Swimming Badges / Proficiency

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

Swimming Badges / Proficiency

Postby Nuit » 13 Apr 2012, 10:51

When I were a young 'un, there were swimming badges. Like:
red - 25m swim, blue - 50m, green - 100m

Then it started to get a touch insane; retrieving 'bricks' from the pool floor, swimming in pajamas, tying knots in trousers and using them as buoyancy aids etc.

The gold badge was something like 10 min tread water (pajamas), swim 200m (pajamas), take them off in the water, 15 min tread water, swim 1000m and on and on and on. It took all afternoon, and meant you missed double physics :thumbsup:.

Has anyone come across anything similar in Taiwan? I'd like to put my daughter through this, slowly, as I think swimming is such a useful skill.
She could do the 25m right now.
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
74 Recommends(s)
103 Recognized(s)

Re: Swimming Badges / Proficiency

Postby Tiger Mountaineer » 13 Apr 2012, 15:44

Ask the lifeguards at your local. From what I've seen at the pool I go to, the groups of school kids who come in (maybe grade 5 or 6 and JH students) are not doing anything more challenging than swimming to a bench at the halfway point (12.5m) and back again.

IMHO the biggest impediment to true swimming proficiency in Tw is the lack of a 'deep end' in almost all pools, and therefore, no real chance to practice treading water or actually staying afloat without getting exhausted and pausing.
Forumosan avatar
Tiger Mountaineer
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

11 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 14 Apr 2012, 08:05

Tiger Mountaineer wrote:Ask the lifeguards at your local.

Ho ho. There aren't any. You could 'shallow water blackout' and you'd only be pulled out at closing time.

Tiger Mountaineer wrote:IMHO the biggest impediment to true swimming proficiency in Tw is the lack of a 'deep end' in almost all pools, and therefore, no real chance to practice treading water or actually staying afloat without getting exhausted and pausing.

This is a huge problem and well identified. When you're learning, it's a rite of passage to swim unaided for the first time into deep water (2m+). Still, my kid could do the more basic swimming tests, before we had to worry about that. Though I've asked around locally and been met with blank stares - it's hard enough to find anywhere that even does swimming lessons.

Forumosan avatar
Nuit

ORIGINAL POSTER
74 Recommends(s)
103 Recognized(s)

Postby Tiger Mountaineer » 14 Apr 2012, 12:22

Ho ho. There aren't any.

You're outside Taipei I guess? Maybe no dice then.

I go to one of the Taipei City sports centers. The lifeguards there are actually pretty professional (at least the head life guards) and there are always several on duty. I see them giving what look like standard basic classes for both kids and adults regularly. At one pool, the 50m one by Tai-Da, my friend and I were actually reprimanded for practicing breath holding in the mini pool, even though we were spotting each other carefully.
Forumosan avatar
Tiger Mountaineer

11 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 14 Apr 2012, 17:46

OP, I know you're East - it might not be what you're looking for, but not far behind one of the little villages on the road south from Taidong City (I can look up which one, the name just escapes me right now) is a beautiful stream with very calm water that's quite deep in several areas. The locals all swim in it during summer (it's freezing, crystal clear water) and I can see it being a good place to learn how to swim.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 15 Apr 2012, 08:09

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:OP, I know you're East - it might not be what you're looking for, but not far behind one of the little villages on the road south from Taidong City (I can look up which one, the name just escapes me right now) is a beautiful stream with very calm water that's quite deep in several areas. The locals all swim in it during summer (it's freezing, crystal clear water) and I can see it being a good place to learn how to swim.

I love those swims, and it's not always so freezing in high summer. Hopefully one day Kid will too, although right now she complains if the water isn't bath temperature.

But I was really looking for some kind of fun reward system / mentor to move her swimming onwards, as she doesn't listen to me that much anymore:
"Hey, come on, let's do a length."
"No."

Forumosan avatar
Nuit

ORIGINAL POSTER
74 Recommends(s)
103 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Parenting