Is this child abuse?

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

Is this child abuse?

Postby bababa » 26 Oct 2011, 05:33

The 11-year-old son of a mother I know pretty well (a Western mother) asked his mom if he had any pubic hair, and then asked her to look. She did, and also touched his penis. He was really upset, to the point that he ran to the bathroom and was vomiting. Is this child abuse? (I don't get why he asked her such a question in the first place, mind you.) And what, if anything, do you think I should do?
bababa
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

ORIGINAL POSTER
21 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Re: Is this child abuse?

Postby housecat » 26 Oct 2011, 07:13

This eleven year old child said and did this in front of you? And the mother looked for pubic hairs in front of you? That's very odd behavior. I'd never expect something like that to take place, so there may be something wrong somewhere.

Without witnessess, I'd say that a mother looking at her son's private parts--at his request--is not abusive. I'd also say that a mother touching her son's penis in a non-sexual way, as part of a requested inspection, or by accident while looking would not be abusive.

The child's reaction is very strange, however. Someone ELSE may be abusing the boy and he may not know of any other way to express himself about it.

Unfortunately, I don't know what to tell you to do. I'd be afraid of talking to the kid in private, or in confidence, because maybe he'd be upset or confused about your intentions. You could talk to him mother, if you wanted to, but without other evidence that something is going on, you simply have nothing to say to anyone else about it. I don't know if you can call the police and tell them that an eleven year old boy is acting strangely about his penis. You see the problem.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 26 Oct 2011, 07:53

No, I don't think it's child abuse. Kinda a bizarre behavior from Mom though (definitely crossing the personal space boundary) even if she was just horsing around with the boy, esp if she did it in front of the OP or anyone else. The kid overreacting is not really that big of a deal, and the response seems to indicate that he too felt his personal space was violated.

Not your kid. Let it go. And unless you have real proof of abuse, back off.

Someone ELSE may be abusing the boy and he may not know of any other way to express himself about it.

That's a stretch, and it's not the OP's place to even ask. I know I'd be pretty creeped out if one of my friends asked my son if someone were touching him where his bathing suit covers. :s

I guess I would have a different opinion if Mom were drunk at the time or if this took place in a public place. As it stands, with the information the OP has given, no.
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby Mr He » 26 Oct 2011, 10:42

Sounds like the son is having trust issues of some kind.

My oldest teenage daughter would sometimes forget herself, and run over to wherever I was (Usually kitchen) naked if she had something important to tell me or ask me about. Did freak me out a little the first time, even though I managed to keep my pokerface while pointing out that all the neighbors would be able to see her. Odds are that her stay at the boarding school has cured her of that behavior.

No 2 daughter - hard to see her acting like that, different personalities.
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

51 Recommends(s)
74 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 26 Oct 2011, 14:39

Mr He wrote:My oldest teenage daughter would sometimes forget herself, and run over to wherever I was (Usually kitchen) naked if she had something important to tell me or ask me about. Did freak me out a little the first time, even though I managed to keep my pokerface while pointing out that all the neighbors would be able to see her. Odds are that her stay at the boarding school has cured her of that behavior.

Some people are just nudists at heart. I used to run around naked at 12, and pretty much the only reason I don't now is because I realize it will freak other people out. Actually, I do it at home all the time - I'm sure all my neighbors have seen me naked, but don't care.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Mr He » 27 Oct 2011, 12:34

Well, she used to be shy around be, divorce child and all that...
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

51 Recommends(s)
74 Recognized(s)

Postby justreal » 27 Oct 2011, 12:40

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:
Mr He wrote:My oldest teenage daughter would sometimes forget herself, and run over to wherever I was (Usually kitchen) naked if she had something important to tell me or ask me about. Did freak me out a little the first time, even though I managed to keep my pokerface while pointing out that all the neighbors would be able to see her. Odds are that her stay at the boarding school has cured her of that behavior.

Some people are just nudists at heart. I used to run around naked at 12, and pretty much the only reason I don't now is because I realize it will freak other people out. Actually, I do it at home all the time - I'm sure all my neighbors have seen me naked, but don't care.

TMI
Living in Taiwan, where the girls are women and most of the guys are too...
justreal
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 27 Oct 2011, 17:04

justreal wrote:
tsukinodeynatsu wrote:

TMI

To you, maybe, you prisoner of cloth. But TMI means nothing to the free! :discodance:
tsukinodeynatsu

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Lili » 27 Oct 2011, 17:43

housecat wrote:The child's reaction is very strange, however. Someone ELSE may be abusing the boy and he may not know of any other way to express himself about it.

Very good insight.
An 11-year-old boy running into the bathroom and vomitting because his MOTHER touched him? There is a real problem here and it is not a boy's "privacy" issue.
"I wanted to be puzzled and charmed, to experience the endless, beguiling variety of a continent where you can board a train and an hour later be somewhere where the inhabitants speak a different language, eat different foods, work different hours, live lives that are at once so different and yet so oddly similar. I wanted to be a tourist," Bill Bryson.
"...But I ended up in Taiwan," Lili.

Never underestimate how much assistance,
how much satisfaction,
how much comfort,
how much soul and transcendence there might be
in a cold bottle of beer.
-Tom Robbins
Forumosan avatar
Lili
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

21 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 27 Oct 2011, 18:22

Lili wrote:
housecat wrote:The child's reaction is very strange, however. Someone ELSE may be abusing the boy and he may not know of any other way to express himself about it.

Very good insight.
An 11-year-old boy running into the bathroom and vomitting because his MOTHER touched him? There is a real problem here and it is not a boy's "privacy" issue.

Raised my hackles, too. That 'aint normal by any stretch. More to it, I'd say. Rather you than me to bring it up, though!
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Parenting