Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Home Aquaponics

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

Re: Home Aquaponics

Postby Pingdong » 16 Apr 2012, 04:10

if you are able to add a layer to filter out teh solid chunks, you may be saving your self soem time cleaning later.

the pump pumps up all teh poop and solids that fit through it and it get splashed all over those lovely rocks with rough, air pocketed surfaces filling them and making them slimy and way less effective. also far less nitrogen changing going on.

it takes some months for it to build up depending on how many fish, but it can get pretty gross in time and plant roots like air space, not slimy and slightly anaerobic type stuff.

just putting that hose into a little tub with some filter cloth put in will make things soooo much nicer down the line...unless you plan on replacing frequently, in that case nevermind.
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 16 Apr 2012, 05:45

jd, plan on coming to my house and setting me up with something like this. :D
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
76 Recommends(s)
305 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 16 Apr 2012, 07:07

Pingdong wrote:if you are able to add a layer to filter out teh solid chunks, you may be saving your self soem time cleaning later.

the pump pumps up all teh poop and solids that fit through it and it get splashed all over those lovely rocks with rough, air pocketed surfaces filling them and making them slimy and way less effective. also far less nitrogen changing going on.

it takes some months for it to build up depending on how many fish, but it can get pretty gross in time and plant roots like air space, not slimy and slightly anaerobic type stuff.

just putting that hose into a little tub with some filter cloth put in will make things soooo much nicer down the line...unless you plan on replacing frequently, in that case nevermind.

I don't worry about it, as I replace maybe1/3 of the water each week or so with water from the dehumidifier, or if it looks grimy. Also, something they don't tell you at the fish shop is that the pump needs to be cleaned every week, rinsed out in warm water. The slime builds up and can not so theoretically kill the pump. :s

So, far the best thing that grows in it is lettuce and tomatoes. The peppers don't seem to be working. The brocoli was doing OK, but I moved it outside where it was promptly eaten by caterpillars. :fume: I moved out the tomatoes because they were 3.5 feet tall and not flowering. They are outside now in the sun and I noticed flowers last night. :thumbsup: I tried basil before I had the lights hooked up., but they didn't do so well.

ironlady wrote:jd, plan on coming to my house and setting me up with something like this. :D

I plan on setting up mine almost immediately. :thumbsup: Either with tilapia or trout this time around. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 17 Apr 2012, 22:10

Most things from the mint family will do pretty well depending on species and light. good call on cleaning it, im just lazy :)

very surprisingly you can grow things like green onions and garlic in this kind of system too. but works better with finer material like pumice/perlite. or just putting it on top and shading the top with a board with the plants growing through. beans can do OK as well, but root rot resistant varieties might be wise.

any pics of it ready to pick for dinner?
Pingdong

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 17 Apr 2012, 22:19

This was before I replanted the tomatoes. I snip lettuce off every few days for sandwiches or salads. :thumbsup:
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Parenting