abusing these asswipe people myself.

Unbelieveable how people can just not put themselves in an animals place-even for an instant. How would you like to be tied up all day on a one meter leash inches from your own excrement? How would you like it if somebody 50 times greater than you came over to smack you around every time you cried or whimpered.

yeah report them, the dumb wankers. Stray dog will tell you if the number is the same.

I saw an old lady doing that to a pig at a betel nut stand before. But then a week later I saw her doing it to her kid! I guess she had it done to her when she was young too. Still bullet in between the eyes would stop the cycle of abuse perhaps!
fenlander
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Postby Taiwan for Life » 05 Oct 2009, 09:35

There's a cute golden retriever that has been tied to a tree nearly all summer. It's in the grounds of a restaurant that has a huge outdoor area, so it's even more ironic / heartbreaking that the poor thing is just there looking lost and bewildered. Somehow it survived the intense heat and humidity of the summer but now the weather is changing. I live in a particularly rainy part of Taiwan and it's been pouring non-stop for the last couple of days and the poor soul is still there...I can't take this any longer, who should I call, what can I do. Thanks.
Taiwan for Life
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Stray Dog » 05 Oct 2009, 17:35

Call the TMIAH and ask them to put you in touch with their counterparts in your area. Get video and photographic evidence first, if possible.
I'm NOT SO ACTIVE HERE ANY MORE. IF YOU NEED HELP WITH AN ANIMAL RESCUE OR DOG-BEHAVIOUR ISSUE, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT s e a n @thesanctuarytaiwan.org OR CALL 0920 620 109. THANKS!
Stray Dog

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby suiyuan31 » 07 Sep 2010, 10:21

I have to admit I often feel overwhelmed by the amount of abuse I see here.
Last week, I was out having a smoke on my balcony and I hear this guy yelling at his dog to come, over and over. I dip my head over and see that the dog is not leashed, and it's a schnauzer...probably the worst breed I can think of not to leash, lol. So I'm watching this idiot trying to get his dog to stay with him as he walks, the dog finally comes to him and what does he do? He wacks it on the ass with a switch. Now I'm just pissed :fume:

So forget for a second that hitting a dog is abusive...how fucking dumb is this guy? He's trying to teach the dog to come to him by hitting him? And he wonders why the dog won't come to him? And this is how he is trying to train his dog to be leashless?

So the dog comes back a second time, the guy tells him to sit, then he raises the switch, at which point I scream HEY loud enough that it echoes (I'm sure the entire block heard me). I called him an idiot, then offered to come down and beat him with a stick (all in Chinese of course). The guy disappears fast enough so he doesn't get beaten by the crazy foreigner, and his poor wife follows along.

I probably didn't handle the situation well. I can't imagine that I made that poor little dog's life easier. He probably got home and smacked it around some more, or took it out on his wife or whatever. But in that kind of situation, I had nothing to report. I didn't have time to take a picture, nor did I really have a way to know where this guy lived without following him.

I'm just glad there were six floors of separation between us, otherwise, I probably would have taken his stick, smacked him a few times and then screamed "guo lai, guo lai"...and I probably would be facing deportation, lol.

What is the best thing to do in such a situation? I really have no idea. For me, quietly going down and following him or trying to take a picture wouldn't work because I, admittedly, have a temper...especially when it comes to this sort of thing.
I'm an acquired taste. If you don't like me, acquire some taste.
suiyuan31
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

Postby Stray Dog » 07 Sep 2010, 12:50

While it's not a response that I could responsibly promote, what you did probably will have a positive effect, as the guy will almost certainly think twice before hitting his dog again, especially in public.

The mistake he's making--hitting a dog that eventually follows his command--is global, of course.
I'm NOT SO ACTIVE HERE ANY MORE. IF YOU NEED HELP WITH AN ANIMAL RESCUE OR DOG-BEHAVIOUR ISSUE, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT s e a n @thesanctuarytaiwan.org OR CALL 0920 620 109. THANKS!
Stray Dog

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Pets & Other Animals