Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

What is expected of the husband during 坐月子 (zuo yue zi/sitting month)?

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

Re: What is expected of the husband during 坐月子 (zuo yue zi/sitting month)?

Postby StuartCa » 19 Aug 2011, 15:23

pqkdzrwt wrote:Some of it I think makes sense, some of it maybe used to make sense a long time ago..

ie Not going out with the baby for 1 month, got to be a good thing right?
Eating things that are designed to help recover from losing so much blood and help the body heal?

My guess is that it came about because women used to work in the fields and they deserved a month off from hard labour after child birth. Not sure it's so important these days.

I did read somewhere that women in the UK were suffering difficulties after child birth because of the increase in spicy food, so a diet of quite bland food maybe of benefit
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

15 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 19 Aug 2011, 15:34

My guess is that nutrition was formerly poor, and it is hard to produce adequate breast milk (and recover from the blood loss and general trauma during labor) without proper nutrition and some rest.

We get more than enough nutrition nowadays, though, so other than a slight adjustment to ensure adequate protein, calcium, fluids and iron, and to make sure all meats are fresh and nitrate-free (no ham, bacon or sausages!), most of the traditional practices of the sitting month are unnecessary IMO.
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
103 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 19 Aug 2011, 15:45

One thing that comes up a lot is the fear of catching a cold during the first month. That is said to have dire consequences. I guess it's best avoided at least, and staying at home makes sense there.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

298 Recommends(s)
302 Recognized(s)

Postby ustky » 19 Aug 2011, 15:56

Holy cow!
I guess I stirred a ruckus. Or perhaps forumosa is always this active, I'm just a casual reader.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. I have heard of the mother/baby hotel thing, but she already said she doesn't want to do this. My wife is generally pretty low key on traditions. But as you all suggest, I will do what she tells me. I personally like the idea of chanting naked in the street.
Whip it. Whip it good.
ustky
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Chris » 19 Aug 2011, 16:03

Some of the traditions make sense, such as allowing her a month to recuperate and eat nutritious food.

Others are compete nonsensical, such as the prohibition on washing hair for a month.

Someone with clout and sense needs to come along, take certain traditions by the horns, and winnow out the stupid stuff while keeping the good stuff.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

85 Recommends(s)
182 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 20 Aug 2011, 23:54

Are mothers-in-law known to insist on this month if the mother is a foreigner?
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby marasan » 21 Oct 2011, 10:10

My wife is about four months into her pregnancy. We didn't do the zuo ye zi thing the first time because we were in the States. Well, things are different now that we are in Taiwan. Also, the wife is convinced she's aged more than she should have after having our daughter because we didn't do the sitting month business the first time around. I have some questions. How much does this cost for the companies that offer delivery service? Are there any companies anyone can recommend? Is there a big difference between the companies? Thanks!
marasan
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

17 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 21 Oct 2011, 10:18

I can NOT recommend our lady, who brought round bowls of foul smelling fish soup for 30 days in a row.
With the mother-in-law in permanent residence too, that was one long month.
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

73 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Postby marasan » 21 Oct 2011, 14:22

Nuit wrote:I can NOT recommend our lady, who brought round bowls of foul smelling fish soup for 30 days in a row.
With the mother-in-law in permanent residence too, that was one long month.

I was imagining more of a Chinese medicine smell. And my wife can't wash her hair for a freakin' month? That can't end up smelling too great.
marasan

17 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby EddieG » 21 Oct 2011, 23:05

That my wife doesn't believe in all that stuff is what makes me confident in our marriage.
-
EddieG
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

4 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Parenting