Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Where to buy a ferret?

Re: Where to buy a ferret?

Postby fenlander » 20 Jan 2011, 23:43

Yes wrote:They ARE completely different. I have two who stayed with my ex in New York, as well as one who died last year, and they are the gentlest, sweetest little guys. The ones that are bred as pets that I have met are basically completely helpless. The one who died last year actually lived with escaped pet mice without hunting them. Of the two who are still alive, Pinky refuses to eat meat in any recognizable form and is scared of worms. Oliver tried to bite my hamster so I guess he's still got some hunting instincts but in their three years, they have never bit anyone out of anger, even when I clean their wounds or their ears or do something else unpleasant. They bite me very gently when we're playing, unless they get too excited, and even then they have never broken skin, and they do still have their canines. It sounds awful to remove them.

I think I got a little too excited in the defense of ferrets

Ah okay that makes sense. I kept working ferrets that came from working lines so what you say is logical. Pet breeders would select the more gentle ones for breeding. It is no good for business if customers get bit. We never used ferrets against rats just rabbits as big rats will often stand and fight.
fenlander
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
 
Posts: 2513
Joined: 28 Feb 2005, 12:50
25 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)



Re: Where to buy a ferret?

Postby Stray Dog » 15 Feb 2011, 14:06

We're currently looking for a suitable home for this recently rescued ferret badger, actually a wild animal but so far not seeming to bite. I'll upload photos soon, but you can check them out at this link for now:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=615351&id=887415124&l=0b2adf95ea

If you know of someone who is able to give little Tanuki the kind of home he needs, please contact me today: seanimals@gmail.com or 0920 620 109.

Thank you!


Seán
SUPPORT ANIMAL RESCUE WHEN SERVICING, SOURCING, REPAIRING, OR BUYING A CAR THROUGH AUTOCHECKERS!

I'm NOT SO ACTIVE HERE ANY MORE. IF YOU NEED HELP WITH AN ANIMAL RESCUE OR DOG-BEHAVIOUR ISSUE, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT s e a n i m a l s @ g m a i l . c o m OR CALL 0920 620 109. THANKS!

Want to learn how the dog whisperer does his magic? Learn the simple but highly effective tricks to bringing about positive change in your dog: http://seanimals.blogspot.com/

"I will be quoted in someone's signature, even if I have to do it myself!"—Stray Dog
Forumosan avatar
Stray Dog
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
 
Posts: 6092
Joined: 04 Jun 2004, 16:45
Location: Xinbei, in the mountains near Wulai
3 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)



Re: Where to buy a ferret?

Postby fenlander » 16 Feb 2011, 08:44

Stray Dog wrote:We're currently looking for a suitable home for this recently rescued ferret badger, actually a wild animal but so far not seeming to bite. I'll upload photos soon, but you can check them out at this link for now:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=615351&id=887415124&l=0b2adf95ea

If you know of someone who is able to give little Tanuki the kind of home he needs, please contact me today: seanimals@gmail.com or 0920 620 109.

Thank you!


Seán

Why is it taling so long to get the gin traps banned? I do not understand the delay is there much opposition. Have you sent these pictures to a local newspaper? Perhaps it is worth to do that.
fenlander
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
 
Posts: 2513
Joined: 28 Feb 2005, 12:50
25 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)



Re: Where to buy a ferret?

Postby Naughtius » 16 Feb 2011, 11:33

xiaojuan wrote:Despite their claims, Taiwanese importers and pet stores don't know anyyyyything about ferrets.

I think the same goes for every other animal they sell, too.
Forumosan avatar
Naughtius
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 288
Joined: 15 Aug 2010, 12:57
2 Recognized(s)



Re: Where to buy a ferret?

Postby Stray Dog » 16 Feb 2011, 13:56

fenlander wrote:
Stray Dog wrote:We're currently looking for a suitable home for this recently rescued ferret badger, actually a wild animal but so far not seeming to bite. I'll upload photos soon, but you can check them out at this link for now:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=615351&id=887415124&l=0b2adf95ea

If you know of someone who is able to give little Tanuki the kind of home he needs, please contact me today: seanimals@gmail.com or 0920 620 109.

Thank you!


Seán

Why is it taling so long to get the gin traps banned? I do not understand the delay is there much opposition. Have you sent these pictures to a local newspaper? Perhaps it is worth to do that.


