breast-feeding question

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

breast-feeding question

Postby Vay » 28 May 2012, 01:06

Mrs. Vay has been using a single electric breast pump, but her amount has been steadily decreasing and she finds all the pumping incredibly tedious. We were thinking of renting a double breast pump, but she's concerned the double breast pump won't work because she says she needs a hand free to squeeze as she pumps.

The company that rents them won't let her do a trial and we have to pay for a whole month, so she's afraid to plop down the money. Anyone have relevant knowledge here?
"So given that we all agree that the world is warming, would it be unlikely to have heat waves outpace cold fronts by 3:1? Where's the Gotcha! in that?" - Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
Vay
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

ORIGINAL POSTER
27 Recommends(s)
53 Recognized(s)

Re: breast-feeding question

Postby Teddoman » 28 May 2012, 03:23

Are you using a local TW brand or a Western one? Perhaps a quality issue?

Can't imagine using a single. Doesn't it just double the amount of time it takes to do the same thing? Though I guess if concentrating on only one really allows you to improve the flow, then maybe it's more effective that way. We never tried it.

I think we are using the Medela Freestyle (a double) right now. It straps right on to you so your hands are somewhat free to go back and forth and squeeze whichever breast needs squeezing or adjusting. I think she isn't as active about massaging though, I think she's just happy not to drip :)
Teddoman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby maunaloa » 28 May 2012, 03:26

If she uses a double, you need to assist by massaging.
maunaloa
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 28 May 2012, 05:43

She can encourage milk flow with warm towel compreses and by massaging the breasts. Also, a great way to do this is by nursing her baby. Nurse right. pump left, then swich for next time.

The body is remarkable, and the nursing process particularly so. You wife's body knows the difference between the baby and the pump. Her body will adjust to not only how much and how often the baby nurses, but what times of day, and what the milk contains. As you baby grows, the milk changes. Nutrients change, vitamines change, and antibodies change. For as long as your baby is actually nursing, the milk will always be exactly what the baby needs. It's a pretty marvelous process.

So I'm happy to hear that she's nursing and pumping her milk. It is very healthy for both mother and baby. Please try to keep encouraging her. There is another thread here about a nursing support group. Here's the link:

http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 6&t=109891

Maybe someone there can be of assistance and support. Good on you guys for wanting what's best for your baby.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby touduke » 28 May 2012, 07:19

just my :2cents:
my wife has 'a double' (Medela, Swiss product, bought in Taiwan) which works well and sometimes she just uses one side to be able to increase the output. She drinks Karamalz malt beer from Costco to stimulate milk production. She says it really makes a difference.
Forumosan avatar
touduke
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

67 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby StuartCa » 28 May 2012, 09:30

my wife is using a double and can use them both at the same time.
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

15 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby asiababy » 28 May 2012, 09:35

housecat wrote:She can encourage milk flow with warm towel compreses and by massaging the breasts. Also, a great way to do this is by nursing her baby. Nurse right. pump left, then swich for next time.

The body is remarkable, and the nursing process particularly so. You wife's body knows the difference between the baby and the pump. Her body will adjust to not only how much and how often the baby nurses, but what times of day, and what the milk contains. As you baby grows, the milk changes. Nutrients change, vitamines change, and antibodies change. For as long as your baby is actually nursing, the milk will always be exactly what the baby needs. It's a pretty marvelous process.

So I'm happy to hear that she's nursing and pumping her milk. It is very healthy for both mother and baby. Please try to keep encouraging her. There is another thread here about a nursing support group. Here's the link:

http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 6&t=109891

Maybe someone there can be of assistance and support. Good on you guys for wanting what's best for your baby.

I was also going to recommend that group. There are currently parents from different kinds of situations in the group, and the lady who runs the group as well as Doula Angie have lots of personal experience and years of assisting others with breastfeeding, between them. You might even find someone with a pump they are not using and willing to lend to you. Just post your questions on the facebook group page.

Also, if your wife is away from the baby quite a lot so needs to pump, she could try the 24-nurse-in, where she spends a weekend just nursing the baby at home in bed. This usually really helps with production.
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
asiababy

2 Recommends(s)
46 Recognized(s)

Postby 914 » 28 May 2012, 10:32

Hi, here are some ideas:

Are the breast shields the right size? If her nipples rub against the " tunnel" the shields may be too small
Liquids beget liquids - drink tons of liquids
Mother's Milk Tea can be found at some baby supply stores near hospitals, they enourage milk prduction fr many people
Fenugreek supplements 胡芦巴
Does she have clogged ducts? Does she get engorged?
Put a cup of uncooked rice in a long sock, tie a knot and microwave for 10 seconds and use that as compress as shes pumping
The body makes as much milk as the baby needs, so is she feeding or pumping as per bbys schedule? If she misses feeds, the body will not produce as much
La leche league taiwan info here. Ive never contacted them but lets hope the info is current. http://www.llli.org/taiwanchinese.html
Its a good idea by the pp about borrowing a double pump from someone in the bf support group to try out. Im using my medela pump in styleor id lend it to you. But the hospital grade ones I hear have better suction and people get more results with those, so renting it for a month could be worth the try.

Just some ideas ive picked up along the way. Good luck to your wife. I know how frustrating it can be.
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby Vay » 29 May 2012, 05:06

Gosh people thanks so much for all your feedback. You have been immensely helpful.

I have another thing to ask, and if you think I should direct this directly to the support group, please let me know, but here's the thing: Mrs. Vay is really not liking the breast-feeding. She doesn't have the energy or patience for doing it the regular old-fashioned way, and she finds the pumping tedious and painful as well. She understands there seem to be statistically-demonstrated health benefits to giving the baby breast milk, but I made the mistake of mentioning her that "What to Expect the First Year" said something like 'most of the important benefits can be attained by breast feeding for the first six weeks' and so that's what she's got her heart set on now as liberation day.

However, she did ask whether I can be more specific on what "most of the important benefits" means, so I see a ray of hope for convincing her to stick it out a little longer without being pushy. Can anyone reference me to some pertinent info on that one? Something succinct perhaps? Based on past info, I really do believe that there are important benefits at stake, both for the baby and for her.
"So given that we all agree that the world is warming, would it be unlikely to have heat waves outpace cold fronts by 3:1? Where's the Gotcha! in that?" - Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
Vay

ORIGINAL POSTER
27 Recommends(s)
53 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 29 May 2012, 06:23

http://www.womenshealth.gov/breastfeeding/

That site has useful information. I thought you could use it as a start. It seems to be pretty easy to navigate with everything very compartmentalized. I just googled "benefits of breastfeeding for mother and baby."

If you can get her to attend a meeting with the other women there in TPE, that may help a LOT! I already knew about all the benefits to both mother and baby, and I was still ready to quite at the three month mark. I hadn't gotten that far when I got mastitis. It was very, VERY painful. I insisted my ex go out at 11 pm one night and buy our fist can of formula so that I wouldn't be faced with another excruciating feeding, but he talked me into trying just one more time--promising on pain of death that he'd go straight out after the next time I nursed if I told him to, no more questions. But the next time went wonderfully!

When your baby is still small, nursing--which should seem the most natural thing in the world--can be very difficult. You have to sit there with either not enough milk (my son sucked blood from me for the first three days), or drenched in excess milk which seems to pour from one breast faster than you can absorb it, as you baby nurses from the other. And that's if the baby is latched on correctly. Usually, you're breasts are heavy, warm, and covered with tiny hickies! Depending on delivery methods, it's also sometimes just plain painful/uncomfortable to sit and hold your baby while it nurses. C shaped nursing pillows are available. Buy one of these for your wife if she doesn't have one. They really, really help.

And nursing will wear you out! I put up with a lot of nonsense because I'd be tired after nursing, but a woman's body is making milk, using its own resources to make it, and using its own resources to manufacture it. It takes a lot out of you! So bring your wife a glass of water--you get very thirsty when you nurse--and be extra sweet to her. She deserves it! You may think that the hard part is over because the baby's birth is over, but that's just the most painful part. You wife is still very constantly attached to this little one who needs her, demands physical strength from her, emotional stamina, and further sacrifice of her body itself. It can be very overwhelming and very exhausting.

Take her to a meeting. Talking to other moms about these things will help. Really.

P.S. I ended up nursing not for three months, but for three years! Most women will not do that, and that's okay. The point is that I got through the rough patch. You can help your wife through it, too!
Forumosan avatar
housecat

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Parenting