Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Eww! Cockroaches!

Cockroaches-How do they make it to the third floor?!

Postby hairy knuckles » 01 Jul 2004, 18:35

1) Crawling up the stairs and then under the doors?
2)Up through the drain pipes and then under the doors?
3)Fly onto the balcony?
4)Jump onto the balcony from nearby trees?
5)Get brought into the home by the owner when at a miniscule size.
6)Enter through tiny cracks/holes in the walls?

Are there any major differences between an all-black one and the type that is light brown and has dark brown streaks on the back?
Amituofo
hairy knuckles
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby MJB » 01 Jul 2004, 19:10

All but number 5.
Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit
MJB
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Postby Rascal » 02 Jul 2004, 10:23

Cockroaches get eventually everywhere, even up to the 11th floor or higher.

You forgot another option: taking the elevator. :wink:
Sign here
Rascal
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Postby songzzz » 02 Jul 2004, 11:07

They are born there.
songzzz
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby mod lang » 02 Jul 2004, 12:45

Get a cat. Cats in Taiwan love to eat cockroaches.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not have it."
-- George Bernard Shaw

Show me a cultural relativist at thirty thousand feet and I'll show you a hypocrite. Airplanes are built according to scientific principles and they work. They stay aloft and they get you to a chosen destination. Airplanes built to tribal or mythological specifications such as the dummy planes of the Cargo cults in jungle clearings or the bees-waxed wings of Icarus don't.
mod lang
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby OldToeSave » 02 Jul 2004, 12:49

mod lang wrote:Get a cat. Cats in Taiwan love to eat cockroaches.

Really?

Get some Geckos...same reason and not as smelly.

I keep an empty tin can around and trap them. I then leave them to their own good graces. They usually die after 2 or 3 days, but I had one live for 3 weeks.

I actually trapped 2 in one can the other day. They were both dead the next morning.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
OldToeSave
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Postby mod lang » 02 Jul 2004, 12:57

Why do you think people domesticated cats in the first place?

They're not just furry little layabouts to stroke and pet. Sometimes cats actually do have a practical purpose.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not have it."
-- George Bernard Shaw

Show me a cultural relativist at thirty thousand feet and I'll show you a hypocrite. Airplanes are built according to scientific principles and they work. They stay aloft and they get you to a chosen destination. Airplanes built to tribal or mythological specifications such as the dummy planes of the Cargo cults in jungle clearings or the bees-waxed wings of Icarus don't.
mod lang

Postby Mother Theresa » 02 Jul 2004, 13:00

Get a gecko? Geckos came with my place. I see them often on the walls and ceiling and hear their call. Fortunately, I've explained to my wife that they eat mosquitos, so she too appreciates them. I can't imagine them eating cockroaches though -- do they really?

Mod Lang, does your cat lick your face after she's eaten cockroaches?

In our apartment one of their major points of entry for cockroaches is the drains in the bathroom, or so I believe because the bathroom is one of the most likely places we find them.

My wife has me go in with a flip-flop and smack them. I had a student once who was a devout buddhist and she told me she and her husband would throw their cockroaches out the window rather than kill them.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Dangermouse » 02 Jul 2004, 13:50

I keep an empty tin can around and trap them. I then leave them to their own good graces. They usually die after 2 or 3 days, but I had one live for 3 weeks.

I thought gheckos lived for ages. They really do eat cockroaches. I saw one while waiting outside a 7-11. It wasn't very big but it ran down the 7-11 window to catch a strolling cockroach which was about 4 times wider than the ghecko. I don't know how it swallowed it.
And it's true, gheckos really do keep the mosquito population down. They can come round my place for tea anytime.
Dangermouse
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

Postby Rascal » 02 Jul 2004, 14:18

Geckos, or rather the common house lizards, shit around anywhere. Well, better than a cockroach crawling into your bed ...
Sign here
Rascal
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals