Potty Training: Public Toilets, the Ultimate Enemy

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

Potty Training: Public Toilets, the Ultimate Enemy

Postby 914 » 13 Apr 2012, 09:15

Here's a funny little article on public toilets and the newly potty trained child. It is one of my biggest fears, second to child kidnapping and being vomited and on at a cocktail party.

I still don't know how to get my son to pee in the public toilet without touching anything. I've held him straight like a plank over the toilet - didn't work, let him use my knee as a "booster" - didn't work, so have resorted to wiping the toilet bowl down on the outside, then layering the front with TP, but he's shorter than the bowl itself so almost always touches the toilet somehow. Ech. And we once used the squat toilet and heck if I know how to get him to pee in there without stepping in or spraying pee on his shoes. I wish I could just have him pee in a cup. So glad Mr 914 handles the bathroom sitch most of the time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb ... 23409.html
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Re: Potty Training: Public Toilets, the Ultimate Enemy

Postby Dragonbones » 13 Apr 2012, 10:35

Great link!

I think a cup is a good idea. I mean, why the heck not? Do what works. :lol:
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 13 Apr 2012, 10:42

Ah, the advantages of having a daughter! Plus I'd always use the disabled toilets where possible. Usually much cleaner, and a lockable environment. Like your own toilet at-home.
Couldn't you reverse position your boy on the squat toilets, so that he's facing away from you? Then if he misses, it's going to go north, rather than south :ponder:
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

74 Recommends(s)
101 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 13 Apr 2012, 15:49

914 wrote:Here's a funny little article on public toilets and the newly potty trained child. It is one of my biggest fears, second to child kidnapping and being vomited and on at a cocktail party.

I still don't know how to get my son to pee in the public toilet without touching anything. I've held him straight like a plank over the toilet - didn't work, let him use my knee as a "booster" - didn't work, so have resorted to wiping the toilet bowl down on the outside, then layering the front with TP, but he's shorter than the bowl itself so almost always touches the toilet somehow. Ech. And we once used the squat toilet and heck if I know how to get him to pee in there without stepping in or spraying pee on his shoes. I wish I could just have him pee in a cup. So glad Mr 914 handles the bathroom sitch most of the time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb ... 23409.html

Mine has taken, in the last couple of weeks, to going by himself. Won't have anyone helping him. I just make sure he washes his hands afterward. Unless he's been picking dung beetles out of dog poop. Then he has to wash before AND after. Next milestone is when he can wipe his own behind. "Daddy! DADDY! COME AND WIPE MY BOTTOM!" is something I hope soon not to hear ever again...
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 13 Apr 2012, 16:19

sandman wrote: "Daddy! DADDY! COME AND WIPE MY BOTTOM!" is something I hope soon not to hear ever again...

I get

"Daddy! DADDY! I've finished POOING AND WEEING!"

but it amounts to the same thing once you get there.
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit

74 Recommends(s)
101 Recognized(s)

Postby 914 » 13 Apr 2012, 16:41

sandman wrote:Mine has taken, in the last couple of weeks, to going by himself. Won't have anyone helping him. I just make sure he washes his hands afterward.

You mean at home, right? Home is fine for us. It's public toilets that I dread. He, like me, only goes #1 at home, thank goodness.

Ours wants to do everything himself, even wiping his butt. We have disposable wet wipes and he gets to wipe, then we (usually I) double checks with an extra wipe or two. Otherwise, you know how the male humans are: they leave tire marks if their mommies are not around. :D
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 13 Apr 2012, 16:51

914, please stop posting new threads. You always manage to find topics that bring back memories I'd successfully repressed. :fume:

When we first arrived here my son had a huge stress out about pooing in a public squat toilet, which lead to a literally fifteen minute loud conversation involving his high anxiety and my supporting, encouraging, pleading, trying-to-stay-calming, to the great interest and entertainment of the many women that visited that toilet while we were at it. I won't say more. It will offend his dignity and I've gotten in trouble for that kind of thing before.

And I've had it the other way too. Try using a public toilet yourself with an energetic two-year-old who keeps trying to open the door when you can't quite reach it to both keep your bum on the seat and hold the door closed at the same time. Meanwhile, the child is asking, 'Mummy, what are you doing? A wee or a poo? What? I can't hear you. Is it a wee or a poo? Mummy, why are you whispering?'

Mother of three boys divulges a secret: boys can pee sitting down. Seriously, it's a lot less trouble to hold a finger in a good position than try to reach a tiny peepee over a high bowl, though I think I've done the propping them on your knee thing too.

Actually, the parents of boys have it easy. 'You want to pee, son? Go find a bush. I'll keep watch'. 'You want to pee, girl? :runaway:
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

86 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby Isha » 13 Apr 2012, 16:55

Very soon one of those ladies is going to be me. I always wondered how I am going to handle that! But then, it seems too complicated to give it a thought :cool:. I would probably carry a support for my son to stand on.
Isha
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

22 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 13 Apr 2012, 17:10

Dragonbones wrote:Great link!

I think a cup is a good idea. I mean, why the heck not? Do what works. :lol:

Before we had children we met a family on a train in CHina, that would make their brat pee in a bottle, sprite bottle. I saw the whole thing...I thought it was because they didn't want the li'l emperor to walk upto the loos he was 4 maybe!
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

367 Recommends(s)
116 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 13 Apr 2012, 17:17

914 wrote:
sandman wrote:Mine has taken, in the last couple of weeks, to going by himself. Won't have anyone helping him. I just make sure he washes his hands afterward.

You mean at home, right? Home is fine for us. It's public toilets that I dread. He, like me, only goes #1 at home, thank goodness.

Naw. He's an equal opportunity defecator. He's quite happy to pinch one off in a squat, a sit-me-down or behind a bush.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Parenting