Play groups and Daycare

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

Play groups and Daycare

Postby mjs513 » 29 Mar 2012, 02:08

Just recently moved to the Taipei Xindian area and looking for good daycare for my almost 2 year old daughter. She had been going to a Taiwanese grandmother her whole life just about, so this is very traumatic for both of us, as I've already had to leave her at a place she didn't know at all. Any recommendations for preschools or certified nannies would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to check out as many as possible.

Also wondering if other mothers with toddlers have any play groups or get togethers that I could join. Would love to meet other moms and let my daughter make some friends.

Thanks!
mjs513
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Play groups and Daycare

Postby Isha » 29 Mar 2012, 09:54

Isha
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

22 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby asiababy » 11 Apr 2012, 07:53

Hi there!
There is Taipei City Playgroup that meets every Thursday morning at different places round the city. They post every week on the old Parentpages site. Tomorrow they will meet atY17:

Greetings, Everyone!
The weather is questionable for this this Thursday so we will go to Y17, the Youth Activity Center, for some indoor fun.

Location: On Ren'ai Rd., Bulding No. 17, (at the intersection with Linsen S. Rd.) It is only two blocks from Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall, parallel to Xinyi Rd.

Time: 10:00 - 12:30 (the morning session begins and ends from 9:30 - 12:30, and I should arrive some time around 9:45am.)

Description: There is a large climber with a ball pool, sand pit, playrooms with various toys and activities, and an area with balloons blowing around (my favorite!).

NOTE: ADULTS MUST WEAR SOCKS, but it is optional for children.

Cost: NT$210 that includes child and one adult, if you get the ticket from me. Please try to bring the exact cost if you can because I only have so much spare change. Thanks! (Infants who can not crawl or interact with any toys or equipment are free of charge). The regular cost for this place is NT$450, if you don't have bulk tickets.

NOTE: There is paid parking in the basement and it is located on the side of building facing Ren'ai Rd.

Hope to see you then!

Kelly & Baby Charlotte, #091-664-1144

Updates are posted here every week: http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/viewtopic.php?f=164&t=7804
You can also send me a PM with your facebook info and I'll have you added to the playgroup page, if you would like to be. (You have to be invited into the group.) There are quite a few parents in your area posting on that page.
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
asiababy
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

2 Recommends(s)
46 Recognized(s)

Postby mangoholic » 14 Apr 2012, 00:18

My suggestion would be to put her into the all-day (8-hour) yo-yo ban (nursery school). We sent our (then) 2.5 year old son there, and the first few weeks were tough, but now, the situation is different. Kids should be around other kids playing, not staying at home all day with Mom or Dad. When I go into rural Cambodia and spend time with the indigenous people, I always see flocks of children running around and playing together. They are neighbors, cousins, siblings, etc. And I think that is how it should be -kids playing and running around with other kids all day long -and they can get that in the yo-yo ban, in addition to some language skills (well, at least for us, as our son was speaking English and very little Chinese at that point. Now, 7 months later, his Mandarin has surpassed his English).

Just find the local yo-yo ban, that's my advice.
mangoholic
38 Posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Isha » 14 Apr 2012, 00:42

mangoholic wrote:Just find the local yo-yo ban, that's my advice.

Could you please write the Chinese word for yo yo ban? Will mbe easier for google search.
Isha

22 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby mangoholic » 14 Apr 2012, 17:46

幼幼班 -that's for young kids (under 3, I think). After that it's Xiao ban and then Da ban. Lots of kids, they learn something, they get to play, and you get your day free.
mangoholic
38 Posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Parenting