Doctor gives my 1 year old ADULT ONLY Medicine

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

Doctor gives my 1 year old ADULT ONLY Medicine

Postby Mordeth » 25 Apr 2012, 09:33

I found some old medicine in the fridge and googled it to see what it is. Found out it's this: http://www.settlepharmacy.co.nz/shop/Pa ... G+10S.html

And that website along with others all say do not give to people under the age of 14. So that means post-puberty only. That means FULL adults only. My son has been giving this drug MULTIPLE times by DIFFERENT doctors (I found more than one package of it in the fridge prescribed by different doctors).

WTF?!?

His first time getting it was when he was ONE YEAR OLD.

One of the things I read about this drug is that if a vulture eats part of an animal that has taken that drug....the vulture's liver shuts down and it dies a short time later.

Adults only, used for chronic CANCER pain, causes liver damage, and they're commonly prescribing it in Taiwan for babies with fevers and bruises.
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

ORIGINAL POSTER
13 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Re: Doctor gives my 1 year old ADULT ONLY Medicine

Postby milkalex » 25 Apr 2012, 09:39

Voltaren? Come on.. that's as common as paracetamol and why would you give a baby pain killers anyway?
milkalex
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

7 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby StuartCa » 25 Apr 2012, 09:41

what quantities is your son being given? The tablets you quote are 12.5mg and it recommends 1 or 2 every 4-6 hours.

Many drugs are given in smaller quantities for infants.

I'm not dismissing your concerns but if you're really worried go back to the doctor and ask or if you now don't trust him go to a hospital. Anything to give you peace of mind.
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

15 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 25 Apr 2012, 10:14

Doctors here are frighteningly blasé about handing out pills. I think it's partly that patients expect a big bag of pills, or they're not happy, so doctors feel pressured to prescribe something. In any case, your first line of defence is to check ANYTHING your doctor gives you. It's just common sense, here or elsewhere. If you have any doubts, and the drug is for something non-critical (bruises or whatever), just throw it away; or at least (as StuartCa says) question the doctor about why he's giving it to you and make sure you get a logical answer (not always a given!).

Diclofenac is quite unusual in the UK (Ibuprofen is the NSAID of choice). I just went and read about it and was surprised by the vulture issue. It's an interesting example of the way misapplication of "safe" technology can have completely unexpected side-effects, multiplied through a chain of interdependent systems.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

855 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

Postby Isha » 25 Apr 2012, 11:36

I usually checkout extensively every medicine and related dose on internet before giving it to my son. Original drug profile from the company usually have complete information about the dosage for every age. I found doctors here, although nice, many a times have no clear idea about how to treat effectively. For example, they think that pushing small clots in the body (during IV blockage) is acceptable while I don't think so. So, I do not allow them to do so with my son. Same is with medicines.
Isha
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

22 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby Indiana » 25 Apr 2012, 13:01

finley wrote:Doctors here are frighteningly blasé about handing out pills. I think it's partly that patients expect a big bag of pills, or they're not happy, so doctors feel pressured to prescribe something.

There is also the fact that doctors get major kickbacks from pharmaceutical companies for prescribing their meds....money, holidays, etc. You can't trust doctors not to prescribe based on their own potential gains.

To the OP, it's good that you research what is being given before you administer it to your child. Taiwanese will typically just take what is given to them without question.
Forumosan avatar
Indiana
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

5 Recommends(s)
39 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 25 Apr 2012, 14:01

Lots of things going on here.

1) Doctors are called, 'quacks,' for very good reason. Science is all about making stuff up.
2) The internet can be a dangerous tool to drive your concerns.
3) Your child is not a vulture and does not eat raw meat at the roadside.
4) Again, as always, this is not a function of Taiwanese doctors being more inept than any other doctors. Doctors are human and fallible. In this case it might just be an interaction between your loving concerns for your son and a bit of ill advised internet snooping. Seeking compaction for your conviction from the flobbers is probably guaranteed but unwise.
5) WHY did you decide to google up some old medicine? Did you have a thought, and then go try to confirm that thought? BINGO! Confirmation bias. You find what you want to find. Even when it isn't pretty.

I don't know you or your son but I doubt very much anything you have allowed other people to guide you to put into your son has had any deleterious effect on his health. The boy is fine. You are not to blame. The doctor is just someone you might want to re-consider asking for advice next time your child is poorly.

Get some calpol.
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

93 Recommends(s)
339 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Parenting