taking a baby carseat on a plane

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

taking a baby carseat on a plane

Postby DinTaipei » 12 May 2012, 20:51

Hi, my wife and my one year old son will travell back to Germany for vacation this year. To prepare for the trip I read a lot of articles and the common judgment has been that children of that age should travel in a baby carseat. The airline told us we would need a car seat which is internationally certified for using on an aircraft - but couldn't tell us which seats or where to buy in Taiwan. Going back on the internet I learned that the seat needs to be approved by the American FAA. Now I have been to more or less all babyshops in Taipei and no seat seems to have this FAA-sticker on it.Even on combi corroco which is sold in the USA as FAA certified lacks this certification in Taiwan. The CARE system seems to be interesting, but according to the pictures it looks like our son is still to small for it.

Can anybody help me getting a FAA licensed baby car seat for children from 10 kg /20 pounds on? Either telling me where to buy or sell second hand or lent. I am specially interested in the Seat'n'Stroll stroller car seat combination.

Thanks for every suggestion!
DinTaipei
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)

Re: taking a baby carseat on a plane

Postby 914 » 12 May 2012, 22:30

Hi,

The cosco scenera is faa approved and is the lightest and easiest to travel with. See if you can find that anywhere. It sells for less than $50 usd, btw. Its not a cushy seat tho, but people use blankets.

The sit n stroll is faa approved also. In concept its great, but it is heavy. However, i prefer traveling with one item, rather than a seat and a stroller. It is comfy. It kind of feels flimsy, but it has held up well. They sell for around $200 usd.

The cares harness is for age two and above.

How long are you going for? If you cant find an faa approved seat, contact me, maybe i can loan u ours.
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.

This post was recommended by DinTaipei (12 May 2012, 23:42)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby mamaky » 12 May 2012, 23:06

If you're travelling with your wife, then the Sit 'n Stroll is overkill in my opinion. You can get by without using the stroller part (which is only good for airport usage really.. you do not want to use it for normal stroller situations) because your other half can hold him. The Sit 'n Stroll is indeed comfy for them, but the stroller component makes it heavy as 914 said. And if you're not going to be using it as a stroller around the airport, then I wouldn't buy it. Their comfort is the most important, especially on the longer hauls so that they can sit for much longer periods of time.

Don't forget some kind of visual entertainment for them too!

Good luck.
mamaky - flash-sales of American Baby & Kid Brands.
http://mamaky.com
Visit our blog
mamaky

Postby DinTaipei » 13 May 2012, 00:02

Thanks for the quick replay.
mamaky wrote:If you're travelling with your wife, then the Sit 'n Stroll is overkill in my opinion...

Don't forget some kind of visual entertainment for them too!

Good luck.

My wife will have to travell at least one way alone. In Germany we can get a stroller from friends so the sit'n'stroll would be for airport and plane only. I like it because my wife wouldn't have to take a stroller and a seat all by herself but I don't know where to get one in Taipei. Thanks for the hint with the entertainment.

914 wrote:How long are you going for? If you cant find an faa approved seat, contact me, maybe i can loan u ours.

Thanks for the offer. For the moment I still hope to buy one somewhere - this will probably not be our last flight and if I can't get a seat here I will try to buy one in Grrmany and than coming back with two seats could be a bit tricky. But if I really don't get a seat I may come back on your offer.

Thanks
DinTaipei

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)

Postby Echang222 » 17 May 2012, 14:13

I think it all depends on the baby's size. If an infant, for me the front carrier works best. If a bit bigger, I chose to just use my lap (or the empty sit net to you if you are lucky). If older, yes get travel gear and entertaniment is a must
Echang222

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Parenting