Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

What to do if you see animal abuse (new contact details)

Re: What to do if you see animal abuse (new contact details)

Postby fenlander » 26 Nov 2010, 14:08

suiyuan31 wrote:I have to admit I often feel overwhelmed by the amount of abuse I see here.
Last week, I was out having a smoke on my balcony and I hear this guy yelling at his dog to come, over and over. I dip my head over and see that the dog is not leashed, and it's a schnauzer...probably the worst breed I can think of not to leash, lol. So I'm watching this idiot trying to get his dog to stay with him as he walks, the dog finally comes to him and what does he do? He wacks it on the ass with a switch. Now I'm just pissed :fume:

So forget for a second that hitting a dog is abusive...how fucking dumb is this guy? He's trying to teach the dog to come to him by hitting him? And he wonders why the dog won't come to him? And this is how he is trying to train his dog to be leashless?

So the dog comes back a second time, the guy tells him to sit, then he raises the switch, at which point I scream HEY loud enough that it echoes (I'm sure the entire block heard me). I called him an idiot, then offered to come down and beat him with a stick (all in Chinese of course). The guy disappears fast enough so he doesn't get beaten by the crazy foreigner, and his poor wife follows along.

I probably didn't handle the situation well. I can't imagine that I made that poor little dog's life easier. He probably got home and smacked it around some more, or took it out on his wife or whatever. But in that kind of situation, I had nothing to report. I didn't have time to take a picture, nor did I really have a way to know where this guy lived without following him.

I'm just glad there were six floors of separation between us, otherwise, I probably would have taken his stick, smacked him a few times and then screamed "guo lai, guo lai"...and I probably would be facing deportation, lol.

What is the best thing to do in such a situation? I really have no idea. For me, quietly going down and following him or trying to take a picture wouldn't work because I, admittedly, have a temper...especially when it comes to this sort of thing.

you should of told him to reward his dog for correct behaviour. He probably beat the hell out of that dog when he got it home. Not a good move on your part.
He is ignorant and needs education. However, I have done the same thing or similar before as you did but yeah wrong response on your part and very wrong and idiotic behaviour on his. I have learned to better control myself here and try to get the message across or at least get them to think about it.
fenlander
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Postby elburro » 26 Nov 2010, 17:31

I often see dogs being kept in tiny cages or boxes day and night. I'm just not sure how to best document such abuse? Do any of you have examples of what photos/videos you have taken to document animal abuse? Especially of cases where animals are being kept in tiny cages/boxes?

I got one particular case that I'd like to report. This dog must have been kept in a tiny box for a couple of years. Never seen it outside the box.
Triple-strength fish oil capsules for healthy hearts, brains and joints. http://www.isbjorn.com.tw
High purity omega-3 imported directly from Norway to Taiwan.
elburro
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby fenlander » 31 Dec 2010, 22:42

OKay thanks to this board a horse has just been saved from a horrible life in Kaoshung (Gaoxiong) county. A Taiwanese student friend of mine took a picture of a horse that was chained up night and day on a tiny chain so it could not even move around. It was very neglected. My friend was in despair as she had no idea what she could do or who she could call to help the horse. I gave her the animal protection website as posted on this thread. The people in charge of the animal protection website then gave her another number for south Taiwan 072237213. Within three days the owner had been fined 30 000NT$.
The aunthorities are now also going to keep a close eye on the horse and make sure he (the owner) keeps to his pledge of treating it more humanely in the future.
So happy new year to the horse. It took just one phone call some good photographs and three days to give that horse a better life. This was a great new years present for me as I love horses.
fenlander

Postby Stray Dog » 01 Jan 2011, 05:55

Good for you! :bravo:
I'm NOT SO ACTIVE HERE ANY MORE. IF YOU NEED HELP WITH AN ANIMAL RESCUE OR DOG-BEHAVIOUR ISSUE, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT s e a n @thesanctuarytaiwan.org OR CALL 0920 620 109. THANKS!
Stray Dog
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re:

Postby zaowangyeh » 01 Jan 2011, 07:46

Dr Zoidberg wrote:Taiwan has animal protection laws? Wow! I never would have thunk it.

You wouldn't believe the pioneer days then son. Herding dens of street dogs with nunchacku, betting on fights, and tailing road side stand vendors as they bait their prey to slaughterhouse.
"Vous tuerez votre cœur, car il devient trop difficile à vivre."-Jean Giono
zaowangyeh
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby hipster dufus » 01 Jan 2011, 13:51

I definitely think calling the phone numbers posted by Stray Dog is the way to go. Unfortunately, yelling at these people is not the answer and could get you hurt or even killed. As satisfying as it may seem to yell-at or put your knuckle sandwich on the chops of an animal abuser, you in turn would be an abuser as well. This is a worldwide problem. Even in developed countries the abuse still goes on, ahem Michael Vick.

If you see something that is immediate, use your cell phone or other to record the incident then contact the authorities. The video must be clear as the abuser can deny the image. Don't try to follow the abuser as it may lead to a confrontation. If you do follow them try not to be obvious. If you are confronted keep your camera rolling. You need evidence if anything occurs. Also look around where the abuse took place. They may have video cameras there. Record the license plate on their vehicle as to make it easier for authorities to locate the individual.
OH REALLY, CUZ I GOT THIS OUTFIT FROM YO MOMMA!
hipster dufus

Postby bumclouds » 02 Feb 2011, 00:29

Today as I was walking to the 24hr Mcdonalds I saw a dog running across the middle of the road. Before I could even think of what to do a car hit him (at about ~60km/h?) There was a terrible thud and the dog ran back across the road screaming/yelping. He ran back into a nearby shop and the owners of the dog began mopping up the blood while the dog was shaking with trauma. There were some shop owners about 3 doors down who were laughing and clapping at the dog and trying to get him to come over like he was OK.

My Chinese isn't very good but I tried to tell them that there is an animal hospital a little bit down the road and it might be open still, but they just ignored me. Is there anything I can do? I'm pretty sure the dog will be dying a pretty slow, horrible death right now.
Your warning level: [4]
bumclouds
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

Postby jimipresley » 02 Feb 2011, 00:38

Sure-fire way to have your holiday ruined, isn't it? I dunno. Go back and offer to pay for treatment yourself and shame them into action? Breaks your heart, eh?
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

In Taiwan since: 07 Apr 2001

Postby petr0lb0mb » 02 Feb 2011, 18:20

fenlander wrote:OKay thanks to this board a horse has just been saved from a horrible life in Kaoshung (Gaoxiong) (Gaoxiong) county.

Nice! Thank you and your friend!
petr0lb0mb
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby ushneb » 16 Mar 2011, 03:54

Video evidence applies to people as well right? What I mean is if I inadvertently beat the crap out of some a-hole who abuses his dog and there is no video evidence of me laying a finger on him, then I'm in the clear. Right? lol

It's like that saying, if a tree falls in a forest and there is no one there to hear it, does it still make a sound?

Some people are just unbelievable. Luckily I haven't seen such abuse other than what's been reported on TV, but I think I would completely lose it.
ushneb
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Pets & Other Animals