Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Need advice on a sick kid

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

Need advice on a sick kid

Postby sandman » 02 Jul 2011, 11:50

Home alone this weekend. Kept awake all last night with a child running 39.7 temperature. This morning he's lethargic, clingy, refuses food -- even ICE CREAM! (OK, OK, so I was desperate.) I don't mind missing the whisky tasting session at Taipei Artist Village this pm, but I still have to take the dog out, get messages, etc. What would you do? He just wants to sit on the couch and whine, poor little man. I have to take him with me, though. I can't just leave at home on his own.
What a PAIN in the ARSE!
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

ORIGINAL POSTER
28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Re: Need advice on a sick kid

Postby jimipresley » 02 Jul 2011, 11:53

Have you tried paracetamol to lower the temperature?
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

986 Recommends(s)
373 Recognized(s)

Postby Toe Save » 02 Jul 2011, 11:55

I'm no Da, but I've played one on TV. Seriously Sandy, a fever means whatever is ailing your wee one is being fought off. I'm sure everything will be fine lad. Keep your stick on the ice and walk your dog.
Forumosan avatar
Toe Save
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

55 Recommends(s)
50 Recognized(s)

Postby zender » 02 Jul 2011, 11:57

Do you have any cartoon DVDs? I find that if I put on a few cartoons, I am able to forget about crying and wimpering kids more easily. Don't let this whiney kid get in the way of your whisky tasting and massages. :neutral:
zender
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

82 Recommends(s)
110 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 02 Jul 2011, 12:02

jimipresley wrote:Have you tried paracetamol to lower the temperature?

I have some liquid infant Tylenol somewhere, but I don't want to give it -- as Toe points out, the fever means his body is fighting whatever it is. I'd prefer to let it run its course. Just worried about taking him out when he's like this, but if I don't, there's going to be nothing for him to eat when he DOES get better... and the dog will shit on the floor.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

ORIGINAL POSTER
28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 02 Jul 2011, 12:12

Don't worry. We'll get someone to bring you some food. and we'll send zender over to clean up the dog shit.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 02 Jul 2011, 12:55

sandman wrote:

I have some liquid infant Tylenol somewhere, but I don't want to give it -- as Toe points out, the fever means his body is fighting whatever it is. I'd prefer to let it run its course. Just worried about taking him out when he's like this, but if I don't, there's going to be nothing for him to eat when he DOES get better... and the dog will shit on the floor.

Give that kid the prescribed dose of that Tylenol immediately. Double check the dosage. Kids throw up fevers all the time. It's they're immune system learning to live in our world. It's normal, but fever can do more damage than the right dose of Tylenol. And actually, it's bordering on abuse not to. Why prolong the suffering? It's the fever that's making him feel like shit.

And never take medical advice from a Cannuck. Fer fecksake, think Mordeth!

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!

This post was recommended by divea (02 Jul 2011, 13:59)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 02 Jul 2011, 12:58

Huang Guang Chen wrote:
sandman wrote:

Give that kid the prescribed dose of that Tylenol immediately. Double check the dosage. Kids throw up fevers all the time. It's they're immune system learning to live in our world. It's normal, but fever can do more damage than the right dose of Tylenol. And actually, it's almost abuse not to. Why prolong the suffering? It's the fever that's making him feel like shit.

HG

He's sleeping restfully right now and the temp's down to 39. The tylenol is still in the sealed carton, but its a year out of date, so I can't give him that.
Edit: He's now down to 38.7 and sleeping peacefully.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

ORIGINAL POSTER
28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Toe Save » 02 Jul 2011, 13:03

Huang Guang Chen wrote:
And never take medical advice from a Cannuck.

HG

That's true. I usually prescribe a well-baked cookie for all that ails ya.

Glad to hear the bairn is on the mend.
Forumosan avatar
Toe Save

55 Recommends(s)
50 Recognized(s)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 02 Jul 2011, 13:08

You should load up on Tylenol ASAP. Seriously bad things can happen to kids through simple fevers. Cooling by fan, AC, sponge bath and so on is all good, but you want that shotgun (the Panadol) in the cupboard in case things get silly. Can you recall the last time you had a temp pushing 39c? I can, and you feel like complete shit.

Hopefully he's spiked and over the worst of it. Horrid being a da sometimes. Commiserations.

Cheers.

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Parenting