Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Dogging My Footsteps

Re: Dogging My Footsteps

Postby Icon » 27 Sep 2013, 14:12

After fighting against them two years ago and almost losing the battle... hell, no!
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Ducked » 04 Oct 2013, 10:05

Update in case anyone's interested. Goh-2 seems to have recovered from the immediate effects of the treatment.

There's no obvious improvement in general condition, but I suppose that wouldn't be expected yet. This infection is apparently difficult to clear, and its apparently difficult to tell when it has cleared, since the antibodies persist, though they don't confer immunity to re-infection. There are also autoimmune sequalae which continue even when the bacteria are gone.

From a quick check a few days ago he still seems to have ticks, despite the vet's treatment, though they may have been dead ones still embedded (if that happens?)

I'll try and have a better look, but have been preoccupied with work lately, and (after the visit to the vet) he's not so easy to handle.
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Ducked
"Drinks for the House!"

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Ex Animo » 26 Oct 2013, 09:49

We have 120 dogs in what should be a tick-infested area, but we count maybe one or two ticks found on maybe one or two dogs every one or two months. That's because the dogs all get garlic every day—about one clove per 20 kg. It works. Wisely skeptical Forumosans tested my claim in a previous thread and all reported that garlic was more efficient at keeping ticks off dogs than the parasiticides that people usually use. Try it and see.
sean@thesanctuarytaiwan.org / 0920 620109

Call me for emergency animal rescue; any time of day or night is fine for real emergencies
Ex Animo
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

In Taiwan since: 25 Mar 1999

Postby Ex Animo » 26 Oct 2013, 09:52

And, by the way, we've had a great success rate treating ehrlichiosis (and babesiosis). For severe cases, where the dog has become anaemic and very weak, a blood transfusion is usually necessary and successful. We have donor dogs who have saved the lives of several dogs with severe babesiosis; we'll be happy to lend them for a blood transfusion for your campus dog if needed.

Seán 0920 620 109
sean@thesanctuarytaiwan.org / 0920 620109

Call me for emergency animal rescue; any time of day or night is fine for real emergencies
Ex Animo

In Taiwan since: 25 Mar 1999

Postby Ducked » 06 May 2016, 19:39

Ex Animo wrote:And, by the way, we've had a great success rate treating ehrlichiosis (and babesiosis). For severe cases, where the dog has become anaemic and very weak, a blood transfusion is usually necessary and successful. We have donor dogs who have saved the lives of several dogs with severe babesiosis; we'll be happy to lend them for a blood transfusion for your campus dog if needed.

Seán 0920 620 109

Didn't see this at the time, but a belated thanks.

Here we go again. Same dog lacks energy and is coughing, and mosquito population seems to have exploded this year, probably due to the atypical rainfall, so heart worm seems very likely.

I'll need to get him to a vet, which won't be easy, since he's got a long memory for needles, plus my car's broken.

If he's clear I suppose I'll have to start him on preventatives, though I dunno if he'll take pills.

I've also wondered about the practicality of some sort of mosquito-proof kennel or mesh tent. Can dogs used to sleeping out be trained to use such a thing?
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Ducked
"Drinks for the House!"

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Pets & Other Animals