Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Reporting from the frontlines of the dog vs. cat war

Re: Reporting from the frontlines of the dog vs. cat war

Postby Icon » 22 Dec 2013, 15:15

Well, currently there is a truce due to the cold. We are all sleeping together in peace.

The clothes the cats sleep in are mine, so, I really have to think how to imprint my smell on the dogs and not the other way around...
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby NonTocareLeTete » 27 Dec 2013, 22:17

Icon wrote:Well, currently there is a truce due to the cold. We are all sleeping together in peace.

The clothes the cats sleep in are mine, so, I really have to think how to imprint my smell on the dogs and not the other way around...

Icon I had to log back in here to tell you that I may have spoken too soon in my last post ;)
I'm currently looking after a friend's pup while she is out of town, and it's one of those tiny designer dogs. This dog is very cute (read: dumb as a rock with limited social skills) but has managed to cause more issues in the household in a week than any of the other nine full-sized dogs (read: intelligent with reasonable behavior) I've had in and out over the years.
The visiting dog is about the same size as my cat and she HATES him with a rabid burning fury. She's never so much as blinked an eye at the bigger dogs, but grows visibly disturbed the moment tiny designer dog enters a room. BEfore this week, I think I've seen my cat hiss once in 5 years of having her. Now her hissing is the soundtrack to my life.
She's also pooed on my dog's bed twice this week (in protest?).
I'm keeping them separated.
My normal-sized dog also doesn't know what to make of her pint-sized new friend. She doesn't seem to mind having her genitals licked for hours, but this afternoon when the lil one took to following her around humping her leg at every opportunity, I thought I saw a hint of rage in my otherwise gentle companion's eyes. She kept gazing up at me sorrowfully as lil bit pumped madly away at her hind leg, as if pleading for me to make it stop. Alas, there's nothing I can do, because if I don't leave the little one free for a good segment of every day, she will keep us up all night with her oddly infant-like gurgling.

I don't know man. I'm sticking to full-sized dogs from now on. These hybrid dog-cat-rat mixes are deranged.
NonTocareLeTete
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Postby Icon » 30 Dec 2013, 10:59

Yep, the Napoleon Syndrome. Yep, it is called like that. It is we owners fault. For example, since we carry them in doggie purses, the toy dogs believe they are taller than they are.

Moreover, even under normal conditions, in a pack, it is the smaller dog that rules. Compensates size with personality. That is why they are so disruptive. Bobby experience at the vet was "he bullies doggies smaller than himself and picks up fights with larger ones". I raised a bully...

I also agree that doggies are not as smart as cats, which in my experience is contradictory as most pets become smarter the more time you devote together. Nope, not doggies. And yes, cats do poop or do other disgusting stuff on your stuff to sign their displeasure.

Seems to me your little friend is isolated most of the day, has no contact with humans or other dogs, probably one of those cage cases. Too much pent up energy. Take her jogging with the big dogs, that is what I do when mine go hyper. One run over the bridge and they are exhausted and leave me in peace. Good luck. Your friend owes you big.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby hansioux » 30 Dec 2013, 11:18

if only we can take our cats jogging....
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby shiadoa » 07 Apr 2014, 20:50

Of course Dogs can have impeccable manners at the table
shiadoa
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

In Taiwan since: 29 Jun 2011

Postby Icon » 08 Apr 2014, 10:47

True. My dogs leave not a drop on the floor. The cats' feeding area looks like aerial bombardment of kibble.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Icon » 17 Jun 2014, 15:32

Well, the violence has escalated, and with it, the damage. Several cherished candle holders and water bowls have been broken, plus one electric fan. The cats have taken to decorating my bedspread with number 2s. This is usually a sign of sickness but after checking with the vet, unfortunately, it is because the cats are tense and showing their displeasure.

While I am awake and home, there is peace and quiet in the realm. As soon as I fall asleep or leave... open fire! I wake up on Omaha beach reenactment... carnage and destruction.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby hansioux » 17 Jun 2014, 17:24

you really need that bald guy from Animal Planet...

last time I saw him teach a couple to train their bengal by having the cat go through a course after feeding.

probably this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr3lg5dXQrI

but you probably need to watch this episode...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmCxflqbboA

I recall him saying it's difficult for cats to feel secure in apartment buildings because of the corridors makes them feel like they are cornered. The solution is construct aerial pathways for them to get above groundd and have multiple exits, that way they feel less threatened.
hansioux

Postby Icon » 17 Jun 2014, 17:34

hansioux wrote:you really need that bald guy from Animal Planet...

last time I saw him teach a couple to train their bengal by having the cat go through a course after feeding.

probably this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr3lg5dXQrI

but you probably need to watch this episode...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmCxflqbboA

Yep, that second episode, all of it.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby hansioux » 17 Jun 2014, 17:38

guess not, i guess that episode is really not available.
hansioux

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Pets & Other Animals