What is expected of the husband during 坐月子 (zuo yue zi/sitting month)?

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

Re: What is expected of the husband during 坐月子 (zuo yue zi/sitting month)?

Postby Wookiee » 30 Apr 2012, 00:23

Most of the major hospitals will have a department of Chinese Medicine. We were at the biggest: Chang Gung Memorial in Linkou.
--
......... __ o
.........-\<,
......(O) (O)...........
Forumosan avatar
Wookiee
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 30 Apr 2012, 12:22

zmikers wrote:This is the problem I am facing. I support my wife 100 percent. She does not want to follow the strict Yue Zi rules (some she will follow), but everyone in her life treats her like an outcast because of this, to the extent of people taking time off work to visit her in order to "convince" her, and her sister almost disowning her. I really wish people would respect my wife's wishes. They are turning this beautiful time in our life into a nightmare.

This is why my wife did not go home for zuo yue zi but stayed away in or apartment and gets food delivered, keeps all these busy bodies at arms length. I feel your pain.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1551 Recommends(s)
568 Recognized(s)

Postby 914 » 04 May 2012, 22:39

What is expected of the husband?

Foot massage
Back massage
Pick up takeout
Stock the fridge and pantry with whatever your wife needs to produce wholesome milk for your child: beer, wine, cheese, baguette, fruit salads, soups, anything that strikes her fancy including nachos and pizza. When she says she wants organic ground white corn tortilla chips with homemade salsa, you better have fresh tomatoes on hand and Jason's supermarket on speed dial
Pick up maxi pads, witch hazel gel, hemorrhoid creams, whatever products are needed to ease the discomfort of her nether regions that gave birth to your child. Start googling those items in Chinese
Learn you child's sleep pattern the moment s/he comes home. If your wife needs to wake you up to change a diaper, you better do it gladly
If your wife is pumping, learn to warm a bottle. If formula, learn to make it.
Laundry, washing bottles
Do not give unsolicited advice. Learn to take orders and complete the task at hand happily, and always ask what else you can do, and how you can do it better.

Hope this helps. :wink:
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby Wookiee » 04 May 2012, 23:29

Jaysus!
That sounds like my life for the last three weeks...to a T.
914 wrote:What is expected of the husband?

Foot massage
Back massage
Pick up takeout
Stock the fridge and pantry with whatever your wife needs to produce wholesome milk for your child: beer, wine, cheese, baguette, fruit salads, soups, anything that strikes her fancy including nachos and pizza. When she says she wants organic ground white corn tortilla chips with homemade salsa, you better have fresh tomatoes on hand and Jason's supermarket on speed dial
Pick up maxi pads, witch hazel gel, hemorrhoid creams, whatever products are needed to ease the discomfort of her nether regions that gave birth to your child. Start googling those items in Chinese
Learn you child's sleep pattern the moment s/he comes home. If your wife needs to wake you up to change a diaper, you better do it gladly
If your wife is pumping, learn to warm a bottle. If formula, learn to make it.
Laundry, washing bottles
Do not give unsolicited advice. Learn to take orders and complete the task at hand happily, and always ask what else you can do, and how you can do it better.

Hope this helps. :wink:
--
......... __ o
.........-\<,
......(O) (O)...........
Forumosan avatar
Wookiee

8 Recognized(s)

Postby Teddoman » 04 May 2012, 23:33

Don't forget spoon feeding meals to her, because one of her hands is holding the baby and the other one is holding her boob in place for the baby and/or massaging the milk out.
Teddoman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 05 May 2012, 12:31

We get food delivered to our place three times a day, the Chinese really know how to cook nutritious food. The chicken and pork soups rock. We also have a nurse that drops by everyday to wash the baby, it's great being able to ask her advice too.
Love the way everything is setup here.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1551 Recommends(s)
568 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 09 May 2012, 03:33

Good thing Taiwanese people don't spoil their loved ones too much :p
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 09 May 2012, 03:53

My wife 3 months preggers tells me the zuo yue zi was instigated in ancient times in the far north of China where winter is bitterly cold and people had neither air-conditioners nor de-humidifiers. The elite lived in big drafty castles, where new mothers with wet hair and no blow-dryers would die like flies. That's why rich men had multiple wives and several hundred concubines. Poor men could only afford one wife at the time but spent less money on heating their hovels.

According to my wife, it's OK to wash her hair within the first month of childbirth. The challenge is separating the myth from the science.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

80 Recommends(s)
158 Recognized(s)

Postby zender » 09 May 2012, 10:13

Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Phillips! :discodance:
zender
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

82 Recommends(s)
110 Recognized(s)

Postby EKHuang » 11 May 2012, 12:59

I think the best thing to do (other than hire help) is to show that you care to be informed or as infomerd as you can be. Show her you are talking to other parents, read books, watch documentaries...I think its all about psychology and making hee feel secure. Good luck!
EKHuang
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Parenting