Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Reporting from the frontlines of the dog vs. cat war

Reporting from the frontlines of the dog vs. cat war

Postby Icon » 07 Jul 2009, 13:35

I am definetively doing something wrong. The more they live together, the more they hate each other.

The dog used to roll with the punches. Then he just got fed up of the body slams and food thefts. I think the straw that broke the cammels back was that the cats started stealing his cheese treats.

I served the cats their own cheesy treats. Nope, they wanted them from the dog's bowl.

Now it's the staredown contest. Entrance to the cats' room is blocked by a gate. Well, a cat or two sit on one side, the dog at the other, and they growl and bark to each other. I put up a courtain and what do you know, they brought it down.

And talking about bringing it down, over the weekend, the cats brought down the dog carrier -you know, one of those bags- from the hook by the door -along with several other purses- and peed on it. I didn't notice until I put the dog in it, went out and started getting weird stares...

*Sigh*
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Reporting from the frontlines of the dog vs. cat war

Postby mr_boogie » 07 Jul 2009, 13:46

sad they don't get together... at least my dog goes well with any cat I remember, specialy if they want to play with her...
If a motorcyclist wants to show national pride, enhance social safety and family happiness, he/she must: (1) drive ethically and obey the laws (2) have great driving skills (3) stop smoking and drinking

(from the driving license test......)
mr_boogie
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Postby the chief » 07 Jul 2009, 14:16

Maybe you're going to have to get a more compatible pair of pets.

You know, something like a Tyrannosaurus Rex and a goat tethered to a stake, for example...
"Got to hurry back to my hotel room
Where I got me a date with a pretty little girl from Split"

You're driftin' out of touch, Doc. G_d help us all.

"They wanted Hellboy, they got Hellboy."
-superking

Fully ordained Dudeist Priest, CLDD in good standing, available for weddings, funerals, and league semifinals, PM me.
the chief
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

Postby Buttercup » 10 Jul 2009, 00:57

Our house has baby gates to separate the cat and the dog. The dog (a dogfight puppy) loves the cat but the cat scratches the shit out of his face. We keep 'em apart because we're worried the dog will start fighting back and shred the cat.

The kitten ignores all border controls and gets on fine with everyone.
'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof'

Before you lovingly craft your PM, make like any writer and consider your audience. With all the information at your disposal, is there any possibility that the recipient will open it? Would your time be better employed?
Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby omerojs » 10 Jul 2009, 07:34

well I think that u need to apply a little more discipline to the dog, when u are home, as soon as u see any kind of aggression from the dog towards the cats then you do something to snap him out of that state of mind "like the dog whisperer says lol" and that actually works. get the cat next to you and the dog on the other side, and let them relax without touching each other but been near and with you in the middle, if one of them wants to run force them to stay where u want them to stay, and remember, whenever u see a growling or something from the dog make a sound and give him a touch on the shoulders, that will put him in a different state of mind...
that is what i did with the ferret and the dog... now they dont really play but they can be next to each other, walk together, sit together and even drink water from the same bowl ... there is one episode from Cesar Milan where he deals with a cat dog situation and that is what he does... check it out, I know its in a torrent waiting for you to download it and learn from it !!
Just about Everything can be done in Taiwan!!
omerojs
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

Postby Icon » 10 Jul 2009, 09:55

Yep, I've tried that and as long as I am there, there is a truce in the hostilities.

However, I do not think Caesar has said anything about cats being aggressive or cheese snack theft!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Icon » 06 Feb 2010, 15:04

The war is still going on.

I bought the dog a beautiful sweater for Christmas. It goes missing a few days ago. As I start spring cleaning, I find it in the furthest corner under the bed. To make it worse, the cats peed on it. It is as if they wanted to make sure I am clear with their displeasure. I am, believe me. Their jealosy of the dog comes loud and clear.

They drink from his bowl -even though they have 4 of their own- and eat his food -if there is some on the plate -no matter if they must leave tuna on their own disehs behind.

And about the barriers: now the cat waits behind the gate, and when the dog is near enough, he just leans over and in one swift movement, POW!, a quick slash with the claws right on the dog's nose. You blink, you miss it. The dog is left all confused -what happened?- and most of the time sitting on his butt, wide eyed.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Dragonbones » 06 Feb 2010, 15:10

the chief wrote:Maybe you're going to have to get a more compatible pair of pets.

You know, something like a Tyrannosaurus Rex and a goat tethered to a stake, for example...

I like the way you think.
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Icon » 30 Oct 2010, 21:56

Eh, how do you guys feel about a muzzle?

The new doggie has the speed and cunning to catch up with the cats. The barriers that stop Toto on his tracks meet nothing to him. The only thing he has in common with Toto is going after the cats and barking when he sees them -which is funny since Toto cannot see them. When he was in the balcony it was OK, separate states. But in this weather we are all in the living room and things get interesting. That is not a safe/healthy situation.

I am thinking a muzzle for both Toto and Bobby, so they can wander around, go about their business, but do no harm to teh cats should they need to cross dog territory -living room- to get to theirs -balcony or my bed.

So far, going Caesar has not produced much effect.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Icon » 20 Nov 2013, 16:13

OK, I am tired of this. Yesterday, I went to a friend's home, and while not all is love and peaches, the cats and dogs sort of get along... and they met like a week ago.

In my home, it's been what, 5 years, and we are still with the baby gates and hiss and steal treats and hide clothes and ... I am tired of it. I want to use just one heater, so we can all sleep warm in one room. I want to avoid breaking my neck every time I go from one room to the other because my slipper gets stuck in the baby gate. No more.

One thing I've never done is to let them have it out. But I am afraid of the vet bill afterwards.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals