Going Organic

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

Going Organic

Postby EKHuang » 16 May 2012, 09:14

I would like to get organic products including food and materials that my family uses at home. Does anyone know a truly reliable source/place to get them? Thanks a lot.
EKHuang
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Going Organic

Postby Icon » 16 May 2012, 09:46

Both Santa Cruzand Cottonfields have a service where they can prepare a week's worth of veggies for a "family pack". These are big stores and quite reliable. You can also purchase organic onbline, also as a weekly package, with delivery. Same with milk. Four Wayalso delivers two bottles of organic milk a week, or you can order other brands from the stores.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."

TOMMY WAS THE ONE WHO STARTED THE AVATAR BUSINESS!
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

587 Recommends(s)
464 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 16 May 2012, 10:58

I recommend the Fourway milk delivery. Cottonfields is good too; their greens are usually 3 for $100. You can also buy organic veggies in most large supermarkets; look for the words
有機 and higher prices (greens usually $55 per bag at Wellcome, for instance).
Another good outlet is the 248 (organic farmer's market) booth in the food court of the Mitsukoshi just north of the Vie (formerly Warner's) cinemas near city hall. They have organic meats and seafood as well as produce. The shrimp and clams there are good.
Also, put 'organic' in the search function, and search thread titles, returning topics; there's a lot of info on this already.
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, & cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients, as well as many of those ingredients themselves, at our shop in Donghu (Neihu). Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

Postby dahsiung » 16 May 2012, 21:33

I usually buy my organic stuff from the Tongyi Youji (Uni-President Organic Foods) and Li-Ren, but that's mostly because those are my only two options down here.
However, my father-in-law frequently chastises me for this and tells me I'm wasting my money. "Taiwan doesn't have an environment for organic food" Well, he said that in Taiwanese, but his meaning was that no food grown in Taiwan could really be "organic" and so I was wasting my money. Money I should be spending on his beloved daughter and grandchildren. Now, I'm not really sure what to believe. Certainly the recent news about dozens of different kinds of pesticides being found in supermarket fruits and vegetables would give anyone pause. Even when I buy non-organic, I usually prefer to buy from the local open-air markets. Somehow it feels safer, although that's probably just what I tell myself.

As an aside, I often get the feeling these days that a large group of people are trying to poison us - what with the ractopamine, plasticiziers, pesticides, and whatnot. Who are we to trust?
** Try to Laugh **
** Try to Smile **
** Try not to Cry **
** And enjoy your life **
*** Oh, and drink some tea ***
dahsiung
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

4 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 16 May 2012, 22:27

Cottonfields and the Housewives Association. The latter actually began in the 90s as a group of housewives who were worried about food saftey. You need to get a membership (NT1000) and attend a short lecture on what they are and what they do. But if you can't trust these people then there is no one to trust.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

692 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 17 May 2012, 04:21

there are often locally owned ma and pa organic shops. the ones i see are fairly well stocked in the grains and cooking department, these guys I have never seen do fresh produce/meat. dried foods adn canned stuff mostly. also mostly imported (USDA Certified).
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 17 May 2012, 09:51

Tanho Organic Supermarket has seafood, pork, chicken, duck, everything but beef. Veggies, grains, milk products. Soaps, clothes, cleaning stuff. And its own bakery.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."

TOMMY WAS THE ONE WHO STARTED THE AVATAR BUSINESS!
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

587 Recommends(s)
464 Recognized(s)

Postby EKHuang » 17 May 2012, 13:17

A lot of good info to "digest". Thank you very much for all the thoughtful posts. Notes taken!
EKHuang

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby EmeraldOffice » 05 Feb 2013, 21:56

I am seeking the contact information for English-speaking organic food stores throughout Taiwan. I am a nutritionist and want to speak with the stores professionally and as a customer. I want to visit the website, and visit the physical store. Please contact me: tamarosher@gmail.com

I am immediately interested in organic food stores in Taoyuan County.
EmeraldOffice

Postby Aurora01 » 01 May 2013, 04:34

I remember two organic stores:
生機超市 near 天母Baseball Stadium
O’life near NTNU in 師大
Aurora01

2 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Parenting