We're working with the Apple Daily to out out a big story about how bad this makes Taiwan look.
SUPPORT ANIMAL RESCUE WHEN SERVICING, SOURCING, REPAIRING, OR BUYING A CAR THROUGH AUTOCHECKERS!

I'm NOT SO ACTIVE HERE ANY MORE. IF YOU NEED HELP WITH AN ANIMAL RESCUE OR DOG-BEHAVIOUR ISSUE, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT s e a n i m a l s @ g m a i l . c o m OR CALL 0920 620 109. THANKS!

Want to learn how the dog whisperer does his magic? Learn the simple but highly effective tricks to bringing about positive change in your dog: http://seanimals.blogspot.com/

"I will be quoted in someone's signature, even if I have to do it myself!"—Stray Dog
Forumosan avatar
Stray Dog
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
 
Posts: 6092
Joined: 04 Jun 2004, 16:45
Location: Xinbei, in the mountains near Wulai
3 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)



Re: Where to buy a ferret?

Postby Mother Theresa » 16 Feb 2011, 14:12

Stray Dog wrote:
fenlander wrote:Why is it taking so long to get the gin traps banned? I do not understand the delay is there much opposition. Have you sent these pictures to a local newspaper? Perhaps it is worth to do that.


We're working with the Apple Daily to out out a big story about how bad this makes Taiwan look.


Is there "much opposition" (aside from a few foreigners)?

Do the Taiwanese care about social issues? Environmental issues? Gin traps?

Don't they still have eviscerated snakes and turtles hanging in Snake Alley?

Don't they cram chickens in tiny cages and butcher them in public markets?

Don't they still eat shark fin soup?

Don't they still have Chinese "herbal remedy" shops all over the place that sell various parts hacked from the corpses of hapless animals?

Why would you think they would care about gin traps?

Not that I'm ungrateful for your efforts to raise awareness. That sure is a cute little critter and it's horrific to think of that trap on his leg. They are barbaric. Good for you for trying to do something about it. Just wondering what kind of response you'll receive.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 12159
Joined: 13 Sep 2002, 07:53
Location: Taipei
14 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)



Re: Where to buy a ferret?

Postby fenlander » 16 Feb 2011, 23:56

I heard there is a new type of gin trap available. A larger version that takes the leg clean off so they don't lose the trap; thus saving the cost of having to buy a new one. Interestingly I saw the foot of a dog lying in the park that had been taken clean off.

A Taiwanese friend of mine was talking about how touched she felt when her friend treated her to very expensive shark fin soup. She was taken aback at my disapproval.
fenlander
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
 
Posts: 2513
Joined: 28 Feb 2005, 12:50
25 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)



Re: Where to buy a ferret?

Postby fenlander » 17 Feb 2011, 00:00

fenlander wrote:I heard there is a new type of gin trap available. A larger version that takes the leg clean off so they don't lose the trap; thus saving the cost of having to buy a new one. Interestingly I saw the foot of a dog lying in the park that had been taken clean off.

A taiwanese friend of mine was talking about how touched she felt when here friend treated her to very expensive shark fin soup. She was taken aback at my disapproval.



by the way MT I don't think most do care about the humane side if it; however,Taiwanese do definitely care about their image and worry about losing face. Therefore I feel that Stray Dog is taiking the right approach in stressing the International Image angle rather than the humanitarian side of it.
fenlander
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
 
Posts: 2513
Joined: 28 Feb 2005, 12:50
25 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)



Re: Where to buy a ferret?

Postby nemesis » 17 Feb 2011, 00:03

fenlander wrote:I heard there is a new type of gin trap available. A larger version that takes the leg clean off so they don't lose the trap; thus saving the cost of having to buy a new one. Interestingly I saw the foot of a dog lying in the park that had been taken clean off.


Unbelievable. :noway:

If such a thing exists, I hope it gets enough people-toes to get the stupid thing off the market. How can such an upwardly-mobile country still have such common, trashy, yokelish ideas in such disgusting abundance? When my dog got a gin trap on her leg, she was in PURE AGONY (luckily, she got off with some sprained/mislocated toes)! Sick bastards.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mahatma Gandhi
Forumosan avatar
nemesis
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
 
Posts: 1556
Joined: 24 Jun 2002, 16:01
Location: Hsinchu
11 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)



Re: Where to buy a ferret?

