Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Eww! Cockroaches!

Re: Eww! Cockroaches!

Postby mushypea » 27 Aug 2014, 16:25

I just got served a soup with a drowned baby cockroach. Gladly, I saw him floating there before I got to take a sip. I have a pretty bad phobia of the buggers, and had it been a fully grown one, I would have either passed out or thrown up.
I've eaten at that place several times and the only reason I finished my meal was because I felt very bad for the chef who was embarrassed and told me he was 'very sad' after apologising for a good half hour.
Cockroaches are number one on my list of things I hate about this climate zone.
mushypea
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

In Taiwan since: 14 Nov 2013

Postby kungfuken » 31 Aug 2014, 13:20

Leftywang81 wrote:Hmm I've never heard of roaches being attracted to water. Water is everywhere. I've been living at my current location for about 2 years and I'd say during that time I've only come across roaches a handful of times. Less than 10. I'm on the 2nd floor too so its not like I'm on the 20th floor on a high-rise or anything. I have left food out on the table or forgotten to throw away scraps and used paper plates right away, but I've been very fortunate that I havent encountered as many roaches as I have. From the sound of things, an important factor may very well be location. If I was dealing with roaches on a daily basis or had one pop up every week, I would move...

In my cursory research everyone has suggested the presence of standing water is a pretty big roach turn-on. That said I think the quality of the building and its age is also a big factor- if there's moisture within walls and ceilings from leaking pipes, mould here and there, the grout's come away around the tiles etc, then you're more likely to have buggers trying their luck I think. For example I've heard that ants preferentially nest in moist, mouldy wood, from long-term water exposure, which you're more likely to find in an old building than new.

Icon wrote:Dunno. I mostly find roaches floating in my pets water dishes....

Kungfuken, I'd go Drano and hot water on all drains, then seal them off while not in use -with those stick ons or plastic lids they sell. Yes, there are poisons specifically for ants, and others for roaches -traps and roach motels and stuff. I have found that a multi pronged approach works best.

Hey Icon. Yeah, I think I'll head down to Carrefour again and see if I can get those drain covers and maybe a more universal "come and eat this poison" trap for the other strange creepy crawlies I've got going on.

It's funny that I'm so sensitive about bugs when in Australia bugs (and even dangerous ones) are such a fact of life that we tend to ignore their existence.
kungfuken
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

In Taiwan since: 16 Jul 2014

Postby Icon » 01 Sep 2014, 09:45

I buy mine at Costco. Big batches.

We have shoe sized roaches where I come from. Rhino beetles. Poisonous hand sized spiders and killer slugs -you are dead in 2 minutes. So it does not help when bugs here are so resilient and ubiquitous.

EDIT:

Found one of my favorite Australia pics:

ImageUntitled by Bolita5, on Flickr
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby kungfuken » 08 Sep 2014, 15:20

Funnily enough the only things on that list which scare me are the crocs (aggressive and fucking huge), spiders (hi, I'm deadly, and I'm setting up shop in your bathroom), and the jellies (oh, you didn't see me floating 15 metres above you? Guess what I just stung you. Good luck getting to a hospital before your organs shut down.)

Snakes are not aggressive generally speaking, even though Ausland has 7 of the 10 most deadly snakes, including numbers 1-3. Kangaroos run from approaching people unless they're used to them and I grew up seeing them on the daily at my local sports oval or golf course. Cassowaries are actually dangerous but restricted to one area really (northern queensland). Even stingrays, you have to seriously antagonise them to get them to sting you- like step on them pretty hard. If they sense you are coming near they will flee, and even if you tread on them most of the time they flee.
kungfuken

In Taiwan since: 16 Jul 2014

Postby Icon » 09 Sep 2014, 09:30

In the ol country, alligators love tourists. And drunks.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Leftywang81 » 09 Sep 2014, 16:34

Haha I don't think the roach phobia has anything to do with them being dangerous. If anything, they are quite harmless. They are just the most disgusting creatures ever created. Why? Its that damn BROWN color scheme!!!!! Honestly, if they were green like a praying mantis, I wouldn't even get off my couch if I saw one scurry across my floor. I wouldn't even have any problem picking them up if they were green. But the fact that they are brown makes them that much more disgusting. Am I the only one who thinks this way?
Leftywang81
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

In Taiwan since: 01 Mar 2011

Postby Ibis2k12 » 10 Sep 2014, 10:17

Leftywang81 wrote: Its that damn BROWN color scheme!!!!!

In the eternal struggle between man and roach, we found an ally:

We have two of them inside our apartment, one of them enjoys hanging around between the kitchen and the room where we dry our clothes, the other one enjoys the bathroom and the living room. No idea where they came from, but we've not seen a single roach in over 2 weeks.
My picture gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/107755637@N06/
My random blog about cycling, photography and stuff. Mostly stuff.
https://randomibis.wordpress.com/
Ibis2k12
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

In Taiwan since: 14 Aug 2012

Postby laura.s.bollinger » 10 Sep 2014, 11:54

How to get rid of cockroaches that is kid & pet safe, as well as cheap.

1 spoonful baking soda
1 spoonful powdered sugar
1 spoonful water (an amount to make it like a wet paste, warm water makes it easier)

I mix the 3 ingredients in a small bowl with a chopstick, then pour them into water bottle caps and put them under the refrigerator, furniture, ie dark places. I just use 3 water bottle caps and they stay wet for about a week. You can use granulated sugar, but it doesn't make a paste for some reason. It still works though if you use hot water.

The science behind this:
The cockroaches are attracted to the sugar water, they consume the sugar and baking soda mix, and the baking soda fills them with gas. Because they breath by expanding their exoskeleton, they can't burp. So they literally explode.
laura.s.bollinger
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1994

Postby Tempo Gain » 10 Sep 2014, 13:23

I'm envisioning a plague of kamikaze cockroaches here. Wansui!

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Icon » 10 Sep 2014, 14:30

Once, Toto and I were attacked by a horde of roaches. It was horrible. We were walking down the street when suddenly I saw Toto covered in roaches... then they started up my leg!!! Grabbed Toto, shook off as many as I could, and took off screaming until I got home.

The neighbors were quite amused.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Pets & Other Animals