Postby Stray Dog » 17 Feb 2011, 01:58

Mother Theresa wrote:
Stray Dog wrote:
fenlander wrote:Why is it taking so long to get the gin traps banned? I do not understand the delay is there much opposition. Have you sent these pictures to a local newspaper? Perhaps it is worth to do that.


We're working with the Apple Daily to out out a big story about how bad this makes Taiwan look.


Is there "much opposition" (aside from a few foreigners)?

Do the Taiwanese care about social issues? Environmental issues? Gin traps?

Don't they still have eviscerated snakes and turtles hanging in Snake Alley?

Don't they cram chickens in tiny cages and butcher them in public markets?

Don't they still eat shark fin soup?

Don't they still have Chinese "herbal remedy" shops all over the place that sell various parts hacked from the corpses of hapless animals?

Why would you think they would care about gin traps?

Not that I'm ungrateful for your efforts to raise awareness. That sure is a cute little critter and it's horrific to think of that trap on his leg. They are barbaric. Good for you for trying to do something about it. Just wondering what kind of response you'll receive.


I appreciate the questions!

There is a fair bit of local opposition and has been for many years. I attended a protest outside one of the govt buildings a few years back and I was one of only a few foreigners out of hundreds of other people. There was a another even bigger protest organized recently but which I wasn't able to attend. Like dolphin slaughter in Japan, though, the majority of people just aren't aware it's happening, hence using the media to show the barbaric truth.

And there is also a fairly large local movement attempting to reduce harm to the environment. Just as with animal-welfare orgs, there are a fair number of environmental groups here in Taiwan. When we went to check out the Greenpeace ship last month, I was surprised to hear that thousands of locals had been to check it out. Orgs like Wild At Heart are also doing incredible work in that regard, and when you check out their news postings, you see that just as many people attend events to promote environmental awareness as would in our home countries.

Snake Alley still stains the Taipei landscape and it's something I have long wanted to tackle. There is still a lot of horrific treatment of the snakes and turtles as well as dog-fighting videos on display. If anyone has any solid suggestions on how to get these businesses shut down, please let me know. Be aware that there is obviously gangster element involved and these activities take place right under the nose of the police station just one block away. With regard to the turtles being beheaded (while both head and body live on for quite a while afterwards), I've been told that there is really no other way to kill such an animal; my argument, though, is that this does not make it fit for entertainment.

Chicken cruelty is still prevalent in markets, but just before I left the SPCA, we were putting together a campaign to highlight the abuse that goes on in the name of food, and I hope that will still go ahead, as the food industry causes more unnecessary suffering than all the other animal-exploitative industries put together.

Taiwan is actually the hub of the shark-fin industry; again, it needs education to get people to change, though, considering the importance of face in this country, a wise animal-welfare or -rights group would embark on a campaign to promote some other--humane--food as the 'new' essential face-giver and deride shark-fin as cheap and passé by comparison; perhaps something that uses rare, expensive, organic vegetables and spices, or perhaps truffles, or similar.

I don't know anything about animal parts in Chinese medicine here, other than many banned products, such as tiger penis, can be found.

I think the Taiwanese would care about gin traps once they see the suffering involved, the kind of people who use them, and the damage it does to Taiwan's reputation in the international community. We're opening a rescue centre in the Wulai area soon, and I'm seriously considering promoting it as almost exclusively for animals maimed by traps. We were called out to rescue four just last week alone.

We have to believe we can make a difference, regardless of the odds; if we can't, then there really would be no hope at all. If spitting betelnut can be phased out, then so can the practice of laying traps as deterrents or hunting devices.
SUPPORT ANIMAL RESCUE WHEN SERVICING, SOURCING, REPAIRING, OR BUYING A CAR THROUGH AUTOCHECKERS!

I'm NOT SO ACTIVE HERE ANY MORE. IF YOU NEED HELP WITH AN ANIMAL RESCUE OR DOG-BEHAVIOUR ISSUE, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT s e a n i m a l s @ g m a i l . c o m OR CALL 0920 620 109. THANKS!

Want to learn how the dog whisperer does his magic? Learn the simple but highly effective tricks to bringing about positive change in your dog: http://seanimals.blogspot.com/

"I will be quoted in someone's signature, even if I have to do it myself!"—Stray Dog
Forumosan avatar
Stray Dog
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
 
Posts: 6092
Joined: 04 Jun 2004, 16:45
Location: Xinbei, in the mountains near Wulai
3 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext




Proceed to Pets & Other Animals



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 visitor

The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age -- LUCILLE BALL